Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM today! 

But yesterday was not so great, as I had to resort to hints.  And even then, for kvell, I had to google words with kv- to find the word that corresponded to the definition.  I also missed teakettle, talkie, and latke.

LB:  I also had unwelcome-ejections.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Parasaurolophus, there are good days and bad days for us all, or even streaks of good/bad days.  As for Wordle, I hope the foreign language versions remain as they are.  I think it's only a matter of time before English Wordle goes behind a paywall, unfortunately.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP and just 3fers yesterday, including mouse-ejections-scowl. Reusing the c was quite a trick!

Not started yet. First, coffee.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Short bee today! Husband got to QBABH while I was getting more coffee, so we decided to hold off on further puzzling until later since he has a meeting.  I have two words left but am right at Alpha.  After finally looking at second letters yesterday for our final word and seeing kv-, it was a quick solve, but I don't think I would have gotten it without that.  Langue_doc, husband also got to like late in the puzzle!

I had the schmofficial solution for LB, jujitsu-unwelcome.  Congrats on the other solutions! And on another one today, cathwen!

Parasaurolophus, congrats on your GWP today!! I also wonder about how long Wordle will be truly free, or whether it will become free to subscribers.  Some speculate that NYT will use it like the free mini crosswords to draw folks in.  I saw a good suggestion to keep it free but charge $ to post your result to Twitter.  ;-) It will be interesting to see what happens with variants, though there are spelling bee-type apps that seem to exist just fine outside of the NYT domain, so maybe they will continue to exist.  I saw that they are also trying to figure out how to allow people to continue their streaks.  Maybe ask for the email associated with the NYT account? Not sure since one does not have to sign in to Wordle currently.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer! It's a little weird, so I might try to find another if I have time.

And one more word left to QB, so we'll see.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on February 01, 2022, 10:25:31 AM
Got a 2fer! It's a little weird, so I might try to find another if I have time.

And one more word left to QB, so we'll see.

Was about to post the same thing.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last word yesterday was otology.

pocket/turbans

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH, last word was mothy. I noticed it and thought "oh that's not a word" and didn't bother trying. Gah.

In the news of "may as well try it" got petcocks-suburban. A petcock is a small valve used to release gas or air. So now you know.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have two more words left today.  I couldn't believe I was so dumb yesterday, but despite the pangram being my first word, my last one was myth.  Ugh! At least I did finally find it without help and got to QB, but I thought I had that one and had tried re-entering every 4-letter but apparently missed that one completely.  Mothy was second to last, and I didn't think that was a word, either.

For LB, I got poet-turnbacks, which was accepted, but I wish I had had time to try to find a better one.  Congrats on your 2fers, Langue_doc and ciao_yall! And thanks for the new word, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Thanks to an exceedingly boring and repetitive department meeting this morning on WebEX, I made QBABM again today.  One has to stay awake somehow!

Mothy was not my last word yesterday (it was something dumb, like toll, I think), but I had tried it just for fun and was surprised when it was accepted. 

LB:  Yesterday I had bucket-transport.  I have a 2fer today, but the second word is, in my opinion, questionable.  Nevertheless, it was accepted.

Ciao-yall, thanks for adding a new word to our collective vocabulary! 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Yay, congrats on your QBABY, cathwen! We also managed to get to QBABO with different final words.

And congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today! I have a couple contenders so far, but they aren't great ones by any means.  We seem to have a number of questionable 2fer components lately, so I'm glad yours was also accepted.

I came across another two Wordle variants (sort of): Globle https://globle-game.com/ (figure out the mystery country on a world map) and Nerdle https://nerdlegame.com/ (figure out the mystery equation).  Despite my educational background in math and my ridiculous lack of knowledge of geography, I did way better on Globle than Nerdle, but it was fun to try.  Maybe if I can come up with a good starting equation like a good Wordle starting word, it will make it easier.  I think the Globle one might help me learn, so that's good.  Anyway, just sharing in case of interest.

monarda

Ooh, thanks! I tried nerdle for the first time and I liked that! Got it in 5 turns.
Now going to check out globle!

We got QB. But needed a hint for the last word. I only go to the hints when I'm really stuck. Usually we get QB just with the grid, and only sometimes need to look at the 2LL.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (second word) and genius. Last words yesterday were compile and mimeo.

Forgot all about LB.

Crosswords and sudokus were done last night.

Happy solving, all!