News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

(1) Genius with 1 pangram; (2) lots of 3fers but no 2fer yet, and (3) cathwen has found a 2fer.

Three checks! I am allowed to go to shunn.

Parasaurolophus

I've got a 9-letter LB contender but can't make it work.

SB is close, but I'm not there yet, and have none of the pangrams.

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Eureka! Found a two-fer while taking a break from chores.

Para, I found a ten-letter word, but couldn't get a mate.

Ciao_yall, criterion (3) above doesn't count as cathwen getting a two-fer is a given. You're allowed to go to shunn all the same.

Ab_grp, waving my magic wand for your final word and a two-fer.

I'm still missing the second pangram; that's all I need for QB.

ab_grp

Woohoo! Congrats on the 2fer, Langue_doc! And thanks for the good wishes.  We finally ended up comparing, as I realized we had team QB from the number of words and points husband had left.  Since we had the same number of words starting with the letter of the pangram he was missing, I figured out the start of my word and finally found it.  Argh.  Not a tough word! I just didn't see it.  He is still struggling with the pangram and two others but at least knows what they start with now.  Good luck with the second pangram!! Sending pangram juju!  At least you know how long it is if it's the only word left!

Also sending pangram juju to you, Parasaurolophus, and I hope you get a 2fer as well!

Ciao_yall, I hope Shunn helps and that you get a 2fer, too! I agree that cathwen getting a 2fer as a criterion pretty much leads to any outcome we wish. 

Got my sudokus done ahead of the puzzle switch and got a round of Duo in, so I will work on LB some more.  I have an eyeache from allergies or sinus stuff, so I guess I could do some chores for a bit and not look at the computer.

cathwen

Congratulations on the LB solution, Langue_doc!  I'll be curious to see what we all got, as well as the great words that wouldn't work.  Good luck, Parasaurolophus, it sounds as though you are close!

I am at QB-1.  I know (thanks to Shunn) the first two letters and the length of the missing word.  But I am not finding it!  I'll probably want to bonk myself over the head with my dictionary when I see what it is. 

Continued wishes for good luck solving!

ab_grp

Good luck, cathwen! Sending you final word juju!

I have a couple more LB contenders, but no mate yet.  But I did put some files in a drawer, so that's something.

ciao_yall

QB - as soon as I went to the Wordplay blog I saw a few easy ones I had overlooked, plus the definition of the second pangram.

LB - no 2fer yet either, but lots of contenders. Anyone up for trading words?

ciao_yall

Quote from: cathwen on June 19, 2021, 01:12:28 PM
Congratulations on the LB solution, Langue_doc!  I'll be curious to see what we all got, as well as the great words that wouldn't work.  Good luck, Parasaurolophus, it sounds as though you are close!

I am at QB-1.  I know (thanks to Shunn) the first two letters and the length of the missing word.  But I am not finding it!  I'll probably want to bonk myself over the head with my dictionary when I see what it is. 

Continued wishes for good luck solving!

Yeah, this is when I hit the Wordplay blog and look for the people posting definitions.

ETA: Hit the solver site. Basically one solution. I had the first word, never would have gotten the second one on my own. But I learned a new word!

Parasaurolophus

Genius but only one pangram, and no LB to show for it (well done, cathwen!).
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Morning!

Missed the second pangram yesterday, but got to QB today. There's only one slightly unfamiliar word, but I've seen it before in more than one puzzle. Two pangrams.

LB--the NYT solution. I tried to find a mate for tourniquet.

Two-fer today.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning! 

I missed mahimahi yesterday, so I remained at QB-1.  I've always seen that word hyphenated, and I would love to claim that I rejected the word because of that, but frankly, it just never occurred to me, hyphenated or not.

Today I'm at QB-1 again.  So, one slightly unfamiliar word?  All my words so far are familiar ones, so the oddball must be the missing word! 

Congratulations, Langue_doc, on QB and on your LB solution!

My LB for yesterday was also the same as the "official" solution, and I have a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

cathwen, the fish-word has appeared in previous bees. Another frequent one is tilapia, which should also give you tali. I missed the latter the first time it was in a bee, but then have remembered to look for it. I used to think it was an ethnic dish, but it turns out to be the plural of talus, a human bone.

As for the last word, try cons/vowel combos.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to QBABM! Good way to start the day.  Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc! Good luck on the last word, cathwen! No tough words that I can recall.  Some beekeeping to do, though.  There was a word that I thought might be in there given others that are accepted, but no.  I think mahimahi was one of my final words, but I remembered it thanks to nearly missing it a while back and getting a hint from Langue_doc about it, I think.  Husband struggled with it and tali, which I missed at one point but now try to remember as well.  Not always successful, though!

I got nothin' on LB yesterday despite some good contenders! I was trying to make entropy work or equipment.  But it's a new day with new opportunities.  Congrats on your 2fers from yesterday and your 2fers today!

Today is busy with groceries, pizza delivery, pizza Father's Day celebration with youngest.  Gotta get the hard sudoku out of the way and get some Duo in.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Yippee!  QB! 

Congratulations on QBABY, ab_grp!

ciao_yall

Y'all are crushing it this morning!