News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Found several pangrams this morning and reached amazing.

I'm not too happy with a very time-consuming puzzle in the middle of the week as I like most people I know don't have the luxury of spending extra time on something that has to be completed within 24 hours. I would much prefer that these puzzles be relegated to either the weekends or a special "bonus" category where people get more than 24 hours to solve them.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the recent puzzles which although challenging don't take up more time than they should, so getting to QB is a treat and not a military-style challenge. I'm quite content with yesterday's QB and might just make it to genius today. There's still the crossword and the grading. NYT, we have jobs and other commitments!

ab_grp

I'm now down to 5 long words, two of which are still pangrams, so not at Alpha.  It is a long puzzle, but at least it's not completely repetitive and there are some good words in there.  I would probably prefer to have it on a Monday so that there's an easy crossword that takes up no time.  But today's crossword wasn't bad.  The weekend puzzles take a lot longer, so I would prefer not to have a long bee on those days.  But real life and work do get in the way!

ab_grp

Made it down to just one more word to go and finally got all the pangrams!! I am really trying to hold off on asking Shunn for help or comparing with husband (I think he has a couple words left, one or more of which are pangrams, but he did make it to Alpha). 

Got a couple contenders for LB and close but no cigar so far.

ciao_yall

Genius with a few pangrams - kind of lost count. Definitely don't have all 8. Checked the grid and I'm still short like 8 words.

LB - lots of 3fers but no 2fer yet.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Above genius with the pangram, which was my second word.

Found all the pangrams yesterday.

blunt/timewarp

Two-fer today; crosswords are done, phew!

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

One more word to go to QB.  Husband also has one word left and same number of points.  Yesterday I gave up on alliance of all things, given the other 67 words I found! Ugh.  I think my brain was just done.  Husband was missing two pangrams (canceling, angelica).  The latter was one I just tried and was surprised was a word.

No luck on LB yesterday.  Congrats, Langue_doc! What did everyone else find?

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I caved yesterday with two words to go and went to WP hints to find angelica and cannellini.

I am at QB-2 today--this seems to be a trend. 

LB:  I had brewpub/bailment yesterday.  Bailment was a wild guess, based on remaining letters.  I found a 2fer today as well.

I just finished grading the final exam and have submitted final grades!  Yay! 

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - also didn't get angelica, canceling but did get the other pangrams with a little help from the grid. GwP this morning already.

LB - just 3fers yesterday. Today, 3fers and 2fer b4ss so far.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

We gave up on our final word, and it ended up being the same one.  Got help from Shunn.  Good luck, cathwen!!

And congrats on a 2fer today, cathwen! I was trying something with brew because I couldn't figure out good ways to use up the b and w, but I never got to brewpub and was trying things with -ment but would not have guessed bailment. And congrats on finishing your grading!

Ciao_yall, I hope you get your 2fer! I have had no luck yet but am still stuck on the sudoku.

ciao_yall

Weirdish 2fer. Declared victory. Back to grading.

ab_grp

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 17, 2021, 11:48:27 AM
Weirdish 2fer. Declared victory. Back to grading.

Hurrah! Good luck with grading.

Parasaurolophus

GWP today. Had four pangrams and was almost at genius yesterday when teh intarwebz ran out.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with two pangrams today.  Yesterday I was stuck at QB-2, then saw voodoo, but went to WP to finally get devotee

LB:  Looks like some variety today!  My 2fer is different from the official one.  I have backers/shotput.  When I looked up shotput to remind myself of what, exactly, it was (I knew it was an athletic event of some kind), I saw that all the Google sources have it as two words, so I guess I'm lucky LB accepted it.

I do not yet have a 2fer today! 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Well above genius so far with both pangrams.

Missed vidiot yesterday; I'm glad I didn't have the time to get to the bitter end.

paperback/shout

cathwen, I've seen shotput written as a single word--this was back in the days when I was in college, and shotput was one of the extracurricular athletic events.

Happy solving!