News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Maybe the yoga will help loosen your mind. :-) Good luck!

I got to QB, but I will consider it partial.  We compared # words by letter, he caught up to me and then got QB.  I knew the starting letter but had to get a hint.  Should have found the word but, I am completely tired. 

Thought I had a 2fer, but b4ss issue.  I'll keep at it now and again.

ciao_yall

Okay, someone give me a hint for a weird word. I would like to achieve "genius" without going to the Wordplay column.

Langue_doc

Base of your fingernail? Part of speech?

ab_grp

I'll send a PM with some ideas other than the word Langue_doc is hinting at.

I feel a bit more alert now.  I think it was the slider and fries comfort food for a late lunch.  Still no 2fer, but I did finish the sudokus and was working on an old one when my computer decided to freeze and need to be rebooted.

Langue_doc

Those are two words, folks.

ciao_yall

Woohoo! Between ab_grp and langue_doc I achieved genius.

I don't think I have the official 2fer but it's after 8 PM Eastern if anyone wants a hint.

grows annoyed

ab_grp

Sorry Langue_doc! I told you my brain is having an issue, and now you have proof.   I seriously just saw the first part of your hint and not the second sentence.  Egad! Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone.

Thanks for the LB hint, ciao_yall.  I'll work on it on breaks later.  I'm glad the hints helped!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Almost genius with one pangram.

LB: longboat/treasury.

ab_grp, getting the shot is stressful, as the long-term effects are still unknown. Also, not knowing how people would behave and whether or not there would be bathrooms is equally stressful. I have to get into bed as soon as I get home from my weekly grocery store trips because I'm so anxious when I'm in the store, and with good reason.

Happy solving!

ETA: Genius!

cathwen

Good morning! 

I sailed into Beta this morning in SB, but LB has me flummoxed.  No solution yet.  I have one very good word, but can't twist the remaining letters into anything sensible.

Yesterday I had the same answer as Langue_doc for LB:  longboat-treasury. For SB yesterday, I missed lunula, ulna, ulnar, and nonpolar.

Back to the puzzles!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Thanks for the kind words, Langue_doc! I'm glad (but also sorry) that I'm not alone in some of these stresses.    It didn't help that although I had filled out the required medical form online the morning of, we were still handed clipboards to fill out with the same (plus more) info, having to look stuff up while standing and moving forward once in a while, and I could barely see the small print.  Getting older is no fun. :-(  As my dad would have said, it beats the alternative! Hope your birding outing went well!

Got to Alpha today (194) but stuck for now.  I believe that I have two pangrams.

Despite ciao_yall's hint, I couldn't figure out LB.  I thought maybe surly was the second word (annoyed), but I couldn't figure out something for grows.  I came up with abnegates but couldn't get anywhere from there.  My only other contender was gluteus.  Congrats on your 2fers, and a different one than the schmofficial one.  Interested to hear what ciao_yall came up with.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

SB - I thought I tried variations of annular but it never took. Oh well. Missed a number of easy ones yesterday.

LB - burgeons-salty. Uses fewer letters than the official solution.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Yay, I got a 2fer!!

Ciao_yall, that's a good solution! One of the things I was mulling over while I was awake in the middle of the night was whether I had counted wrong when I gave you that A hint of 7 letters.  I was going over all the words and forgot about annular.  Whew.

cathwen

Congratulations on your 2fer, ab-grp!  I just found one, too.  I had a much harder time than usual.

Ciao_yall, congratulations on your 2fer yesterday! 

For SB, I'm at Alpha, stuck at 192 points.  I have both pangrams.  I need 14 points and 3 words to get to QB.  Argh!

ab_grp

Congrats, cathwen! Maybe we have the same solution.  My first word left very few letters, but it took a minute to see what the mate could be.  And good luck on the bee! I think I have two words and 12 points left.  May the QB juju flow!

Parasaurolophus

Got to beta with two pangrams in the night, although I was pretty cozy while I was doing it.
I know it's a genus.