News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Congrats on the Alpha! I have 238 points and have no energy to track down the remaining words and points. Tomorrow's crosswords are probably out, so I've mentally checked out of SB.

Found an interesting two-fer.

cathwen

I'm at 245 in SB and completely out of steam.  I'm fine with this, as it's farther than I usually get.  What a puzzle!

I found a second LB 2fer that I like a little better than my first one.  Looking forward to comparing notes tomorrow!

ab_grp

Congrats on the bee progress, and the interesting Langue_doc 2fer and a second cathwen 2fer! Maybe I'll look at my contenders to see if any of them could have made a mate after all besides the one I have.  Very interested to hear what everyone came up with! As for the bee, it is putting me to sleep.  I will probably keep taking a crack at it now and again, but I think it has defeated me.

Langue_doc

All I need is just one word. It must be an unfamiliar word, so have given up.

Crossword and mini are done. The song that's been running through my head because of a word in a recent Bee turned up in the mini--go figure.

Looking forward to hearIng about the multiple solutions to LB tomorrow.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 28, 2021, 05:09:06 PM

Crossword and mini are done. The song that's been running through my head because of a word in a recent Bee turned up in the mini--go figure.

LOL saw that and thought of you instantly!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 28, 2021, 08:00:07 PM
Quote from: Langue_doc on March 28, 2021, 05:09:06 PM

LOL saw that and thought of you instantly!

I thought of you too as you were the one whose ogive reminded me of the song.

Good morning, all.

maillot!? That's a French word if I'm not mistaken.

Got to amazing with one pangram. It isn't a "fun" puzzle today.

I tried very hard to find a mate for unicorn. I suspect mythical creatures don't associate with the likes of us. My first pair was curlicues/showdown, and the second, churlish/hoedown. My preference is for the first pair.

Happy solving, all.

ETA: Genius!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Langue_doc, I got the same set of pairs! First curclicues-showdown, and I was excited to be able to use curlicues since it was one of my contenders a couple days ago.  Then just playing around with it later at night, I got churlish-hoedown.  And I really wanted to use unicorn(s), too! Or eschewed.   I guess I was on your wavelength yesterday!

I was aware of maillot swimsuits because I think they were a prominent topic at some point in one of my teen girl magazines.  I can't remember exactly what the context was, but I guess though French they have wormed their way in.

Oh yeah, we finally gave up and compared the bee and got a team QB.  I missed mortar and armorial (which I am positive I tried... I think I tried every possible combo of roots and embellishments).  Oh well! Didn't really start today's yet, but it has been pretty quick so far.  Agreed that it's not too fun.  Too much beekeeping.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - a few I probably should have gotten, and a few new words. I did get maillot because it's a fancy word for a one-piece swimsuit. Tomtit? Meanwhile it didn't take amaro.

LB - curlicues-snowshoed. ab_grp got me thinking about crocodile, and later found cornichon which took.

Spring break and my birthday today, but also a big stack of grading awaits.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning! 

In a reversal of my usual pattern, I sailed to Alpha in SB today, but have not yet found a solution for LB! 

Yesterday, I missed imam, maillot, moratoria, and tomtit.  Maillot!  I know this word both because of the teen magazines that ab_grp mentioned, and also because I speak French.  I didn't see it, frankly, but in previous puzzles I have seen French, Italian, and Spanish words that have been borrowed into English, but SB has rejected.  You just never know which borrowings will be accepted, and which not!

My first solution for yesterday's LB was lurches-snowslide.  I thought that snowslide seemed iffy, so played with it again later and found the "official" churlish-hoedown

Congratulations on all successes yesterday!

Happy birthday, ciao_yall!

Parasaurolophus

Got to genius in SB, but haven't found the pangram yet.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 29, 2021, 08:17:05 AM

Happy Birthday!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykHAwUhjjGE

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 29, 2021, 09:03:18 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on March 29, 2021, 08:17:05 AM

Happy Birthday!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykHAwUhjjGE

Thank you!

Genius with pangram, 3fer and 2fer b4ss.

ab_grp

Happy birthday, ciao_yall! Hope the grading doesn't take away from it too much.  Sounds like you are rolling on the puzzles! I got catarrhed out of QB on mine, but I hope you have an awesome solving day and enjoy your birthday and spring break.

Good luck, Parasaurolophus! The pangram will likely occur to you soon enough if you have enough words for genius without it.

Congrats on Alpha, cathwen! Isn't it funny how the puzzles can treat you? I'm sure you will get a 2fer, though. 

I also got to Alpha (146), but I apparently have two words left and no idea.  A couple LB contenders, but no luck so far.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on March 29, 2021, 09:27:05 AM
Happy birthday, ciao_yall! Hope the grading doesn't take away from it too much.  Sounds like you are rolling on the puzzles! I got catarrhed out of QB on mine, but I hope you have an awesome solving day and enjoy your birthday and spring break.

Good luck, Parasaurolophus! The pangram will likely occur to you soon enough if you have enough words for genius without it.

Congrats on Alpha, cathwen! Isn't it funny how the puzzles can treat you? I'm sure you will get a 2fer, though. 

I also got to Alpha (146), but I apparently have two words left and no idea.  A couple LB contenders, but no luck so far.

Oh, I'm at 31 words / 152 points and no QB gizmo yet. So maybe I just have one word left? Huh. Maybe I will achieve the elusive QBABM?

cathwen

Amazingly, I got to QB! 

LB is still defeating me. I have some wonderful words, but can't do anything with the remaining letters.  I'll keep tinkering.

Congratulations on Alpha, with two words until QB, ab_grp!  And congratulations on genius, Parasaurolophus!  And ciao_yall, you have one word to go--you'll get there!