News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Oh, good!  Some LB variety!

I finally got a 2fer today, but had a hard time doing so.

Langue_doc, I got vidiot just by playing around in frustration.  I never dreamed it was an actual word and was surprised when it was accepted.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have two words left to QB, and husband does too, but we are one point off from each other.  Not sure if we have team QB, but we are at Alpha.  Voodoo was the final word we were both missing yesterday.  Of course after getting help from Shunn and finishing up, we saw that word in a Seinfeld episode.  I don't know if it would have primed us to see it or not, though.  Vidiot was just dumb enough to be accepted, so I had to try that!

I had the same 2fer as Langue_doc.  I wanted it to take butchershop and some others, but no luck.  Congrats on another 2fer today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - GwP then off to other things. Glad I didn't go for QB though oddly enough I recall noticing vidiot and not bothering trying it.

LB - outbreaks-spotch.

Grading is done so I'm giving myself a few days off from other projects to have a real weekend.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Well above genius with the pangram.

QB yesterday, don't recall the last word. but it wasn't binning, which I found by indiscriminately adding the participial ending to words.

Didn't have the time to even think about LB yesterday or even look at today's crossword.

Happy solving, all!

Parasaurolophus

Somewhere in Beta or Alpha, with pangram.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

Alpha with pangram, two words to go.  Trying not to cave and look at hints, but I am stumped.

LB:  I had portulaca/awaken.  Again, this is different from the "official" solution, so I'm looking forward to seeing what else you all have found.  I have a 2fer today, too.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I am down to one word and also trying to hold out.  Yesterday I needed help for bigwig and husband needed help for bowwow.  Too many dumb words. 

I never got anywhere with LB among other things going on.  Portulaca is an interesting word, cathwen! Naturally, another plant I don't know.  Congrats on getting another one today!

The crossword today was cute but long as usual.  Yesterday we forgot about the early changeover, and husband didn't get back from work until after the deadline and hadn't finished.  But he was able to do so and keep his streak.  I had read that there is some leeway after the changeover, though I am not sure how much.  Still, I'm glad it worked out!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP yesterday and today.

LB - No 2fer but came close when I noticed that if I had a k in the correct position I would have had unwrap-potchke. Today a few contenders but no mates.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Above genius with the pangram.

Last word yesterday was thought.

magenta/abolish

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Amazing with pangram, and no LB yet!  Not my best day!

Yesterday, ought was my last word.  For LB, I had obligations/shame.

I won't have much puzzling time today—so not sure if I'll solve SB or LB.  But happy puzzling to everyone else!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - Yesterday, GwP then decided to look at the grid. Would not have found the O-10 outthought for love or money.

LB - no 2fer but lots of 3fers and 2fer b4ss.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I've got one more word to QB again and am stumped for now.  Yesterday's hard one for me was horror, I guess because of all the ough(t) stuff.  Ugh!

No luck on LB yesterday, so congrats on your 2fers! I found amalgamations later on and couldn't let go of it but couldn't find a mate.  Maybe today will be luckier.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on December 20, 2021, 08:11:29 AM
Good morning!

I've got one more word to QB again and am stumped for now.  Yesterday's hard one for me was horror, I guess because of all the ough(t) stuff.  Ugh!

No luck on LB yesterday, so congrats on your 2fers! I found amalgamations later on and couldn't let go of it but couldn't find a mate.  Maybe today will be luckier.

Happy solving!

Me too - I was so proud of amalgamations! Managed to eke out some 3fers along with that and others.

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, it was so frustrating! If only it would have taken shoebag as a mate.

We finally gave up on our last words, which ended up being the same word.  We knew the length, and even after help from Shunn on the first and then second letters and then whether or not it was a compound, we had no idea.  After guessing and guessing, husband finally got it.  Not a word I am familiar with, though it may have been in there before.  Yeek.  So, team QB.  I am glad he figured it out!