News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Got a kind of weird 2fer earlier, but I'm still struggling at QB-3.

Langue_doc, I'm sorry that you didn't have as much bird luck as we did! We had four sparrow types (usually just house sparrow) and two gnatcatcher types (never seen those before).  It's so odd that I thought maybe it's all just one mockingbird or something ridiculous.  Usually we might see up to 8 or so on a good day, so 17 is out there.  We were just talking about whether the assortment might change with the seasons, so I guess maybe this is migration.  I checked out Birdcast, thanks! They don't have alerts for our city, but they mentioned ebird, and that showed that some of these birds tend to be around this time of year.  I hope you have better luck (and less humidity) with your next outing!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwATHICG for poinciana. Needed a hint for punishable-ever after one of those days of 3fers coming out of my ears.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with a 1L nudge to find cinnamon and piano (duh!), but needed SBB help to find canopic and poinciana, which I would never have found on my own. Today I am past genius with the pangram.

LB: I had punishable-ever. No 2fer yet today, though.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Past genius with the pangram but still 8 or 9 words to go. We also needed help with poinciana, canopic and had forgotten about cioppino.

For LB I got pulverable-enshrine after trying and trying with seemingly good contenders.  It worked, but I did not know the first one was a word. 

Back to normal birds today (plus a song sparrow), but I think the birdcast said that tonight is high migration for our area, so maybe we will see more tomorrow morning?

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and genius before leaving for a bird walk this morning. Missed anionic, canopic, and poinciana (whatever they are).

bivalves/shrapnel with a stranded u--I was quite happy with my pair, so decided that it was a legit twofer.

I had registered for this bird walk but wasn't sure if it was going to materialize because of the weather forecast which as of last night was for thunderstorms starting at 8 this morning and continuing until the rest of the day. The walk leader emailed us at night to let us know that the forecast kept changing and that if it was raining at 8, then we wouldn't be birding. Lo and behold, the forecast this morning was for thunderstorms to start after 1 PM, but soon after 10, after a couple of hours of birding, there was a brief thunderstorm. As we were standing under some trees, trying to ride it out, we saw a red-tailed hawk land on a tree across from us, trying to settle into a good sitting position. Soon after, a second hawk landed alongside, and then both were wriggling around, trying to get comfortable. The juvenile little blue heron was still there as was the green heron. We continued the walk but decided to call it a day because of the forecast which showed the thunderstorm bearing down on us. I decided to swing by one of the other ponds before driving out of that area and was rewarded by a great blue heron just then landing on one of the trees overlooking the pond. I'll post the list on the bird thread.

Happy birding!

ab_grp

I'm so glad you had a better birding outing, Langue_doc! Sounds like you saw some really majestic birds.

I have a couple good LB contenders, but nothing yet.  And I'm at QB-4 but struggling.

Langue_doc

ab_grp, they're all familiar words or those you can make up. Gave up on LB--a j and a z do not make for an easy twofer.

Quordle was a success, much to my surprise.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with pangram so far.  Yesterday husband donated two of my final three words to me (nonbinding and some 5 I can't place in the list), but we had to go to bee buddy for adobo.  Ugh! We were just worn out and had to get to cooking.

I had half of the schmofficial solution (shazam) but don't think I would have come up with frijoles.  I guess I thought that was Spanish.

Congrats on another successful quordle, Langue_doc!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with help to find adobo and bandanna with double n. Today I am at genius with the pangram and have a few words to go.

LB: Well, I never would have guessed frijoles, although I did find shazam. I'm often a bit surprised at which words borrowed from other languages are accepted or rejected.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Only a couple more words left today. Last words were binning and bongo--found the latter watching an ad for Old Navy.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH to remember bandanna. LB nudge from a friend for frijoles-shazam. Whaaaa????

Quick 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

About 10 points left in today's bee. Missed logroll which I've seen before.

benefic/cauldron, conflab/buried, two made-up words that seem to be legit.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwH yesterday to find wilco. I had to look up what it meant—-it's now on my Bee list. Today I have six words to go; the pangram was my first word.

LB: I had fibula-acorned. I was surprised that the second word was accepted. Congratulations on your two other solutions, Langue_doc!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday I needed husband's help for logroll, wilco, and we needed bee buddy for crog, which I definitely do not remember.

No luck on LB again.  Congrats on your 2fers, cathwen and Langue_doc (x2)!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for logroll. Earlier took a wild guess at crog. Anyone want to use it in a sentence? LB cornfield-daub and a quick 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!