News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - yesterday last word was fugu - I had heard of it, but didn't make the connection until I saw the hint on Wordplay. This morning, so far, genius but no pangram.

LB - broch-humanitarians. Turns out a broch is a thing. I had a few fun 3fers as well thumb-brainiac-cost, coirs-subhuman-not, actors-shim-manbun, bushtit-tarmac-con. So far, no 3fer yet.

Hiking today with a group so not sure how much more puzzle progress will be made. I did the Saturday crossword last night.

Happy Saturday!

Parasaurolophus

I never would have found fugu.

Got to genius and a pangram today. The pangram is tricky, but probably not for all you masters!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We each got to QB with a little help from Shunn for the final word first letter.  The pangram was tough for both of us today, and I didn't care for it much.  fugu was tough yesterday, but I think I remembered it from a Simpson's episode.  Hurrah, Parasaurolophus! I had a similar issue with words not being accepted the other day. 

Got 3 LBs yesterday: hair-rambunctious (the latter used up everything but H so was helpful in finding a mate!), coronations-subhuman, and unambitious-starch.  So far, we've all gotten different solutions, and none the schmofficial one!

Service guy finally arrived back around 8 and was done around 11.  Whew.  I slept way better and am so thankful!! Also thankful that husband recognized that the part in Major City was wrong (I thought it was the salesguy, but husband was the hero of the day all around!) and searched out the correct part.  Otherwise, we would have been out of luck until Monday.   Looking forward to a cooler and more relaxing and productive day.

Langue_doc, I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy the area more, but it's great that you were able to pick up lunch from a favorite place! And I'm so glad to hear that your eye is doing well.  I definitely should get mine tested (and do other doctor appts).  Still a little wary of being in other buildings, and I don't relish finding new doctors or the drive out to the other side of the city. :-(

Enjoy your hike, ciao_yall!  Today's crossword north section was tough and took me more time than I would have liked this morning.  Glad you got it out of the way last night.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon/evening!

Parasaurolophus, I never would have gotten fugu if not for some dumb luck with letter-shuffling.  My husband had heard the word before, but I had not.  I always seem to trip up on exotic fish!

Congratulations on QB, ab_grp!  And I'm glad that the A/C is fixed and you are now comfortable again.

I got to QB today with a little nudge from Shunn, but I have not figured out a 2fer for LB yet!  And probably won't. 

Yesterday I had monarchs-substation.  I wish I had seen rambunctious!  I like that word.

Now for the crossword!  I'll look out for that north section.

ab_grp

Congrats on QB, and good luck with the crossword, cathwen! Husband and I both had a tough time with the north, but you may not! Thanks for the kind thoughts about our cooler household.  And congrats on yet another different LB solution yesterday!

I have a couple LB contenders but have not had any luck yet arriving at a solution.

But I did get all of today's and tomorrow's sudokus done! More time to do other things tomorrow (until the next round comes out!). 

ciao_yall

Hit QB with a tiny nudge from Shunn. I was at QB-1, figured out I was missing a C-7 and voila!

After flailing around and limited success and variations on only 1 3fer, I hit the LB site. Small hint and boom, 2fer. There was only one solution on the site so not surprising y'all are having a tough time.

cathwen

Good morning!

I cannot believe that I missed baptize on LB yesterday.  I even had economy!  Argh!  But, I did find a 2fer this morning.

Ciao_yall, congrats on both QB and LB!

Today I am at Beta with both pangrams.  But QB seems doubtful.  I bet there is at least one exotic fish I've never heard of in there somewhere!

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

It didn't accept warcry yesterday, which is definitely a single word. And a word.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB: caraway was the last word to QB, just needed a nudge from Shunn. Woohoo! Let's hope my mental list of bee specials starts building up. Cracky? Kart? Ratatat? Really?

LB: As soon as I saw b-a-p on the solver site the solution came pretty quickly. I had found monetize - for some reason I didn't think of baptize, maybe because in my brain it's spelled baptise? 3fer was benzoic-company-yet and at one point I had maize-ebony which I couldn't make a 3fer out of.

Lots of puzzles for today, but first, coffee!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

We got to team QB today.  Husband made it there himself but had to give me the first letter of the final word.  Tough one with the U in the middle and no N.  I had a 6-letter word as final yesterday and was hoping it was warcry, but no.  I agree that I think it should have been accepted.  Congrats on your QB yesterday, ciao_yall! And keep at today's cathwen! I don't think there were any very tough words, but it is short and not too sweet in my opinion.

No luck on LB yesterday.  I had monetize as well and was hoping company or tympanic might get me somewhere.  They did not.  Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen! Hopefully I can find one.

Crossword was long as usual and a little tricky, but not too bad.  And I'm done sudokus, so I guess I will try for LB and get some Duo in.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Genius with 2 pangrams and a few 3fers.

ab_grp, any bee specials in there? Deciding how long before I hit Shunn.

cathwen crushing it as usual!

Parasaurolophus yeah, strange definitions of what is considered a compound. Trackway? Okay, there then.

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, there are a couple words that have been in the bee more than once that are not what I would consider common words to use in real life, but they aren't the bee words that I think of as really difficult.  Of course, YMMV.  Other words are not ones I would necessarily think of with regard to what I would consider to be the main pattern of the puzzle, but if you play around with the few degrees of freedom you have, you could probably stumble upon them if they don't pop right out.  But I didn't think it was a super-easy puzzle or that Shunn should be avoided if you get stuck, because this letter arrangement can make it hard to identify all the words.  Also, trackway was terrible.

But I got a 2fer! Not with the contender(s) I thought I might get it with, so I might try for another at some point.

ciao_yall

QB and 2fer!

Maybe I went to Shunn and the Wordplay blog a little too soon. Still, there was one word I might not have guessed without a definition.

Still stuck on one line of yesterday's WSJ labyrinth puzzle.

Waiting for husband to start the NYT crossword so I can finish it.

cathwen

QB, with a little help from Shunn.  Congratulations, ciao_yall and ab_grp on your QBs!

I agree about warcry from yesterday.  I tried it, and was amazed when it was rejected.  It is a much better word (=more normal) than trackway

ab_grp

Yay! Congrats on your QBs, ciao_yall and cathwen!