Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What are You Listening to Now?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, June 06, 2020, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

downer

And now I've discovered Iris DeMent.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

Last night, Jeremy Brett in "The Merry Widow," a bit fuzzy visually, but spot-on vocally.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Handel's Messiah.  Because it's the right time of year for it.  I think I get something new from it every year.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Vkw10

Charlie Pride on Amazon Music. I'm discovering many of his good but no longer popular songs.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Langue_doc

Quote from: apl68 on December 21, 2020, 07:10:09 AM
Handel's Messiah.  Because it's the right time of year for it.  I think I get something new from it every year.

This is what I'm listening to now on the classical music radio station. I was planning to listen to it later tonight, but serendipity seems to be at work.

apl68

While home for Christmas I got to hear my mother play the piano.  She was a very accomplished pianist when she was younger.  In my lifetime she has mostly played piano for the small churches that Dad has pastored (The pastor's wife is often the default church pianist in small congregations).  Living a busy life as a mother and teacher has kept Mom from keeping her piano skills as sharp as they might otherwise be.  But she has always been a very good church pianist.  Although she does put in little flourishes, she has always been careful to play arrangements that are very singable by the congregation at large.  Years ago one church member paid her the compliment of saying that when she played a hymn you could almost hear the piano singing the lyrics.

She's still playing for the church at age 77.  For years she was one of the town's go-to wedding and funeral pianists.  When Mom was 13 she was already their church's pianist and had to play for her own baptismal service.  She's been known to joke that she'll probably end up having to play for her own funeral.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on January 04, 2021, 07:47:50 AM
While home for Christmas I got to hear my mother play the piano.  She was a very accomplished pianist when she was younger.  In my lifetime she has mostly played piano for the small churches that Dad has pastored (The pastor's wife is often the default church pianist in small congregations).  Living a busy life as a mother and teacher has kept Mom from keeping her piano skills as sharp as they might otherwise be.  But she has always been a very good church pianist.  Although she does put in little flourishes, she has always been careful to play arrangements that are very singable by the congregation at large.  Years ago one church member paid her the compliment of saying that when she played a hymn you could almost hear the piano singing the lyrics.

She's still playing for the church at age 77.  For years she was one of the town's go-to wedding and funeral pianists.  When Mom was 13 she was already their church's pianist and had to play for her own baptismal service.  She's been known to joke that she'll probably end up having to play for her own funeral.

Yea, keyboards!! Go, mom!!!

My piano teacher was in her late 80s when I started with her. I could never verify it, except stylistically, but she said she'd been one of Schnabel's last pupils. I'm still working from and teaching what she taught me.

Me, myself, right now...I would love to be listening to one of my long-looped chant tapes, or some Barenboim, or something, but I have to finish this transcription and you can't listen to music while you...

But afterwards..

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

little bongo

This thread reminds me of my favorite Charlie Brown joke, where he, Lucy, and Linus are looking up at the clouds, and Lucy asks what kinds of pictures Linus sees in the sky. Linus sees groups of clouds that resemble the Honduras, the sculptor Thomas Eakins, and the Stoning of Stephen. Lucy notes that was very good, and asks Charlie Brown what he sees.

"Well, I was going to say I saw a ducky and a horsie, but I changed my mind."

Oh, and I'm listening to the Clash, "Police on My Back."

mamselle

Quote from: little bongo on January 04, 2021, 09:57:47 AM
This thread reminds me of my favorite Charlie Brown joke, where he, Lucy, and Linus are looking up at the clouds, and Lucy asks what kinds of pictures Linus sees in the sky. Linus sees groups of clouds that resemble the Honduras, the sculptor Thomas Eakins, and the Stoning of Stephen. Lucy notes that was very good, and asks Charlie Brown what he sees.

"Well, I was going to say I saw a ducky and a horsie, but I changed my mind."

Oh, and I'm listening to the Clash, "Police on My Back."

Learn something new every day.

I was about to rush in to type that Eakins was a painter, not a sculptor, but thought I'd better look him up to be sure.

I see he did 3-D works as well, which makes sense in a way, his painted bodies are very plastic, but I hadn't known of his other work.

Thanks!!

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Vkw10

A Very Strange Medley by Barry Manilow.

Asked Alexa to play "strange", wanting audiobook "strange" something. Should have asked her to read, but instead I got this odd compilation of commercial jingles from childhood. Partner and I both joined in on "get a bucket of chicken finger licking good." Nephew is now playing it repeatedly, laughing.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)