Main Menu

Impeachment

Started by nebo113, September 22, 2019, 05:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irhack

Quote from: miss jane marple on December 19, 2019, 09:11:07 AM
Quote from: Bede the Vulnerable on December 18, 2019, 09:09:06 PM
Quote from: pgher on December 18, 2019, 05:42:00 PM
I am SHOCKED, just SHOCKED, that Trump has been impeached. Everything has a feeling of inevitability, and meaninglessness. Of course he was going to be impeached; of course he'll be acquitted in the Senate; nobody on either side will have changed their mind about anything.

Yep.  His approval rating has gone from 43% in the summer to 43% now, per CNN polling.  All of this new information hasn't moved the needle one bit in terms of his core support.  And when the Senate fails to convict, they'll claim that he was exonerated.

In addition, the one thing missing from his narrative has been victimization (it's hard to claim to be a victim and a billionaire genius deity at the same time). Now he has the victim role as well. So whereas his base used to say, "he's the only one who tells the truth" they can now proudly say, "he's the only one who tells the truth AND he's gotten crucified for it". Literally. Crucified. Some politician has already said it. [sorry, no citation]

My elderly mother used the crucifixion analogy too. I was utterly horrified.

mahagonny

nebo113

This trial will be a mess.

writingprof

Quote from: nebo113 on January 17, 2020, 04:18:11 AM

Happily, very few Americans are paying attention.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

writingprof

Quote from: mamselle on January 17, 2020, 06:27:57 AM
Quote from: writingprof on January 17, 2020, 06:09:59 AM

Really?

OK.

M.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my sense is that the hearing we already sat through (or were there two?--one forgets so quickly) was the Left's chance to captivate the nation, and they mostly blew it.  Obviously Trump's not going to be removed from office, but I suspect his numbers won't even budge at this point.

How else might we settle the matter?  Track C-SPAN ratings? 

mahagonny

Quote from: writingprof on January 17, 2020, 08:47:17 AM

Really?

OK.

M.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my sense is that the hearing we already sat through (or were there two?--one forgets so quickly) was the Left's chance to captivate the nation, and they mostly blew it.  Obviously Trump's not going to be removed from office, but I suspect his numbers won't even budge at this point.

What could they have done differently that would have captivated you, writingprof?

Parasaurolophus

So Dershowitz and Starr will be on his legal team, eh?

I know it's a genus.

writingprof

Quote from: mahagonny on January 17, 2020, 09:55:18 AM
Quote from: writingprof on January 17, 2020, 08:47:17 AM

Really?

OK.

M.

What could they have done differently that would have captivated you, writingprof?

I assure you, I am not representative of the nation.  You may be relieved to know this. 

Ruralguy

I guess neither Starr nor Dershowitz are sufficiently relevant any longer and are happy to rob a criminal president of his "hard earned" dollars in order to regain some sort of "reputation" by "defending" him.

mahagonny

Quote from: writingprof on January 17, 2020, 10:20:36 AM

[/quote]

I assure you, I am not representative of the nation.  You may be relieved to know this.
[/quote]

What I'm getting at. There's nothing that could have been done differently that could have captivated the nation. We already knew how the House would vote, and we already know how the senate will vote, and each of us already *knows* whether or not he should be removed. Like Nancy said 'almost not worth it.' I don't anyone is representative of the nation at this time.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Ruralguy on January 17, 2020, 10:53:32 AM
I guess neither Starr nor Dershowitz are sufficiently relevant any longer and are happy to rob a criminal president of his "hard earned" dollars in order to regain some sort of "reputation" by "defending" him.

Assuming he doesn't stiff them like he has done everyone else...

Ruralguy

Although they might be charging by normal fee structure, my guess is they are both intelligent enough (maybe not?) to effectively consider this to be pro bono (with "bono" very loosely defined).

Descartes

I have no idea what most of the nation thinks, but I'm almost positive they are not following the latest developments and I think many don't care.  I've always learned to never underestimate the collective, aggregate stupidity of the nation.  Many people seem more able to tell you the latest developments in the lives of the Kardashians than those in contemporary politics.  (c.f. Jay Leno's old "Jaywalking" segments)

spork

How many cats that were obviously in the bag to begin with have to leave the bag, meow loudly, scratch up the corners of the living room couch, and cough up hairballs on the kitchen floor for GOP member of Congress to acknowledge that there were, in fact, cats in the bag?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/26/us/politics/trump-bolton-book-ukraine.html
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.