News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB yesterday, got corolla only with 1LL help.  And I used to drive a Corolla!  Today I'm at genius with all three pangrams, but I have a way to go to QB.  Lots of work to do today—I may not have much time to work on it.

LB:  I finally got the "official" jumbles-sinkhole.  No 2fer yet today.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QBwATHICG for libidinal. And needed a nudge from a friend for linebacker-reflexive. Compounds get me every time!

Oh well, happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams and to QB-3 so far.  Yesterday we had team QB, but I failed to get gangland, idling, bandanna.  That last one always gets me.  I guess it's been too long since I had to remember that spelling.

For LB I also got the schmofficial linebacker-reflexive.  It took me a while to see all of linebacker after having reflexive as a promising contender for most of the day.  And I have a 2fer today!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBwATHICG to find ladling, libidinal, and the alternate spelling, bandanna.  Today I am at QB-3 with all three pangrams. 

LB:  No 2fer yesterday!  I had reflexive, but did not see linebacker.  I found a 2fer today fairly quickly. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangrams and genius. Missed libidinal and bandanna--oh, well.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams (one of them is an aargh!) and above genius. Missed axon, taxon, and a couple more x-words.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams but not to genius yet.  I went on to other puzzles and am trying to finish the crossword currently.  Yesterday I managed to get QBABM at the last minute! My final word was anoint.  We thought axion, anoxia might have been in there.

For LB I got catchup-powerful

We decided to go furniture shopping yesterday since we haven't bought literally any furniture for this house in about 7 years and most was hand-me-downs.  It's exciting, but I am just not a big spender and am trying to get used to the thousands of dollars required to furnish a house even partially.  I am also both an easy customer and bad customer because I don't particularly care about the style (focus on comfort and function), but I am definitely not into southwest decor, unfortunately! I think we may have found a loveseat and dining room table set, but there's more research to do and decisions to make.  Everything is so customizable on the couch, but I sort of just feel like saying just sell me the one on the sales floor and let me be done with it! I guess I am no fun.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH and a new word taxa. LB powerful-latch.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Last words yesterday were anoint and doodad.  Today I am at QB-3, but not having much luck finding the remaining words.

And no success with LB, either—although yesterday I had powerful-latch.

Ab_grp, good luck with the furniture shopping!  It's like shopping for shampoo—too many choices. One's head begins to spin. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. That's probably it for today. Last word was fifteen.

ab_grp, comfort and function override all other considerations, so good luck with your furniture shopping/decision-making!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and a bit past genius so far.  Yesterday we fell short, both missing fifteen.  I was also missing (in)finite, somehow.

And I managed to fail to get a 2fer as well.  I had half of the schmofficial jetways-soupcon solution, and I will let you guess the half.

Thanks for the furniture shopping support! There are definitely about a billion options, even for one particular couch model.  It's staggering.  I also can't let the decision-making take mental energy away from my puzzling!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for fiend despite thinking several times "Oh, but for an r to make fried, friend." And also needed a hint to get jetways-soupcon. Gah.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB yesterday, but only with hints for infinite and identified.  Today I am beyond genius with the pangram.

LB:  Like everyone else, I found jetways yesterday, but did not see soupçon.  I did find a 2fer today, though.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

QB and a twofer.

This link popped up on my Kindle after getting to QB https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/upshot/spelling-bee-buddy.html

I have my own rules for games, so will not be relying on hints for the bee, but posted the link just in case it might be useful to someone. Here is another one--https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/24/upshot/spelling-bee-words.html--I distinctly remember missing tinily and lenity just a few days ago!

ab_grp

Just got a 2fer! Congrats on yours, cathwen and Langue_doc!

And Langue_doc, congrats on your QB, and thanks for the hint links.  I hadn't seen that site before! I also really like the spelling bee words part of it to see % getting words (just from visitors to that hint site, though) and, even better, definitions! Nice to have them all in one place for the hardest words in the puzzle.  Also, I wish you could "play" previous puzzles to try out the hint piece without actually doing it on the active puzzle.  I am avoiding it because of that, but it looks cool! I might load it on my phone in case we want to try that when we compare tonight and don't have team QB (as I expect).