News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday was another failure.  I could not get the pangram! I even guessed topbelly.  Ugh!!!!! What in the world.  Anyway, we failed to get team QB and used bee buddy again.  It told us good job on finding however many Ls but there were more left! So we figured out that it was lollop, an old friend.  I figure it's got some good scaffolded help and just makes it easier than using Shunn's site where we have to count how many we have of each, etc.  It's nice that it personalizes based on our progress.  Yesterday it told us something like good job on finding X.  Only Y% of users found that one! There is an even less common word that starts with N (that was nacelle) that only Z% found.  Kind of more interesting than just looking at a grid.

For LB I got a schmofficial variant: quipster-rethank.  I wondered if that's the one cathwen got because she mentioned not being sure about the second word.  I will stay tuned.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB yesterday, but with help to find the last word, which was 4 letters and driving me crazy!  It was épée!  It's a word I often overlook.  Today I am at QB-1 and just can't find that last word, so congratulations on your QB, Langue_doc!

LB yesterday was inquests-sparkish. Sparkish was the word I thought was a little odd, but I agree, ab_grp, that quipster is odd, too!  I found a 2fer today without too much trouble. 

I have also tried the Bee Buddy and like the hints.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word yesterday was nanobot which I knew I had entered much earlier.

lamp/production

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning! 

A bit beyond genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday I tripped over nanobot and attaboy, which I never think of as a real word.

LB:  I also had lamp-production.  I have a 2fer today also.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Again no pangram and not to genius yet.  Husband has the pangram.  I had to sleep in a little since I was up for a while during the night.  Yuck.  Bad timing, since husband has to go in earlyish today.  But we did get a few minutes outside, at least.  Yesterday we used bee buddy to find oaty, tony.  I think it has a little work to go on some of the hints it gives (e.g., it said O was the most common first letter among the words were missing, which isn't quite true), but we are enjoying its help.  I was missing a couple others, including nanobot.

No luck on LB! Congrats, Langue_doc and cathwen (and on another today!).  Cathwen, I was thinking rethank was more a of a weird word than quipster, but they are both a bit unusual.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QbwH for natant which I missed for the zillionth time. I actually got all the weird ones like attaboy, nanobot... LB was proclamation-noud which I thought I made up. Turned out it's an obscure word for "knot."

Happy solving!

onthefringe

I have been pretty spotty on LB lately, but yesterday's 2fer cracked me up: compliant-turd

ciao_yall

Quote from: onthefringe on May 03, 2023, 10:15:41 AM
I have been pretty spotty on LB lately, but yesterday's 2fer cracked me up: compliant-turd

LOL! any 3fers? They make great little haikus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

364 points. When I tried to continue with the puzzle on the computer, SB informed me that I had 12 words, so I had to refresh the page on the Kindle and then back to the computer where it now has the correct word count. This is the second day in a row that I've had this discrepancy between the Kindle and the computer.

Needed help with geotag and vlog to get to QB. The bee buddy hint for the former was rather obscure as was the one for nanobot the previous day, which I found by retyping the word that I had entered much earlier.

I don't think I have the time or energy to chase down more words, so that's probably it for today.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with help to find legato, goatee, and vlog.  Today I have all five pangrams and am close to Alpha, but running out of steam.

LB:  I had the "official" unlawful-limerick. I found a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QBw2LL - last word gotta. LB unlawful-limerick - team effort with my daily puzzle partner.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

At first I had no pangrams, then suddenly I had all of them and was past genius.  Before I even got up! But now I am also in the weeds.  We'll see.  I think I have 8 words to go.  Bee buddy helped us get our final words yesterday, some the same as others here: geotag, vlog, tollgate, lovage, I think.  I am enjoying working with the buddy, so I don't mind failing to get team QB anymore (at least right now).

No luck on LB, so congrats, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Langue_doc, I hope your tech issues are over! That's annoying and frustrating.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word yesterday was tenth, which I thought I had already entered.

Tech issues continue; I need the Kindle at my desk so that I can report the problem. Just a few minutes ago, the bee on the computer showed that I had 7 words, so I had to retrieve the kindle and refresh the page. Now the computer shows the correct word and points counts.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwG, last word thine.

LB - did anyone else get two puzzles? I solved the first one quickly with breaking-glitch. Later I happened to open it up again and, lo and behold, new puzzle! Since time was running short I got a hint for refreshments-savory. I had found savory pretty quickly but the coffee had long worn off.

Quick trip to GwP and 2fer this morning.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with hint for my last word, nightie.  Today I have two words to go. 

LB:  I had refreshments-savory.  Ciao_yall, I did not see the first puzzle that you saw yesterday!  I did get a rather fast 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!