News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 12, 2021, 06:58:43 AM
Made it to genius easily this morning, pangram and all. Further heights await!

Woohoo! Isn't that just the best feeling? Now that you are hooked on the gateway drug... Have you tried letter boxed yet?

ETA: 2fer! And non-offensive AFAIK.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I didn't quite make it to QB yesterday.  Like cathwen, I missed expellee.  I thought I had tried it, but I guess I typed it wrong (maybe I also didn't double the l)? Anyway, husband found it, so I guess sort of a team QB.  Oh well! I did manage to find teletext (my final word).  I am going to do my best not to miss those tele words.  It didn't take vittle or lexile or a couple others, though.  Seems like everyone had a good amount of success yesterday! And congrats, Langue_doc.  Sounds like you got to QB!

Today I am at Alpha (94), so we shall see.  I am stuck for now. 

And I actually got the schmofficial LB 2fer last night, KITSCH-HERALDRY.  Finally.  A bunch of solutions for that one, apparently!

Congrats on the 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 12, 2021, 07:47:56 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 12, 2021, 06:58:43 AM
Made it to genius easily this morning, pangram and all. Further heights await!

Woohoo! Isn't that just the best feeling? Now that you are hooked on the gateway drug... Have you tried letter boxed yet?

You're running with the wrong crowd, Parasaurolophus. Run, before you're addicted to the point of no return.

cathwen and ciao_yall, congrats on the two-fers.

Sorry about expellee, ab_grp and ciao_yall. Very often the letters don't register, or sometimes if your finger stays on a key a tad bit too long, a double letter gets entered, which I don't catch unless I'm going over the list later in the day. I got carried away with finding expellee which I didn't think was a word, so tried exilee, which is obviously not an acceptable word.

No further progress on SB. LB looks promising, but haven't had time to play with the words.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 12, 2021, 07:47:56 AM

I check it out most days already, although I'm not very good at it yet. Only occasional 2fers. Today, I've got what must be half of the 2fer, but am struggling with the second half.

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 12, 2021, 10:59:46 AM

You're running with the wrong crowd, Parasaurolophus. Run, before you're addicted to the point of no return.

Unless you're planning an intervention...
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

<looks around>  Nope, no interventions coming your way, Parasaurolophus!  We've got you!  : )

Good luck finding the second part of the 2fer! 

On SB, I find myself in the same situation as yesterday:  One word left, six points.  What can it possibly be?

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I thought I had tried every -ee I could think of yesterday when I got stumped, sigh (exilee included).  You're right, too, that sometimes we might think we typed something, but either it just didn't register or who knows.  I will blame the technology!

I finally got to QB today, but husband had gotten there first and gave me a hint because I was stuck with yet another long final word to figure out.  Good enough for me for today.  Cathwen, it sounds as though you are looking for a different word than I had apparently overlooked.  It being a 6-letter word definitely narrows it down, and I can guess it's between two.  I will guess which one (to myself) and see tomorrow if my guess was correct! But if there are any hints that you would like, please let me/us know.  Good luck!

Parasaurolophus, they hooked me into LB.  I was on the straight and narrow, and now look at me.  I have also fallen into other games because of them.  Achtung!

Alas, I am also not that great at 2fers, but I have a good contender today, too.  I am convinced it will lead me to a solution because only a few letters are left.  This may be a bad assumption to make, of course.

Langue_doc

cathwen, there is a six letter rhyming pair.

ab_grp, congrats on QB.

Got the two-fer and QB. I scrolled through the comments that ciao_yall often mentions, and saw a hint for a two-fer, which is close to my solution.

cathwen

Ha!  Got it.  Thanks for the hint, Langue_doc!

ciao_yall

QB! Have to admit I went to the Comments Board for a little "aided recall" but I didn't need definitions.

ab_grp

Congrats to all three of you on the QBs! And congrats, Langue_doc, for picking up the 2fer!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, pangram, and 42 words. It was a long and difficult slog.

LB penumbrae/equity.

Happy solving, all.

ciao_yall

I got the official solution - penumbra-antiquity. But Langue_doc's penumbrae-equity is definitely a cleaner solution in that it uses fewer letters. Really wanted to do something with equanimity which used up most of the letters but didn't leave me much to play with.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got the schmofficial solution after checking the Wordplay comments.  The hint was very helpful (something like shadowy figure from yesteryear).  I, too, wanted to do something with equanimity!! I was determined to make it work but just could not come up with anything.

Today I got to Alpha (196) after a lot of stopping and starting.  I think there are only about 10 more points, so only one pangram.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Made it to QB, not too, too tough.  Hope everyone is having luck with it!

Time to get back to the hard sudoku and try to get some more contenders for LB!

Langue_doc

Congrats on QB, ab_grp.

I also struggled with equanimity. I felt that I just had to come up with a way to use it so that the letters didn't get wasted. I was looking for a -e final first word, hence penumbrae

SB 52/195. No unusual words so far, so it's good to know that the remaining words are "normal", thanks to ab_grp.