Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 26, 2021, 09:08:08 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on April 26, 2021, 08:45:36 AM
SB - Oh well, I hit genius anyway. I never did find lollygag before finding genius so probably would have found the pangram. One of those weird words.

Same here. I never find lollygag.

Today's Bee seems tough, unless it's just me.

Sometimes I get them quickly, sometimes I don't. I have the pangram and stuck at amazing. It didn't take mirin which always annoys me, because I use that in real life. More often than callaloo or colcannon!

ciao_yall

Genius and 3fer.

Found a great word, b4ss, which I so wanted to use. Oh well.

ETA: 2fer! Another cathwen inspired "might as well try it..."

Parasaurolophus

Stuck on the bee, but found myself a 2fer!
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Congratulations, ab_grp, Parasaurolophus, and ciao_yall, on your 2fers!  I am intrigued by the "might as well try it" solution. 

I love thinkful!  I would have hesitated on that one, too, but I will not argue with LB, especially when it's a word that applies so very well to our endeavors! 

SB:  I'm now at Alpha (146) with two words to go, one short and one long.  Argh!  What can they be?  I am mystified.

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fers, ciao_yall and Parasaurolophus! It sounds as though we might have several solutions again.  Lollygag/lollygagged never come quickly to me, if they ever do come.  And there are so many they don't accept like mirin, nori. tamari.  I guess some foods or condiments are more of interest than others. 

I am down to one word left, but husband also doesn't have it.  If we do make it across the QB line, it will be a team effort.  I think we're getting too stuck on prefixes, but that might be the key.  Argh.  Or arghh or whichever spelling the bee accepts.

On preview: maybe one of the words you are missing is the one that we are missing, cathwen! A five-letter word is the last one I got, a seven before that, and we are missing the eight.  Good luck!

Langue_doc

QB and twofer.

The long word is one I've seen in a recent bee. It's a compound.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB and 2fer, Langue_doc! We eventually got the final word, but it's an impure win.  I can't believe we missed that one. 

Langue_doc

Pure or not, it's still a win.

Good morning! moonroof was my last word.

Pangram and amazing today. It's a tedious one, so I'll have to put it away for now.

Prankster/rejoice.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Thanks! We also got moonroof last.  I have a sunroof in my car. :-(

I ended up with 2.5 LB solutions.  First was jockstrap-poisoner.  After the first word was entered, the remaining letters were suggestive of a related word which thankfully didn't work out due to b4ss issues.  But I found poisoner so was happy.  Later in the day I figured others must have a different solution since they talked about having normal words, so I kept at it and found the schmofficial solution.  Then figured I'd try jockstrap-prisoner, which also worked.

Didn't really get started on puzzles yet, waiting for coffee.  I do have a pangram and a bunch of words but am not to genius yet.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - probably could have gotten QB - missed words I know. Noncom was my last word. I did get moonroof.

LB - jockstrap-pianet. I was thinking some kind of small piano, maybe, but it is another word for magpie. ETA: @ab_grp I notice they seem to always block certain body parts b4ss.

Happy solving - literally all day Zoom meetings so either lots of puzzle time or very little.

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on finding moonroof and getting to QB, ab_grp and Langue_doc!  That was my last word, and I did not find it.  Alas!

For LB, I also had prankster-rejoice.  Ab_grp, I like both your solutions!  And ciao_yall, we've all learned a new word—pianet.   

Today's SB is a slog.  I am at amazing with the pangram and will probably call it a day if I ever get to genius. 

LB: I have a 2-fer, but one word is one of those weird words that I tried and happened to be accepted.  If I have time, I may try for a "cleaner" (=more normal) one later. 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

I found jockstrap, but couldn't find a mate. Gah!

Parasaurolophus

I had jockstrap-prisoner. Tried stricken, but couldn't find a second word for it.

Now that I see the Bee answers, I don't know what happened to my brain yesterday.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 27, 2021, 08:00:41 AM
I had jockstrap-prisoner. Tried stricken, but couldn't find a second word for it.

Now that I see the Bee answers, I don't know what happened to my brain yesterday.

Ditto. Sometimes I just drop off at genius because there are so many weird words I figure it's not worth chasing them down. At times I go to the wordplay blog where the commenters leave a lot of hints.  Just click on "reader picks" and they pop right to the top.

LB - SET and CUK on the same side?

ab_grp

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found jockstrap! It seemed to use up all of the difficult letters, but I figured it might not be part of the schmofficial solution.  It did take effort to find a mate for it, though.  Ciao_yall, I think you're right that they intentionally block certain words.  I've found some interesting ones along the way b4ss.   I have not head of a pianet, but it makes sense.  I thought it said planet at first and was wondering why cathwen thought that was a new word.  Need more coffee.

Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen! Sounds like it might be a tough one.

The bee today is definitely tough, in my opinion.  I got to genius + (202), but still a ways from Alpha, let alone QB.  Not sure why it is so challenging? I have found a bunch of bee words, but I guess there is something else in there.  I don't see any particular patterns to try to exploit.  Maybe I need to wake up a little more.