News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

We also missed monodrama yesterday until husband just tried stuff and guessed it.  I also agree that they are very inconsistent about accepting non- words.  I guess good to try them when you have run out of options just in case, but it is frustrating.

Congrats on your 2fer yesterday, Langue_doc! Etagere sounds very elegant.  I was close to the solution, at least.  I had tragic and kept trying things with clock, but no cigar.  Congrats on your 2fer for today, cathwen!

I'm right at Alpha today (83) but am pretty tired and having a hard time getting into it.  I guess only one pangram given the remaining points available.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

SB - My last word was tandoor then I moved on since I had achieved genius. Missed the usual weird ones - doodad, monodrama - and a few easy ones like nomad, tornado. Got mondo though.

LB - yesterday I got cowgirl-latkes.

Happy solving! Coffee is poured!

ETA - Genius, pangram. Am I a bad person for wanting to have a J in there?

LB is going to be tricky. Must channel my inner cathwen.

ab_grp

Agh! I also had cowgirl but couldn't find a mate.  Good one!

I only got one more four-letter word, so 184.  Husband has the same number of words but different points, so I guess we have at least something each other needs.  LOL about the J!

A couple LB contenders so far, but no luck yet.  Somehow I did manage to complete all of today's sudokus, though.  That is a first in a while.

cathwen

Latkes!  Of course!  I had cowgirl, but did not think to make latkes out of the remaining letters.  Well done, ciao_yall!  And good luck today. 

Ab_grp, congratulations on Alpha!  I'm stuck at 76 points, so at least that's Beta; and I have the pangram.  And yes, ciao_yall, a J would be nice.  But alas...

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen, and good luck! I did get to QB, though I checked to see how many words and points were left, which helped, and husband had the word I needed and reminded me that the bee does some annoying stuff at times.  That helped me figure out some things to try.  He had two words left but got to QB with a little help as well.

Still more LB contenders, still no luck yet.

cathwen

I made QB!  Then last word was an alternate spelling of a word I already had. 

ab_grp

Quote from: cathwen on March 10, 2021, 02:34:02 PM
I made QB!  Then last word was an alternate spelling of a word I already had.

Congrats!! Sounds like we ended with the same word.  Darned bee! Hooray!

ETA: Okay, finally got a 2fer!

Langue_doc

QB here too. No luck with LB.

Congrats on QBs and two-fers.

ciao_yall

Found a 2fer in LB, ping if you want a hint.

Just barely into genius on SB. Let's see how I do. Alternate spelling, eh?

Langue_doc

One of the longer words has an alternative spelling as well, as I learned from a previous SB puzzle.

Thanks for the hint offer, but I'm going to pass as  I'm done with puzzles for today. Let me know if you'd like a hint for the bee.

ciao_yall

Went to the comments board and hit QB. Not too bad, actually. One alternative spelling (2 n's, who knew?) Some of the words I thought I had gotten already, and realized I was remembering them from having done a similar puzzle a few days back.

Very bummed it didn't take badonkadonk. One would think...

Parasaurolophus

Finally got to genius. Dunno why I struggled today. Found the pangram easily enough.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Got to genius, but still no pangram.

Happy solving, all.

cathwen

Good morning!  I also got to genius; the pangram was the first word I saw.  But now I'm stuck.  I think I need to do something else and come back to it.  Parasaurolophus, some days those SBs really are a struggle.  I'm usually just happy to make genius, and anything else is icing on the cake.

For yesterday's LB, I got rejecting-godly.  But I like the "official" solution better—inject-troglodyte.  I found a 2-fer for today's LB, too, but nothing as interesting as troglodyte.

ciao_yall

Morning! Amazing and 3fer so far. They wouldn't take a word I think is pretty common so maybe I'm already a genius in my own mind?

Yes, I also got rejecting-godly. I remembered thinking about the word troglodyte but didn't actually make it into a word for some reason. Maybe my brain never made the connection to my fingers, maybe I was still too broken up over not getting "trilogy" to work, maybe I found the 2fer and was over it?

ETA: Genius, 2fer bfss. So getting warm.