News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Evening!

QB yesterday, last word cracky,  which I found by indiscriminately attaching the y to words.

Need one more word today, but that's it. Wouldn't take the feminine counterpart of one of the words.

Crosswords are done. Got stuck on s misspelling in yesterday's, so didn't complete it until this afternoon.

Too lazy to get on the computer, hence my not engaging with today's posts, and using telegraphIc style.

ab_grp

Good evening, Langue_doc! Congrats on your QB yesterday, and good luck with your final word.  I don't think it took the feminine counterpart previously, either, though I also tried it.  You deserve to be as lazy as you want to be.  Not a huge fan of cracky.  I think that might have been my final word, too? Maybe penultimate.  For some reason, we could not find tartar until getting some help from Shunn, and husband found it first.  We always get that word! Probably the pangram being so unruly threw us off.

Your post reminded me that husband and I each found out that our streaks were a lot shorter than we had thought! We had each apparently left one puzzle not totally solved (mine in April, his in May, neither the hospital day), despite us solving together each morning.  So that has taken some of the crossword streak pressure off.   It also reminded me that I misspelled "misspelled" or similar in a recent puzzle.  Wowza.

Parasaurolophus

Made it to beta, but I have another complaint to air tomorrow. If I can remember it.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - last word was tutti which I got from the Wordplay blog, and I dunno, maybe I gave up too fast? This morning at Amazing with pangram, already crabby about a word it wouldn't take. Parasaurolophus maybe it's the same word?

LB - foundational-lymph which was official. Already some 3fers and a word that ate up a lot of letters but can't seem to find a mate.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

My last SB word was tuttedTutti was a late one.  Then I thought of Cosí Fan Tutte, and tried the feminine form tutte, but of course that was rejected.

Parasaurolophus, I'm curious about your complaint!  And congratulations for making it to Beta!

Yesterday's LB was calcification-nymph.  I found a 2fer this morning, too.

Today's SB is at genius with one of the pangrams—there are two!  And I foresee Shunn in my future.  But I'll hang in there for a little while longer before seeking his help.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

duetted???!!! Who on earth says "I duetted with so-and-so." or "They're going to duet soon."? I thought dudette would be more familiar than duetted.

Pangram and genius so far.

ab_grp, as for tartar, very often I find that words that I had typed on one of the devices fail to show up on the other, so if I usually double-check the entries on the computer just to make sure that they've all been properly entered. Recently the last word was port, which I knew I had entered earlier in the day.

Happy solving, all!

ETA cathwen, we must have posted almost simultaneously. Thanks for the info about the second pangram.

cathwen

Yes!  Duetted!  I was perplexed by that one, too.  I don't know what possessed me to even try it.  No one uses duet as a verb.

ciao_yall

Genius with both pangrams. Still a ways away from QB. Yesterday I think I gave up a bit too early, but today it's such a long one!

2fer. Came to me in a flash while in yoga class and I couldn't wait to get the phone out and try it. Whee!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have two more words left until QB today, but husband is heading in, and we haven't compared first letters or gone to Shunn yet.  I will hold off on it while he's at work and will try to find the final words later (unless they just come to me).  I guess I won't say what my final word was yesterday, as I think it's in there today.  duetted was a tough one, and I really don't see why they still don't accept dudette.

And I got the same LB solution as cathwen yesterday, so I hope that means good luck today.  Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Langue_doc, I usually just use one device, so I have no excuse. ;-)  Husband's app on Android has changed recently so that it appears like it does on the web, making it a bit harder for him to keep track of his list or count words.  Not sure why that happened.

Did anyone who did the crossword today enjoy it? I thought it was kind of clever, but some of the theme entries didn't make a lot of sense to me.  And it seemed more difficult to solve quickly than a typical Monday.  I did like the after-effect yesterday!

I ended up having time to get easy and medium sudokus done last night, so "just" the hard one to work on today.

Happy solving!

cathwen

I'm at QB-2, and really stuck, even with Shunn.  More exotic fish, maybe?  Previous puzzles have show me me that I need to increase my ichthyological knowledge.

Ab_grp, good luck finding your final two!  As for the sudokus, I thought the medium and the hard ones were both harder than usual.  Perhaps I was not sufficiently caffeinated, but it took me a good bit longer than usual to solve them.  So good luck on those!

Ciao_yall, isn't it funny how words just float into your head at odd moments?  Congrats on your 2fer!  And good luck with SB!  It took me a while to find the second pangram.

ciao_yall

cathwen I have been known to look at lists of fish, birds, flowers, anything to see if I can trigger another word find.

Haven't done that yet today but maybe I will before hitting Shunn.

ab_grp

I wonder if we're missing the same words, cathwen? Good luck! I definitely stink at remembering birds and fish (and flora), so maybe my remaining words are in those categories.  And thanks for the heads up about the sudokus.  I don't remember how long medium took me last night, but hard is kicking my butt, so I will keep at it, I guess!

Kind of curious to find out which pangram folks got first or struggled with.  Mine did not come back to back, and I think husband said he found them in the same order I did.

I have a couple contenders, but no luck so far on LB.

ciao_yall

Picked up a few more on Shunn but still 5 short. So to Wordplay blog it is... still short one, and it's a bird. I know the first 2 letters. Anyone want to send me a hint? I don't want to say more in case it's a spoiler for someone else.

Got it! I went through my old-school book dictionary, word by word. Who says they aren't useful?

Okay, QB WATHICG, the streak continues. And I learned a new word.

ab_grp

Congrats, ciao_yall! Sounds like there are some tough ones in there. 

No progress for us yet, but husband is finally home, so once he is done with work emails and calling to try to get the same A/C part for our other unit (which made a scary sound yesterday), hopefully we will make some more progress.  Guessing we will be Shunning.

I did get a 2fer, finally, after a load of contenders!

And managed to finish hard sudoku with the help of a hint.  I had been missing something sort of obvious but just not thinking about it the right way.  Hopefully tomorrow's will be cleaner.

Langue_doc

There was a bird word, but I stopped after getting several points past 300 so I wouldn't have any information about more bird or fish words.

ab_grp, I think I can guess what your last word was yesterday. As for the pangrams, I found the noun first, early on, and the adjective soon after I knew I had to look for a second one.

Got a two-fer, so I'm not pursuing the bee. I think I'm puzzled out until 10 when the crosswords are out. Speaking of crosswords, I solved yesterday's (or is it today's?) last night without much effort even though I didn't quite understand the theme or the theme words. The cross-listings helped with finding the theme words.