News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Apocalyptic Alimentation (or General Food Prep Tips)

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, May 12, 2020, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, I zested and extracted the juice of five rather limp lemons today and froze said contents. I plan to make some lemon bars using the juice and some leftover crushed digestive biscuits.

What are you doing to minimize food waste?

dismalist

Ordering frozen juice bars for delivery. No waste there.

Some times they come; sometimes they do not. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ohnoes

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 12, 2020, 07:54:17 PM
What are you doing to minimize food waste?

I'm definitely doing my part.  I'm eating more.

Puget

I was raised with an aversion to wasting food, so most of this is not new to me--

I use the same technique I use with large quantities of CSA veggies-- process them down (roast, sauté etc.) while still very fresh, using fairly neutral seasonings-- keep some in fridge for the week and freeze the rest. For example, roast a cauliflower (cut into pieces or "steaks") with olive oil, garlic, some salt. It can then be seasoned different ways and go in pasta for one meal, couscous for another etc.

Likewise, anything past its prime can get turned into a soup or sauce, where the degradation in texture doesn't matter -- wrinkly peppers, zucchini going soft, desiccated mushrooms? Into a tomato sauce they go!

I also make all my own bread (for years) and turn any stale ends of loaves into homemade croutons (cut to crouton size, allow to finish drying out, brown in a little olive oil or butter, seasoned as you like,  over low heat in a cast iron pan, or in the oven.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Larimar

Mr. Larimar and I have been planning meals several days in advance and refraining from buying eggs and milk and produce unless we have a plan for finishing them.

Also any leftover cat food goes to the feral colony outside. We have always done that though.

I too was raised not to waste food. My grandparents had a rough time during the Depression & raised my mother & aunts with the "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" mindset. At least some measure of that was passed along to me.

the_geneticist

I was also raised to not waste food.  "Leftovers night" was a once a week or so event where we ate anything left from meals that week.
I make stock from bones + veggie ends, compost anything that can't go into the stock, and in general just try to be aware of what is in the fridge and needs to be eaten.
Honestly, the best way to reduce food waste is to buy less food and only buy what you'll actually eat.  Most food waste is from forgetting what you have and/or having an aversion to eating leftovers.

fleabite

I cooked Brussels sprouts last night, but discovered on digging in that one of the sprouts was... shall we say..."occupied." I consumed its vacant top half, but must confess to have discarded the inhabited section. I hope that refusing the gift of insect protein does not tag me as irredeemably wasteful.

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 13, 2020, 09:38:06 AM
Honestly, the best way to reduce food waste is to buy less food and only buy what you'll actually eat.  Most food waste is from forgetting what you have and/or having an aversion to eating leftovers.

I've generally been able to keep food wastage at very low levels by doing this.  Admittedly it's easier in a one-person household.

Then again, households with hungry teenagers probably don't throw out a lot either.  Unless the teens have been taught by example to be very picky or something.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

I allowed some potatoes to sit too long. I cut 'em up and planted them, and now they're growing additional potatoes.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 13, 2020, 11:07:06 AM
I allowed some potatoes to sit too long. I cut 'em up and planted them, and now they're growing additional potatoes.

I plan on doing this with some small yellow potatoes we have.

Vkw10

I make soup, quiche, and frittata. I chop miscellaneous produce into pasta sauce or chili, which I serve with pasta or baked potato or barley or toasted stale bread. I also use stale breads and rolls for baked French toast. I scramble the last egg with cottage cheese and Worcester sauce for breakfast.

I inspect refrigerator and pantry, write menus, then make grocery list. And, if I sometimes call my neighbor to ask if they want half the bag of oranges that I doubt I'll finish.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

mamselle

Bread pudding can use up all the stale or drying ends of bread, the last slice of journeycake if there is one (well, there usually isn't one, that goes quickly...), old muffin halves, etc. Tear 'em up into chunks and mix them all together.

An egg if you have one, none (or mayo plus a dab of honey, mixed well, if you wish an egg-based binding agent), milk or water (or sour cream or slightly soured milk), cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, melted butter (or a light cooking oil), brown sugar, maple syrup, or honey...as you choose.

Mix and continue to add some liquid until the the bread is getting spongy, bake in a glass/ceramic dish (or whatever else you like, but I think they bake better in glass)--add a bit of butter on top to get a crusty top if you like, and maybe a bit more liquid half-way through if it seems to be separating. 

Temperature? I dunno, about 350 or so, maybe; for as long as it takes to spring back with you push hard on the center top. Or maybe a bit longer....

You could go the savory direction, too, use some old stuffing, use basil, oregano, Herbes de Provence, rosemary, sage, maybe a bit of chicken stock instead of some of the milk, etc.

Either one is great re-heated/toasted with butter, or (the former) with a bit more syrup...or ice cream.... 

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

People food can be used to feed the furrier 'people that may allow you to share their living space.

And dont worry too much about others saying "Dogs cant eat that! "  Just ask the dog and do an experiment.  Very little that I have ever offered a dog was refused! 

(However, I had a dog that would beg and beg for apple slices, and then eat the white but spit out the skin.  Only the skin.  It was clean of anything that could be called apple!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Do NOT give chocolate to dogs, however...

Just sayin'...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: mamselle on May 14, 2020, 05:36:51 AM
Do NOT give chocolate to dogs, however...

Just sayin'...

M.

Or onions.  I don't know the dose required, but they cause  - anemia, I think?