News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on July 28, 2021, 08:55:45 AM

I got whomever-respirates finally yesterday.  Never saw somewhat.  Congrats on those solutions! I had some contenders that used up almost all the letters, but I guess not the right ones.  Congrats on your 2fer already, cathwen!

GAH one of my 3fers was whomever-respite-eta SO BLOODY CLOSE!!!!!!!!

ab_grp

Cathwen I bet it is the same word from your description! I also ended up guessing it because I thought it sounded familiar but definitely needed the first two letters to get anywhere near it.

Ciao_yall, ack! You were so close!! It took me until pretty late at night to stumble on whomever after many other promising contenders.

Langue_doc

QB and two-fer!

ab_grp and cathwen, are you thinking about the foreign word? I tried all kinds of combinations including iona and antonio and finally the last word which I didn't think was an acceptable English word.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB and 2fer, Langue_doc! Wow! I still have no 2fer, but I think we are talking about the same word.  Very strange sometimes what is acceptable or not.

Langue_doc

I'll PM you a hint after dinner, ab_grp.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on July 28, 2021, 03:34:56 PM
I'll PM you a hint after dinner, ab_grp.

Thanks! My brain is not working properly today anyway, so I could use any help that comes my way.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on July 28, 2021, 01:11:18 PM
Cathwen I bet it is the same word from your description! I also ended up guessing it because I thought it sounded familiar but definitely needed the first two letters to get anywhere near it.

Ciao_yall, ack! You were so close!! It took me until pretty late at night to stumble on whomever after many other promising contenders.

I had whomever early in the day and just couldn't find a mate. Drove me batty because it used up all the hard letters.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and in the 200+ range.

indexes/stromboli which I then revised to stromboli/index

cathwen, glad to hear that you went birding when living in the city. I've gone on birding trips in Battery Park, and also in Governors Island during the last three or so years. Other parks are Randalls Island, Van Cortland, Inwood, and Prospect Park. I wouldn't go birding by myself in the latter as there are several areas that are isolated as well as others that are used for unofficial housing. Recently three women were attacked in Inwood Park which I've always considered to be quite safe. There are also the botanic gardens in Queens and Brooklyn in addition to the main one in the Bronx. The local Audubon has a "Birding by Subway" pamphlet/map that lists other birding areas within the city.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

I'm currently at QB-2, and trying very hard not to consult Shunn.  I don't know how much longer my resolve will hold. 

Yesterday, I would never have solved it without Shunn!  Dhoti, for heaven's sake!  I saw DH- in Shunn and then added -OTI for who knows what reason—perhaps by analogy with roti (which has nothing to do with dhoti?).  The other stumbling block was hoodoo, which was my last word.  But at least it's a word I've heard of!

LB:  Yesterday I had trixie-emboldens.  I was surprised that trixie was accepted, but I now know that it's a British gambling term.  I have a 2fer today, too.

Langue_doc, I did not live in NYC long enough to explore all the great birding sites! I knew about them, though, but never got to them.  I was just glad, when I moved there, to discover that there are more than just pigeons and house sparrows there! 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB yesterday - was not a great solving day but eventually was reminded of dhoti and hoodoo.

LB - with a little help got indexes-stromboli. I did find a 3fer bombs-sext-tendrils but little progress otherwise. Did anyone find other words? I don't think there were many options on this one.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Genius but my goodness, today's LB is quite the tangle of b4ss solutions.

ab_grp Great try on trixie!

onthefringe

LB yesterday was extends-stromboli. Glad to see someone without "stromboli" cathwen, plus I learned that "trixie" is more than just a nickname for Beatrice.

Massively struggling with today's LB as all the useful letter combos seem to be on the same side.

ciao_yall

Quote from: onthefringe on July 29, 2021, 09:00:33 AM
LB yesterday was extends-stromboli. Glad to see someone without "stromboli" cathwen, plus I learned that "trixie" is more than just a nickname for Beatrice.

Massively struggling with today's LB as all the useful letter combos seem to be on the same side.

Ditto. Plenty of 3fers but GAAAAHHHHH....

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I just have one more word to go for QB today, but I do not know what it is (obviously, I guess!).  Maybe it will come later after some other puzzling.  Yes, dhoti was a tough one.  I saw the dh- in Shunn and was glad I had looked there, because I don't think I would have thought of that letter combo, even though I think that word has been in there before.  We were each able to guess it from the first two letters pretty quickly, so I would guess we have seen it in the puzzle.

Langue_doc's help got me to the yummy stromboli solution.  Thanks again!  Trixie was cathwen's, and a good one! Congrats on getting a 2fer today, cathwen! It sounds like a tough one.

I love the idea of a birding by subway guide, btw!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on July 29, 2021, 10:41:52 AM

I love the idea of a birding by subway guide, btw!

Here is a link to the online version, in case anyone is planning to come to the city. The print version has pictures of birds and categories on the other side.
https://www.nycaudubon.org/events-birding/birding-resources/birding-by-subway