News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Thanks for all the good wishes for my husband's health and for our anniversary.  He still has a fever, and if it continues to go down, he may be able to go home in a couple of days.  Labor Day weekend, anniversary weekend...he sure can pick the times for getting sick!  We'll celebrate later.  What he's worried about now is the choral concert he's supposed to be part of next Saturday.  He will undoubtedly miss rehearsal on Wednesday, and Friday dress rehearsal is iffy.  Fortunately, the group has a good tenor section, so if he cannot sing Saturday, no tragedies will ensue.

Ciao_yall, happy upcoming anniversary to you!

Now for SB:  I can't remember what my last word was, but I used the Bee Buddy to help me to QB.  Maybe belay?

LB:  I had phobias-screwup. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word yesterday was biblical.

cathwen, glad to hear that the fever is going down. It's a good sign to be worrying about the rehearsals. Did you watch the choir at the coronation?

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwG, last word I think was kickball. LB after plenty of 3fers and 3fer b4ss I went to the hints and got vulnerable-edify. Quick 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Two words left to go, and I do have the pangram (though it took a minute).  Yesterday I almost made it to QB but couldn't think of biblical.  We did have team QB.

I also had the schmofficial solution for LB, vulnerable-edify.  And I have another today as well!

Cathwen, I hope your husband is continuing to feel better!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBABM and a quick 2fer. But I missed the Wordle.

cathwen, hospitals are so difficult. So not a healing place. I hope he can come home soon.

ab_grp

I just got QBABM too! Whee.

Sorry to hear about Wordle, ciao_yall.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I made QBABM yesterday!  The last word occurred to me while I was sitting on the sofa, reading email, not even thinking about SB:  Lilac!  Whatever triggered that to bubble up into my consciousness, I cannot guess.  I just made QB today as well. 

LB:  No solution yesterday, and none yet today so far!  Ugh!

My husband is doing a lot better today—no fever, so I'm hoping they'll send him home tomorrow.  Or Thursday. Fingers crossed!

Happy puzzling!

cathwen

Finally found a 2fer! 

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last words were anal and annal.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBABM - last word finial. LB apricot-turnkey.

Happy solving and happy homecoming to Mr. Cathwen!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and a bit past genius so far.  Yesterday I got QBABM with final word alfalfa.

For LB, I also got the schmofficial apricot-turnkey.  I had some other good contenders that didn't pan out.

Hope your husband feels well and can come home, cathwen! Hospitals are very good places to be when things aren't going so well, but it really seems as though recovery accelerates outside of them. 

Langue_doc, did you share your coronation pageantry thoughts somewhere?

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with help from Bee Buddy to find the last word, infill.  Today I have three words to go.  I'm trying to save them for the hospital.

LB:  I *finally* got the "official" apricot-turnkey.  No 2fer yet today, though.

My husband is steadily improving.  He has a nasty bacterial infection that requires intravenous antibiotics, but since he's recovering well, they may be able to send him home and have him to go to an infusion clinic for the remainder of the treatment.  (Infusion clinic—that's a new one for me.). He's dying to get home, and I can't wait to have him back!

In other news, I have graded all final exams and turned in my grades.  Whoopee!  No complaints so far, and it's been two whole hours.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB (I'm still in shock). First and last words were zigzag and algal.

whup/plagiarized

ab_grp, haven't forgotten about the coronation comments. It looks like a very busy three weeks because I'm trying to get in birding while the migration is still in progress. I'm also behind on the bird reports.

I wanted to fit in yesterday's crack-of-dawn bird walk with one of the bird groups. Found a parking spot, got on the train, and transferred to the one that would drop me off at the meeting place. Announcement to the effect that there were major delays on that line and that we should get on the train that I had transferred out of. Time's ticking away, so when I got off 15 or so blocks from the meeting place, I stopped at the agent's booth to see if there were any buses I could take from that stop--none, as I should have known. Then a woman who was in the same compartment asked if I was going on that particular bird walk (she had recognized me from a previous walk in another borough), and suggested that we walk a few blocks and take the train. We did so, knowing that we would be very late, but decided that we would try to catch up. I stopped to ask a small group if they had seen a group with binoculars and was pleasantly surprised when they pointed us in the right direction, and even more surprised to see a small group, most definitely not ours. One of the people in the group assured me that we could join them, highly recommended the leader, and that we didn't have to pay. My subway companion and I stayed with them and had a very pleasant outing, and we also saw several birds, some of them at close range and for considerable stretches of time. Never saw or encountered the group that we were going to join. This was a group from Westchester, about 35-40 miles away!

cathwen, thanks for keeping us updated on husband's progress. As ab_grp noted, home is where you get to recuperate, away from the chaotic (for patients) environment of hospitals. Sending good wishes for continued progress, and coming home soon.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM yesterday—last word glia.

LB:  I had the "official" whup-plagiarized.  A fitting combo for a group of academics!

Husband is home and doing well.  I'm glad not only to have him here, but not to have to make the half-hour trip to the hospital.

Langue_doc, that was some NYC transportation adventure!  I'm glad that you caught up with a birding group and had a good outing. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QBwG and a wild guess for glia. Since it didn't take glial yesterday I wasn't sure what was missing. LB whup-plagiarized and a quick 2fer today.

Happy solving!