News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Words are all obvious ones.

I'm going to take a break from posting as I think I've come down with a bug. I'm officially sick for the rest of the day--canceled the Zoom.

Congrats overachievers and good luck getting there if you haven't done so.

Got to be QB, but can't keep my eyes open much longer.

cathwen

Hooray, Parasaurolophus!  And ciao_yall, for the second pangram! 

Congratulations on QB, Langue_doc! And I hope you feel better soon.

And I just made it to QB, after having been stuck for a good while.

ab_grp

Yay! Congrats, Langue_doc, and cathwen! And continued good luck to Parasaurolophus and ciao_yall!

I managed to get a 2fer on my phone while taking a break just now.  One word just popped out at me, despite my not seeing it or any real contenders on my PC.

Langue_doc, I hope you feel better and that the rest helps!

ciao_yall

SB - Still barely into genius but it's 8PM Eastern.

Anyone have any fun hints for odd words? I'll share one: A watery plant, insect or goddess.

How about LB 2fers? I have a 2fer but I suspect we all have the same one as there only seems to be one combo of letters that works, and we all found it pretty quickly. I shall refrain from being a spoiler unless someone wants one.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

One pangram and genius. There's probably another pangram lurking somewhere.

After seeing ab_grp's post about LB, I felt encouraged to look for words and found subjective. I couldn't find a word with the remaining letters when all of a sudden, I realized that these letters would work as the first word, which gave me maps/subjective.

Thank you for your good thoughts, cathwen and ab_grp. The rest definitely helped.

The crossword was difficult--had to take a peek at the solution.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning, all!

Langue_doc, I'm glad you're feeling better now. 

I also got maps-subjective for yesterday's LB.  Amps would have worked, too.  Were there other solutions?  I found a solution today, too.

I'm at genius with one pangram today on SB.  According to nytbee.com, there is only one pangram and a maximum of 222 points.  Ugh!  That seems unreachable. 

ciao_yall

SB - went to the comments board and hit QB, whee. No weird words. 3 pangrams, as it turned out.

This morning, slow-ish start. Won't take olla.

LB - spams-subjective. Seems that was the only choice. Really wanted to do something with the word juice. in the past it has taken jujube and bejesus which weren't going to work.

Yesterday I went to the online solver, and subjective was pretty much it. I don't like them when they won't take a variety of solutions.

cathwen you are a natural!

ETA: Got a 2fer almost on the first try. Well, back to the bee to try to keep up with ab_grp and langue-doc

Langue_doc

And now, for something completely different...(channeling Monty Python)

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 18, 2021, 08:05:52 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 18, 2021, 08:03:09 AM
The hatchling hatched this morning at 00h33. It was a very difficult hatching, but ended well.

Congrats! Be well, both of you.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Langue_doc, I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better.  And that you took a crack at LB and found a 2fer! I also got maps-subjective (subjective first, as well).   And I thought the crossword was definitely tricky, technical-wise, just knowing what to do.  I'm glad I got the gold star before looking at the blog, because I think those instructions were incorrect, at least in my case.  When I finished and opened the comments, there were 429 of them, which is definitely a sign that there were some feelings about the puzzle.

Got to Alpha today, 201.  Lots of the old familiar words in there from previous puzzles with these letters.  It took me a while to find the (?) pangram, which got me to genius.  I kept finding more of the previous words, but we'll see about QB later.

Congrats on your 2fers, cathwen and ciao_yall! And congrats on QB yesterday as well, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

On preview: ayeeeeeee!! Thanks for posting that here, Langue_doc!!

ciao_yall

Genius, but only one pangram. You all say there is at least one more? Okay, back in for some more searching. Yes, all the usual Bee trope words in there. And the ones it won't take. Grr...

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, I have only found one pangram. Looking back, I think cathwen posted that there is only one today.  Hopefully that will curtail needless searching!

ciao_yall

Thanks. I haven't even hit Beta yet. Still in Gamma genius, which reminds one of Brave New World.

ab_grp

I got a few more words and am at 209, but still apparently two more to go.  Good luck!

cathwen

I've clawed my way to Alpha (202).  Six words, 20 points to go.  I don't see where they are hiding! 

ab_grp

Finally got to QB! Good luck, cathwen.  I don't think any are unfamiliar, though that does not mean they are always easy to spot! Of course my final word was 8 letters.