News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Herd your cats here

Started by eigen, May 17, 2019, 02:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

The little finicky barn kitten who refused anything but milk and baby-food chicken. . . . is now eating real (canned) cat food!  Ta da! It only took her 5 1/2 months.

nebo113

From today's WashingtonPost.    Diane Harlan of Portland, Ore., was helping her mother carve second helpings for their family dinner. "We went into the kitchen and to our absolute horror, there was a black tail coming out of the turkey cavity," she wrote. "We literally had to pull the cat out of the turkey by the tail and he was clawing like mad to stay right where he was. We got him out, but he was covered in turkey juice and the remnants of stuffing."

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Volhiker78

Quote from: nebo113 on November 17, 2022, 04:15:49 AM
From today's WashingtonPost.    Diane Harlan of Portland, Ore., was helping her mother carve second helpings for their family dinner. "We went into the kitchen and to our absolute horror, there was a black tail coming out of the turkey cavity," she wrote. "We literally had to pull the cat out of the turkey by the tail and he was clawing like mad to stay right where he was. We got him out, but he was covered in turkey juice and the remnants of stuffing."

Hilarious.  Both our cats have an interest in 'People Food' but their tastes are different.  Lil is the meat eater.  We caught her once trying to steal a pork chop off of a plate.  Her only comment when we got it away from her was 'overcooked - I prefer my meat on the raw side.'   Boo is the sweet tooth and enjoys cake frosting especially. 

apl68

I thought that only happened in Garfield cartoons, not in real life!
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Harlow2

Quote from: apl68 on November 17, 2022, 07:20:53 AM

I thought that only happened in Garfield cartoons, not in real life!

One year, we left the just-cooked golden brown turkey cooling in its juices on top of the stove and turned around to set the table. When we turned back we saw our cat pulling the 15 pound turkey (cat was 10 pounds) off the stove. She had a drumstick clenched in her teeth and was heading toward the basement door with a wild look.  Fortunately we rescued the turkey and the guests seated in the living room did not notice any tooth marks on the drumstick. We did wipe it carefully.

the_geneticist

Wow!  Think of how joyfully proud those cats were. "I have caught the Biggest Bird Ever."
We shall compose epic songs to praise their skills as the mightiest of mighty hunters.

Don't tell Sir Puck about the cat-inside-turkey or he will demand to try it for himself.

Larimar

I think the Larimar cats would be interested in trying it, too, especially Twerp.

Luckily, there will be no turkey roasting in the house here. My sister-in-law and niece will be doing it.

Puget

Please send your thoughts and prayers for Panther Boy and Little Calico, who have had a hard week--

First, there were workers at the house. They were only outside and in the basement, but they could have gotten inside and eaten them at any moment.

Then, we were out of kibble for 24 hours and they were forced to subsist on all wet food (actually, only Panther Boy needs thoughts on prayers on this one, Little Calico would like this to be the permanent state of affairs).

Then today I had people over for brunch, and although they had lots of brunch food to eat and showed no signs of being interested in eating cats, you just never do know.

Now everyone is gone, and there is both kibble and wet food, so hopefully they can begin to recover from these trying times.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Awwww....poor kitties.

Good thoughts winging their way.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

OneMoreYear

I think my Ricochet kitty might be distantly related to Panther Boy and Little Calico. Ricochet recommends hiding under the furniture when scary humans (i.e., anyone aside from hubby and I) are in the house. In an emergency, she recommends locating the wormhole in the basement and not returning until several hours after the scary humans have left. She agrees with Panther Boy that there should never be a substitution for kibble.

Ninja offers the cat-version of rolling her eyes and wishes to remind Panther Boy and Little Calico that they are the kings/queens of the household, and they should act like it. New people are in the house to worship the feline royalty, and royalty should not hide.

Puget

Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 20, 2022, 05:19:39 PM
I think my Ricochet kitty might be distantly related to Panther Boy and Little Calico. Ricochet recommends hiding under the furniture when scary humans (i.e., anyone aside from hubby and I) are in the house. In an emergency, she recommends locating the wormhole in the basement and not returning until several hours after the scary humans have left. She agrees with Panther Boy that there should never be a substitution for kibble.

Ninja offers the cat-version of rolling her eyes and wishes to remind Panther Boy and Little Calico that they are the kings/queens of the household, and they should act like it. New people are in the house to worship the feline royalty, and royalty should not hide.

Panther Boy and Little Calico say that under furniture is for cats who want to get eaten. Cats that do not want to get eaten hide in the cabinet above the refrigerator (Panther Boy) and the top shelf of the bedroom closet behind the out of season shoes (Little Calico).

But now everyone is arranged in front of the fireplace uneaten, so all is well in the world again.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

the_geneticist

Izzy says the only place to avoid being smashed and eaten is to cram yourself in the deepest, darkest spot under the bed.  And to live there.  If it's truly dire, then Sir Puck and Lady Jane will join her.

Send sympathy to our cats as we shall also have company.

Puget

The cat heating pads are back out for the season, and there is much rejoicing.

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 21, 2022, 07:56:15 AM
Izzy says the only place to avoid being smashed and eaten is to cram yourself in the deepest, darkest spot under the bed.  And to live there.  If it's truly dire, then Sir Puck and Lady Jane will join her.

Send sympathy to our cats as we shall also have company.

Why do we all insist on bringing potential cat eaters into our homes? The gall!

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Puget on November 23, 2022, 07:18:55 AM
The cat heating pads are back out for the season, and there is much rejoicing.

I think I need to get Ricochet one of these, since she's currently laying directly on top of the heading vent. Does anyone have a recommendation for one? Do you use the kind that is electric?