News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Alas, not today. Fell one letter short of a 2fer, too. Ah well.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB - last 3 words were ghetto, hooey, hotly. Genius with 2 pangrams so far today.

LB - hulking-gravity which was official - anyone get anything else?  Parasaurolophus you are where I'm at this morning - Quick almost 2fer with a "plug" to make it a 3fer.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

thole was my penultimate word; haven't looked up the meaning yet. ghee was the final word. The other words were familiar ones but difficult to guess mainly because they did not follow the usual spelling patterns--I'm thinking of ghetto, ghee, and thee which do not rhyme with other words. The compounds were also difficult. I stumbled on hellhole while on the subway yesterday morning wondering what surprises would be in store on that trip (none, fortunately).

Two pangrams and well above genius today.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

I'm on a roll today—QBABM and a 2fer!  QBABM is an extremely rare occurrence for me.

Yesterday, I would never have made QB without Shunn.  And even then, my last two words—thole and holt—were found simply by moving letters around.  Ghee was one of the later words I found, but at least I knew what that was.

Yesterday's LB was the same as ciao_yall's and the "official" answer:  hulking-gravity.

In a little while I will go retrieve my husband from the eye surgery center, where he's having cataract surgery.  I really hate this business of not being able to wait in the waiting room, but I understand why it has to be this way.  When I had my surgeries, he came into the recovery room and sat with me, and that was very soothing.  But I can't do the same for him.  The surgery center is 20 minutes away, so it's not a bad drive, at least.

Anyway, happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Husband got to QBABH, and I got some help with first letters of my final two words since we don't have much time to work on it today, so an impure QB for me.  Congrats on your QBABY, cathwen!! Thole was the one I just stumbled upon yesterday, something about a pin to hold an oar? My last one was ghetto.  I'm glad that finding hellhole while on the subway wasn't some kind of foreshadowing, Langue_doc!

For LB yesterday, I also had the schmofficial solution.  I figured it probably was since it came so quickly and cleanly.  Congrats on already getting one today, cathwen! You are definitely kicking puzzle butt today.

Cathwen, I hope your husband's eye surgery is going or has gone well.  It is a shame not to be able to have someone with you at these appointments.  I wonder what they think the picker-upper folks should do while waiting? I'm glad it's only a 20-minute drive, in that case.

Still have medium and hard sudokus to do and then a bunch of article and proposal reviews.  Some said that today's crossword was hard for  a Monday, but I didn't think it was too bad.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Somewhere in beta again.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB - 2, both start with E. If I were home with the old-school dictionary I would have found them. But I shall end with QB - 2 and my streak officially broken.

LB - even went to the solver site and some of my contenders had such weird matches that... hey. I am impressed with y'all if you found 2fers because even the solver site went all cuckoo on me.

Look forward to seeing what everyone did!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Last word yesterday was unneeded.

Genius so far.

cathwen, hope husband has recovered from surgery. Visitors are still not allowed in post-op rooms here due to Covid protocols. Medical offices are also following these protocols unless the patient has mobility or other issues. I'm getting the second eye done on Monday.

Happy solving, all!

Langue_doc

QB. Unfamiliar words have appeared in previous bees.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - last two words were endue, endued. I thought I tried endue when playing with letters but oh well. Pangram so far this morning but it's a bit slow. Langue_doc thanks for the tip.

LB - Lots of 3fers and good contenders. Not sure why the solver site didn't pick up what seems like a pretty clear solution. 3fers which were close included elk-cupboard-dye, pucker-rob-baldy, backer-rep-proudly, and 2fer b4ss backdrop-pulley. 3fer this morning so far.

Not sure how much puzzle progress will be made - will try to enjoy our road trip without too much time with face in phone.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I'm close to Alpha, but still 6 words left.  Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc, and thanks for the info! Endue, endued were two of my final ones yesterday.  I think keened was the other.  Probably shouldn't have given up since that's just beekeeping, but work days are busy.

LB was so hard! I had so many really good contenders, most of them compounds.  I tried plucky at one point and all sorts of -board, but no luck.  Well, today's another day.

Enjoy your trip, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I had the "official" solution for yesterday's LB:  pluck-keyboard.  I agree that it was a hard one, but today's is as well!  I don't have a 2fer yet. 

SB stands at QB-3.  Bee words, eh, Langue_doc?  I'll look at the list I've been compiling for inspiration.  And thanks for the good wishes for my husband.  He had his follow-up exam today and is doing fine.  I'll be thinking of you next Monday!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

I got to QBABM after making some progress but still having one word to go.  Luckily, the final long word popped into my head! Good luck, cathwen! And I'm so glad to hear that your husband's follow-up appointment went well!

ab_grp

Parasaurolophus

I think I have a Bee block today. I've found... a dozen.
I know it's a genus.