News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Congratulations on your 2fer, Langue_doc, and on QB, ab_grp!

I am two words short of QB.  Even with Shunn's help, knowing the first two letters and the length, I am having trouble finding them.  Argh!

Langue_doc

According to nytbee.com, "Today's score of 295 was in the 95th percentile of all puzzles. The last time there was a score this high was on May 28, 2021." So hang in there, cathwen.

I think I need two or three more words for QB. I've been pleasantly distracted by planning trips so haven't looked at the bee all afternoon or the crosswords for a week.

Congrats on QB, ab_grp!

ab_grp

Good luck, cathwen and Langue_doc! Some of the words husband had as final ones were the same as mine, so I hope they aren't tripping you up.  It's frustrating when all of what Shunn can offer still doesn't make it so easy to figure them out.  Sending juju!

And have fun planning your trips, Langue_doc! After so long, that must be a great feeling and very enjoyable activity.

ciao_yall

Okay. 2fer. Finally had to go to shunn to schlep to genius, still no pangram. Just needed reminders of a few easy words.

cathwen

Good morning!

I didn't make it to QB yesterday—I missed gavage and geotag.  I vaguely remember both of them from previous puzzles.  Maybe next time... 

Today I'm at Alpha.  Maybe I'll get there, but those last words are stubbornly refusing to unscramble before my eyes!

For LB yesterday, I got the "official" solution:  birthday-young.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Congratulations on your 2fer, ciao_yall! 

And happy puzzling to everyone!  If you're in the Northeast, I hope that the relentless rain isn't wrecking plans.  We didn't have any specific plans—but we'll probably go visit some brew pubs, or maybe some wineries (for which this state is justifiably not renowned) just to get out of the house and drive around.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Last words were gavotte and late; I had to double-check the four-letter words on my computer to find the last word which I thought I had found earlier. Thanks for the bee juju, ab_grp.

Pangram, genius, and a measly 19 words today.

birthday/young

Much to my surprise, found a two-fer on my second attempt. I'm still in shock.

Enjoy your imbibing outings, cathwen.

Happy solving, all!

Parasaurolophus

Fell 10 short of genius yesterday, but looking at the words I had left, I doubt I would have made it in the end. Today is much more promising.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

SB - Didn't miss that many, did I? It was a slog, though. Parasaurolophus I finally went to shunn to hit Genius, mainly because I was just tired. ETA: Critique on today's - so far not a lot of diversity in the starting letters, but I'm just tipped into Genius today so maybe I'll discover a whole patch of words that start with Y.

LB - birthday-young as well. Langue_doc, love those quick 2fers! ETA: Got one as well!

Hoping for a more productive day today.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! Glad if the juju helped.  My final ones were gotta and geotag, and husband had trouble with those as well.  The latter was kind of tough even with Shunn's help. 

I just have one word to QB, but I can't seem to find it right now.  Hopefully I'll have more luck later.  The crossword took a while as usual.  And it took me a while to find the pangram despite stuff.   Parasaurolophus, I don't think there were any obscure words today like yesterday, but maybe the last one is.  Good luck!

My LB was unbirthday-yogi.  I had thought birthday might work but didn't immediately see a mate so just tried it with the prefix.  According to Twitter, Sam's birthday might have been yesterday, so I guess the schmofficial solution was timely! Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen, Langue_doc, and ciao_yall!

Enjoy your outings, cathwen! Sounds like a good way to make the most of it.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Guess I'm too late to modify, but I did make it to QB, and the final word was one I should have gotten a lot earlier.  No need to look at Shunn today, luckily!

Bunch of contenders for LB, some of which seem pretty good, so I'll try again on that after hard sudoku.

ETA: never mind, one second later I got a 2fer.  Not sure it's the schmofficial solution, but it worked!

cathwen

Congratulations on QB, ab_grp, and also on LB—also ciao_yall and Langue_doc.  Parasaurolophus, I hope you're finding today more promising!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, seeing what everyone got on LB!

Just made QB, with a small peek at Shunn for a hint for the last word—something I should have figured out on my own. 

Our outing to the breweries (we went to two) taught me (actually, re-taught me) one thing:  I have a very low capacity for beer, as much as I like it.  Nevertheless, it was a good rainy day activity.

Langue_doc

QB here too; all easy words to make up for yesterday's slog.

Glad to hear that you had a good outing, cathwen. Congrats on all the twofers and QBs.

Spent the last couple of hours chatting with a friend--didn't realize that we had been talking so long until friend mentioned that we had been on the phone for two hours.

Have an interesting beer story from the weekend, but am not posting here for fear of outing myself.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QBs, cathwen and Langue_doc!

I was reading the Wordplay blog comments just now to see if there were any more interesting layers to today's puzzle that I missed (not really) and happened to see that someone posted a full answer for LB.  I think the posts usually take the form of "[initial letter of first word]-[initial letter of second word]", as I saw a post above it that did so and seemed to match the full solution posted.  In any case, it is definitely not near my LB 2fer, so I guess there are multiple solutions! I may try with some others at some point if I have time just for practice (and because I hate to let go of good contenders).

Glad you enjoyed your outing, cathwen! My ex and I used to walk to a beer festival in our little town, and though (or because?) I am not a huge beer drinker, I overcommitted there a few times.  Not to any bad point, but they tend to have a lot stronger beers to try.  Good to be able to walk there and back (usually a little more circuitously on the way back). 

Langue_doc, that is quite a tease! Glad you had a good long chat with your friend.  It's nice when the time goes by without you noticing.

Parasaurolophus

Geniuses easily, but am stuck pangramless in Beta.

Edit: Oh, wait. I got the pangram early on, actually!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Curses, I was two short of QB! I could have made it! Oh well.

This morning's puzzle is fairly easy. So far, at least.
I know it's a genus.