News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What does the "buddies" function do?

Started by downer, April 15, 2020, 07:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I'm glad to have worked out the ignore function. Now I'm curious about buddies function. What does it do?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

polly_mer

On the home page, I can see a notice near the bottom like "18 Guests, 19 Users (1 Buddy)".

Buddies I have marked show up in a slightly different color in the list of active users so I can click on their names, go their profile, and then click on most recent posts.

In the buddies list, I can also have a shortcut to the profiles that I want to read post-by-post instead of by topic or all new posts.

I don't know what else can be done, but I do appreciate being able to more quickly check on posts by people who are nearly always worth reading instead of wading through all the new posts on any given topic, especially once it's clear where a thread is heading and I'm only looking for the diamonds.

I can, of course, search for members, click to their profile from the search, and then click on "recent posts", but going by memory instead of the list means I sometimes miss people who are much less posty and therefore didn't immediately come to mind.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

paultuttle

Quote from: polly_mer on April 15, 2020, 08:09:00 AM
On the home page, I can see a notice near the bottom like "18 Guests, 19 Users (1 Buddy)".

Buddies I have marked show up in a slightly different color in the list of active users so I can click on their names, go their profile, and then click on most recent posts.

In the buddies list, I can also have a shortcut to the profiles that I want to read post-by-post instead of by topic or all new posts.

I don't know what else can be done, but I do appreciate being able to more quickly check on posts by people who are nearly always worth reading instead of wading through all the new posts on any given topic, especially once it's clear where a thread is heading and I'm only looking for the diamonds.

I can, of course, search for members, click to their profile from the search, and then click on "recent posts", but going by memory instead of the list means I sometimes miss people who are much less posty and therefore didn't immediately come to mind.

Good to know, Polly! Thanks much for the explanation.