News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ketamine For Depression

Started by mahagonny, May 20, 2020, 03:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Well...you know what I'm going to ask. Anybody had success with it? Or some other experience with it that relevant to treating depression?
[No robo tripping posts please...hah)
Thanks. I am thinking seriously.

mahagonny

A little background, and why it's not widely available. Like some other things, its reputation as a dangerous street drug may have hindered its being taken seriously, researched, in much lower doses. The thing that impresses me as how quickly it works. With many patients, in a few hours, the depression has lifted. Like, the sun just came out from behind the clouds. Whereas traditional treatments like SSRI's can save lives, but it may be one to three weeks before the true effect consolidates. And you may find out after all that time that it's not the right medication for you. Quite a drawback when a patient is in seriously bad shape.
Another thing that strikes me, many medicines that we trust for specific remedies are psychoactive in high doses. Benadryl, DXM. But they got on the market before becoming street drugs. People are even using 'microdoses' of LSD now claiming it improves alertness and creativity. I think I'll skip that one. But then, just to keep things in perspective, I drink coffee, just not twelve cups of it at 9:00 in the morning.
It's all about the amount you take.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/features/what-does-ketamine-do-your-brain#2

polly_mer

Have you seen https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327052#Looking-for-side-effects (or similar) and then read the relevant peer-reviewed articles referenced?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

mahagonny

I thought I might have a conversation with someone here who had done this. But yes, one can always google and read.

the_geneticist

Quote from: mahagonny on May 21, 2020, 10:23:43 AM
I thought I might have a conversation with someone here who had done this. But yes, one can always google and read.

Well, ketamine is still considered a "last resort" sort of treatment after several rounds of failure on medication, not a first go-to-method.  And most therapists/psychologists/etc. don't offer it.  The majority of patients with depression use a combination of medications and therapy, and many don't even know about the option of ketamine.
That's a very person piece of medical information you're folks on a semi-anonymous forum to share.  Besides, it would just be one anecdotal story.  You're better off reading the literature.

polly_mer

This is a pretty specialized and new treatment.  I'm not saying no one here will have experience, but you might have a better shot at search, read, and post what you learn for context in a broader discussion regarding depression treatments.

I'm certain we have enough people for a broad ongoing discussion on depression and various treatments with individual personal experiences.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mahagonny

Well, ketamine is still considered a "last resort" sort of treatment after several rounds of failure on medication, not a first go-to-method.  And most therapists/psychologists/etc. don't offer it.  The majority of patients with depression use a combination of medications and therapy, and many don't even know about the option of ketamine.
That's a very person piece of medical information you're folks on a semi-anonymous forum to share.  Besides, it would just be one anecdotal story.  You're better off reading the literature.
[/quote]

All this can be related to the stigma of 'street drugs' 'date rape drugs' which DXM can certainly be as well.

I was thinking of the option of reading literature and conversing with anyone here who might have experience with it, together.

mahagonny

Quote from: polly_mer on May 21, 2020, 11:16:53 AM

I'm certain we have enough people for a broad ongoing discussion on depression and various treatments with individual personal experiences.

That would be fine. My interest is more information about pros and cons of various treatments, gathering information, and less on a place to go for moral support. (Although if people benefit from that, well and good.) I am equipped with health insurance and experience with professionals who treat disorders.

mahagonny

Quote from: mahagonny on May 22, 2020, 10:29:07 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on May 21, 2020, 11:16:53 AM

That would be fine. My interest is more information about pros and cons of various treatments, gathering information, and less on a place to go for moral support. (Although if people benefit from that, well and good.) I am equipped with health insurance and experience with professionals who treat disorders.

And that's what a good union can get you. With time, a little luck, and many hands making light(er) work.