News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Got to QB! And finished all the sudokus.  I think this might be the first time I have managed to solve all of the day's puzzles. 

Congrats, Parasaurolophus! And it's great that you were pretty cozy while accomplishing that!

Parasaurolophus

Ha! I meant 'dozy', but cozy is true too.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Wow!  Congratulations on QB, ab_grp.  I am still stuck at Alpha.

And congratulations to you, too, cozy and dozy  Parasaurolophus! 

ab_grp

Good luck, cathwen! It took me a while to get the final few words.  I don't think there were any unfamiliar ones, though.

And that's even more of an accomplishment if your were dozy, Parasaurolophus!

ciao_yall

Genius, 2 pangrams.

LB - lots of 3fers. Oddly enough it's the "S" that leaves me hanging.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Am I really the first one here? Got to genius so far (165?) with one pangram, but it's a slow going today, though the crossword took some time. 

For the LB yesterday, I got WONDERFUL-LYNXES. 

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning, everyone! 

Ab_grp,  I got the same words for LB.  I'm wondering if there were other combinations.

I have found a 2fer for today's LB.

I'm at genius on SB today at 148 points, with the pangram.   Yesterday I missed three words (baaing, baht, binning), so did not make QB, in spite of your wishes for good luck!  But I was happy enough at Alpha.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB: missed baba and bight which is a new word I will try to use today.

LB: I was stuck on wonderful-luxury-yes, and various 3fer combinations with the word reflux before I gave up and went to the online solver. Gah. It was the only one the online solver came up with, cathwen so I think it was the only solution.

On to today's - happy solving!

Langue_doc

baht! baaing!? What will they think of next, all the while banning proper English words that they think are obscure?

Above genius with one pangram.

I seem to have made some wrong links on Vertex. They can usually be erased, but today they are permanently set on the kindle. I don't have the energy to reset the puzzle and start all over again. Also, today's the only day when the crossword hasn't even been looked at. Considering that the next one will open at 6 PM, I have to get cracking on today's puzzle.

ab_grp, your experience at the vaccination place sounds exhausting. How do they expect the elderly who are using canes or walkers to fill out the forms while standing in line?

Happy solving. It's another nice day--too nice to stay indoors.

ab_grp

Baaing was my final word.  And I had to help husband get that one.  I agree, too many words not accepted to accept some that they do.  There are a couple again today that I think should be in there but aren't.  Grrr.

I have inched up a little but am still not at Alpha (180).  What the heck! I took a look at Ezersky's twitter feed to see if I missed that this is some crazy sort of puzzle, but I didn't see anything about that.  Rex P. was not happy with the crossword (surprise), but I thought it was ok. 

Langue_doc, I agree that this is a real issue for accessibility.  They do ask us on the DOH site if we have mobility issues, so I wonder if those who say they do get different appointment sites.  They do have some drive-throughs, but I have heard that you have to be the driver.  I'm sure there is more to the story.  But there were no seating areas at my site.  And no one waited the 15 minutes before leaving, which I also thought was a little odd.  They didn't even tell us to do so.  I got the notification that my 15-minute wait time was up when I was at the bank.  I also wonder that husband's site had National guard, medical/ambulance, etc. and no such thing at the pharmacy, so I'm not sure what the reasoning is for how they're rolling some of this out.  I've also wondered how they assist folks who are not native speakers, as we have many, many here who are not (plus may be elderly, etc.)

Cathwen, I think what you said about the LB yesterday helped me get the 2fer, so thanks! I figured we might have the same one.  And congrats on getting one today! I have no contenders yet but am still struggling with the hard sudoku.  What a difference a day or different puzzles makes.  Sorry the QB wishes didn't help, but Alpha is great!

ciao_yall

At genius plus a 2fer, b4ss. Husband started the NYT crossword so now I'll finish it.

Agree ab_grp. Would like to have used lotte and elote.

cathwen

Ciao_yall, congratulations on genius!  And that 2fer will happen.  You're so close!

I've also just reached 180 on SB, and don't see where to go from here. Apparently I have 31 points and 7 words to go.  Ugh!  And apparently there's only one pangram.

Ab_grp, your experience getting your vaccine sounded disorganized and difficult, especially for those with mobility problems.  Experiences where I live seem to be mixed.  I thought the local health department, where I got my shot, was quite well organized (no long lines; chairs in the waiting room; careful monitoring for 15 minutes afterwards), but I've heard that the CVS--at least when it first started offering the vaccine--was a nightmare.  I guess there is little guidance on protocols. 

Now to have a crack at the crossword!

ab_grp

Cathwen, sounds like you and I are around the same bee spot.  I just got one more word, so now 186, still not Alpha, and 5 more words to go.  I am really stumped! Good luck! And I hope that our dose group's slightly later appointment time for the second dose will mean things are more sorted out by the time we arrive, but there will also be more people there, so who knows.

I hope you get your 2fer, ciao_yall!

Langue_doc

Haven't made much progress since morning--don't think I'm going to get much further. Grading calls.

ab_grp, not having any seating is outrageous. Hope you have a better experience when you get your second shot. While I have strong feelings about conglomerates, I have to acknowledge how efficient the hospital conglomerate that took over my PCP's practice has been during both my appointments. There was no wait; as soon as we punched in our names and probably the dob on the screens in the reception area, we were ushered into the vaccination room which had around 6 little cubicles. The vaccination was prompt--no longer than 5 minutes, and then we were asked to wait in a large hall just off the vaccination area. I was early for both appointments but was promptly told to enter my information on the screen. The hospital presumably had all the necessary information from the PCP's office. Even so, I was amazed at how effortless the procedure was.

Congrats to all who have victories to report.

ab_grp

Ugh, sorry you have a pile of grading to do, Langue_doc! I hope you were able to get outside in the nice weather for a bit.  And it sounds like your appointment site was also very well run, which helps with the anxiety portion.  I'll report back on dose two.

No real victory here, although I managed to squeeze just over into Alpha (192).  Still three words left, apparently.  Holy cow! I'm pretty ready to concede defeat to this puzzle.  Gotta try LB again and start on new sudokus, too.