News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What are You Listening to Now?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, June 06, 2020, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Be'lakor - The Smoke of Many Fires

Solid melodeath, newly discovered. From what I can tell, pretty much all the songs are pretty long (like, 7-10 minutes), with a fair few changes of tempo (which is a feature I've always loved in a song).
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe.

Fits the mental state of the last weekday before a semester starts.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: FishProf on January 29, 2021, 09:10:49 AM

Haha, I love that album! But is your mental state Superbeast or Living Dead Girl?

(I saw him live at a festival about ten years ago, but I'm afraid it wasn't a very good performance at all. He was followed by Finntroll, who tore it up.)
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on January 29, 2021, 09:51:15 AM
Quote from: FishProf on January 29, 2021, 09:10:49 AM

Haha, I love that album! But is your mental state Superbeast or Living Dead Girl?

(I saw him live at a festival about ten years ago, but I'm afraid it wasn't a very good performance at all. He was followed by Finntroll, who tore it up.)

More Human than Human, actually

mamselle

I have three students doing Hanon exercise no. 17 this week, and I just realized that's what I'm hearing in my head as I wind down from the week's teaching...!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AJ_Katz

Just created a Bjork station on Pandora...  love that woman, such a creative person who is not afraid to express herself.

wellfleet

One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

FishProf

sinenomine

My furnace running and running — it's O degrees (Fahrenheit) outside!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

evil_physics_witchcraft

mamselle

A Chopin mazurka I discussed in Theory class on Friday.

There's a weird, wild, wonderful jump of an augmented 5th downward that just won't leave my brain alone..!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Vkw10

The Kingston Trio. They were mentioned in the book I'm reading, with characters debating whether they should be applauded for making folk music popular in the early 1960s or derided for commercializing folk songs with inauthentic arrangements. I wouldn't call them folk singers, because at least half of what I've heard isn't folk song.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Morris Zapp

I recently discovered Masters of Chant.  They use features of Gregorian Chant but perform songs like Stairway to Heaven.  Weird and wonderful.

mamselle

The Bach violin concerti to which Paul Taylor's "Esplanade" was set,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZimXHcy_tFQ

Mozart's "Ave Verum Corpus" (Vienna Boy Choir)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXjn6srhAlY

and (also Mozart) Laudate Dominum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S43CKjIGVg   

And Allegri's Miserere Mei:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX1zicNRLmY

And a bunch of videos on the history of the piano for my music theory class in...um...an hour...

Ppts just about done, so it's all good.

M