News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What are You Listening to Now?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, June 06, 2020, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on July 02, 2020, 03:52:52 PM
Wow.

Thank you.

M.

So, then I found this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRf4pNhEJQk

Trouble is, with the cool yodeling and other instruments being used, I have to stop what I'm working on and flip the screen up to watch them.

It's hard to use as background music to work to, when that happens....

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Enjoyed the latest episode of Scran, a podcast by the Scotsman Food & Drink staff. An intro to Scottish rum:
https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/scran-season-2-the-experts-guide-to-scottish-rum-with-matugga-rum-and-ninefold-distillery/
I listen on Apple Podcasts desktop.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on July 02, 2020, 02:37:24 PM

I had never heard of this band and think of myself as more of a thrash fan (though I guess one could debate where the line is drawn in some cases), but I listened to a couple songs and really like the music.  I just looked for top-rated songs (Unstoppable, Memento Mori, and Bloodline, according to one site), so if you have any particular recommendations, I'd like to check them out.

Recommendations band-wise, or song-wise? (Sorry for the late response; I only just checked back.)
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 10, 2020, 02:18:39 PM

I had never heard of this band and think of myself as more of a thrash fan (though I guess one could debate where the line is drawn in some cases), but I listened to a couple songs and really like the music.  I just looked for top-rated songs (Unstoppable, Memento Mori, and Bloodline, according to one site), so if you have any particular recommendations, I'd like to check them out.

Recommendations band-wise, or song-wise? (Sorry for the late response; I only just checked back.)

No worries! I was thinking song-wise for that band aside from the ones I mentioned, but if you have band recommendations too, fantastic.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: ab_grp on July 10, 2020, 02:56:23 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 10, 2020, 02:18:39 PM

No worries! I was thinking song-wise for that band aside from the ones I mentioned, but if you have band recommendations too, fantastic.

I quite like Crows, Ghosts, and The Sovereign, in addition to the ones you mention.

Alas, I don't much care for thrash (although I haven't explored the genre in a couple decades, so maybe things have changed?). But if you want to explore more melodeath, you should try Amon Amarth, Finntroll, and Dark Tranquillity for a start. Arch Enemy is pretty similar to Aephanemer, especially the more recent stuff, so that might also be of interest. And then there's Nekrogoblikon, who are a lot of fun.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 23, 2020, 03:08:02 PM
I quite like Crows, Ghosts, and The Sovereign, in addition to the ones you mention.

Alas, I don't much care for thrash (although I haven't explored the genre in a couple decades, so maybe things have changed?). But if you want to explore more melodeath, you should try Amon Amarth, Finntroll, and Dark Tranquillity for a start. Arch Enemy is pretty similar to Aephanemer, especially the more recent stuff, so that might also be of interest. And then there's Nekrogoblikon, who are a lot of fun.

Thanks! I just listened to the other three Aephanemer songs you listed.  I like the music a lot, and Crows and the music from The Sovereign remind me so much of a song I love that I can't think of! I will try to come up with it in case it's one you would be interested in (and, also, I really want to listen to it now).  Argh.  I will check out the other bands as well!

Vkw10

What kind of fool am I, written by Leslie Bricusse and  Anthony Newley, performed by Sammy Davis, Jr. (Live version).

One of my students used data about the Grammy Award for Song of the Year winners in an assignment recently. That was an unusual data choice for my course, so I needed to verify some of it. I'm now building a playlist of winners and nominees, as I listen to how U.S. popular music has changed since 1959.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

hmaria1609

ab_grp

I found out that the Galavant TV series soundtrack was on iTunes and quickly downloaded that and am enjoying it so much.

ETA: I loved the soundtrack while watching the show, and that makes a lot more sense now.  Apparently Alan Menken (listed as having credits that include Little Shop of Horrors, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Newsies, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Hercules, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Home on the Range, Enchanted and Tangled) composed the songs!

hmaria1609

The latest episode of Booklist's "Shelf Care Interview" series and podcast--an interview with Nancy Pearl

I saw Ms. Pearl as she moderated an author's panel during ALA Annual Chicago one year. I forget what it was about however it was neat to see her.

Economizer

Classical music on local NPR affiliate. Kinda foreboding for the moment. Ooolh, harp!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

apl68

Quote from: hmaria1609 on July 27, 2020, 06:34:25 PM
"The Celts" (1992) by Enya

Haven't listened to it lately, but I love it.  Some of my favorite Enya music.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all