News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dinner--or Dessert--Tonight

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stockmann

We don't usually make a big deal of St. Valentine's, but this year we kind of went all-out on cooking, so we had:

-Salmorejo (a variant of gazpacho from Cordoba) soup with serrano ham
-Spinach, dried cranberries, apple, cheese and coconut salad with balsamic vinaigrette
-Cheese fondue
-Chocolate fondue
-Spanish red wine and mineral water as drinks

ab_grp

Quote from: Stockmann on February 18, 2023, 08:02:53 PM
We don't usually make a big deal of St. Valentine's, but this year we kind of went all-out on cooking, so we had:

-Spinach, dried cranberries, apple, cheese and coconut salad with balsamic vinaigrette
-Cheese fondue
-Chocolate fondue

That's an amazing dinner, Stockmann! I had not heard of salmorejo, but it sounds delicious from some of the recipes I found.  And easier to make than gazpacho.  Might have to try that one this summer.

Juvenal

What the hell is wrong is a few dry-ish cookies and a glass of milk?  Whaddyu want, a French gateau?

Sleep tight (and prowling with the bits lodged among the molars).
Cranky septuagenarian

Langue_doc

Kind neighbor sent me St. Patrick's Day dinner. The Irish soda bread was still warm.

Happy St Pat's Day to those of you who observe it.

Stockmann

Quote from: ab_grp on February 19, 2023, 08:01:29 AM
Quote from: Stockmann on February 18, 2023, 08:02:53 PM

-Cheese fondue
-Chocolate fondue

That's an amazing dinner, Stockmann! I had not heard of salmorejo, but it sounds delicious from some of the recipes I found.  And easier to make than gazpacho.  Might have to try that one this summer.

I've not tried my hand al gazpacho, but salmorejo isn't hard to make nor particularly time-consuming. It's both filling and refreshing, so it's perfect for warm weather. We have it two or three times per month though we're not Cordobese or anything.

AmLitHist

After yet another gloomy, rainy day, there is a hash brown casserole (with cheese and diced ham) in the oven.

secundem_artem

Ramps are available now.  So there's going to be a pasta primavera with ramps, asparagus, spinach, fancy mushrooms (alas, I could not get any morels), grape tomatoes.  Sautéed with a little olive oil, chicken stock and white wine.  Dusted with parmagiana regiano. 

Rhubarb is coming into season.  So that's likely dessert.  Stewed down with some sugar, bourbon, and vanilla and topped with whippedy cream.  Maybe even over some ice cream.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

sinenomine

Gloomy day here, but dinner will be good thanks to a trip to the local co-op — freshly made crab cakes for the entree, and what they call a "goo bar" for dessert (a treat I haven't tried before, but it looks like a wonderful melange of chocolate, coconut, and pastry).
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

evil_physics_witchcraft

We had an overcast day with some sporadic rain yesterday. Yuck!

Last night we had a homemade chicken vegetable soup with homemade challah rolls and butter. Store bought ice cream pie for dessert.

Langue_doc

Resurrecting this thread.

Rice, broccoli rabe, salmon, and a couple of other sides. Now it's time for a glass of port.

RatGuy

I've been invited to a pizza party by some theater faculty! They put me in charge of dessert. What's your go-to dessert (to make or bring) in a situation such as this?

For me it's Tres Leches!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: RatGuy on November 30, 2023, 01:59:44 PMI've been invited to a pizza party by some theater faculty! They put me in charge of dessert. What's your go-to dessert (to make or bring) in a situation such as this?

For me it's Tres Leches!

Brownies, bar cookies, or cheesecake!

Stockmann

Due to medical concerns, I've had to change my diet. Nevertheless, some recent-ish notable meals include:

-For my birthday, going to what is probably my favorite Japanese restaurant and having miso soup and eel on a bed of rice.
-Portobello mushroom soup with shallots and garlic, made with the bones of leftover duck from NYE, steamed vegetables with olive oil, baked salmon.
-NYE meal with roast duck, cod, spinach salad with nuts and  balsamic vinaigrette, wild rice.

ab_grp

Quote from: Stockmann on January 02, 2024, 08:36:32 PMDue to medical concerns, I've had to change my diet. Nevertheless, some recent-ish notable meals include:

-For my birthday, going to what is probably my favorite Japanese restaurant and having miso soup and eel on a bed of rice.
-Portobello mushroom soup with shallots and garlic, made with the bones of leftover duck from NYE, steamed vegetables with olive oil, baked salmon.
-NYE meal with roast duck, cod, spinach salad with nuts and  balsamic vinaigrette, wild rice.

This all sounds amazing! Do you happen to have a recipe for the mushroom soup that you could share? My husband's been into making soups lately, and I love mushroom soups! And did you do a sauce with the duck? We have duck to make soon, and I have been trying to figure out what kind of sauce or demiglaze to make with it.  There used to be a wonderful duck on the menu at my favorite restaurant back home, and I keep forgetting to try to look at old menus to see if I can find out what they accompanied it with.

We did roasted lamb with leftover stuffing and bagna cauda brussels for NYE.  Last night, we did some pork chops (just cut up pork loin) for the first time in a while.  Those were sous vided and then finished in the stainless steel pan.  We have been using the lamb in sandwiches and will do the same with some of the remaining pork chops today.  I will post those on the lunch thread!  While veggie kidult was here, we had their favorite dishes, such as veg chili and eggplant lasagna.  We also ordered some ramen, sushi, and so forth.  This place makes a tonkatsu ramen that is so flavorful.  I think they mentioned that they simmer the broth for 11 hours or so? Every ramen they make is really delicious.  Aside from these unusual meals, we have still been having either salmon or Arctic char every night (except Sundays, which are usually a low-carb shrimp scampi or fra diavolo or some such).

Stockmann

Quote from: ab_grp on January 03, 2024, 10:24:39 AM
Quote from: Stockmann on January 02, 2024, 08:36:32 PMDue to medical concerns, I've had to change my diet. Nevertheless, some recent-ish notable meals include:

This all sounds amazing! Do you happen to have a recipe for the mushroom soup that you could share? My husband's been into making soups lately, and I love mushroom soups! And did you do a sauce with the duck? We have duck to make soon, and I have been trying to figure out what kind of sauce or demiglaze to make with it.  There used to be a wonderful duck on the menu at my favorite restaurant back home, and I keep forgetting to try to look at old menus to see if I can find out what they accompanied it with.

I out the duck bones in a large pot with water, added about half a pound of coarsely chopped portobello mushrooms, one chopped clove of garlic and a couple of finely chopped shallots, salt and pepper. I boiled it at low heat, turning the duck skeleton a couple of times to ensure every bit was under the water some of the time. Boiled it until the mushrooms were thoroughly cooked.
The duck itself was baked with blackberries and injected with orange liquor and seasoned with salt and pepper.