News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What are You Listening to Now?

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, June 06, 2020, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

mamselle

a) The Theme from Jeeves and Wooster, most recently, because I included it on an ear training slide for a music student(one wants to lead them into useful hobbies, if surreptitiously, at times...)

b) Whale sounds, same slide (especially the one where the whale gives this big, heaving groan-like sound before diving, it sounds like, "Oh, get me out of here....")

c) The Polyphonic Choir referred to earlier on this thread, I've used it several times now as an example of vocal music for students who know Western stuff well enough, just to tickle their ears and get them to hear new musics...thanks, Hegemony!!)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

The latest episode of "Scran" podcast on the history malt riots in Glasgow and whisky:
https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/scan-season-2-how-the-malt-riots-led-to-the-birth-of-whisky/
Enjoy!  This podcast is my weekly dose of Scotland though its cuisine. :)

mamselle

Bach's D Major Fugue, the postlude for today's service.

Glorious architecture.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

downer

Right now, some Liszt piano music, but the big news is that I'm getting into Fairport Convention.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Ruralguy

Early Convention (Richard Thompson, Sandy Denny) or later (Dave Pegg,et al.)?

I think I like some of all of their incarnations, but especially Full House album and earlier.

downer

The early stuff, since it started with me getting back into Richard Thompson. But I am ready to get into their more recent releases. I didn't even realize that they are still going.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

Chopin....one Nocturne and one Waltz, which two different students are playing (and getting kind of decent at, it's fun hearing them "get" the nuances and shadings required).

M.

Ruralguy

First five Fairport Convention albums are classics, all different, and all worth it in my book.  Along with that, the live album from the end of that period, "House Full" is good.

Of their later period, Gladys' Leap has some good material.  I recall at one time listening to The Five Seasons album, but I couldn't swear to it being great. If they still tour, they are worth seeing live.

Richard Thompson solo (and with Linda Thompson) is just whole other "thing", but I more or less like (almost) all of it

FishProf

New Order "The Beach" Extended Remix. Upbeat but (largely) vocal-less, so it's good while editing slides.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

fishbrains

Just submitted final grades for a "1st session" class. There's only one song I can play for that: https://youtu.be/QoQZ0qmf-mk.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

evil_physics_witchcraft