News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc! It was quite a bit of drudgery.  And I'm glad you are on the right side of hoagy as well.  I also keep trying yoyo.  I think at some point it might be deemed acceptable, so better keep trying just in case.

ciao_yall

QB - 2, WATHICG and I am tired. Missing FI- and IN-. Definitions didn't make sense. I'm over it.

Parasaurolophus

397 points and still 7 words shy of QB.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius with two pangrams. That's probably it for today.

The only hoagy I'm familiar with is Hoagy Carmichael. I can't think of anyone referring to the sandwich as hoagy instead of hoagie.

project/titanium

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - last two words were fiend (gah) and indigene (what?) So, no QB yesterday.

LB - jumper-reaction.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB-1 with one 4L word to go.  This should be easy to find, but so far, it is not!  .  QBABM!  Hurray!

Surprisingly, indigene (tried in desperation) and yenning (ditto) were not my last two words yesterday.  My last words were egging and inning, words I've gotten before!  Argh.

LB:  I had jamjar-recomputation.  Unsurprisingly, this was not the "official" solution!  I was surprised that jamjar was accepted as a single word.  Langue_doc and ciao_yall, your solutions are much neater.

I have found a 2fer today which is much more normal.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I still have 3 words to QB, husband has 2, and two from each have the same number of letters.  So, not sure if we have team QB.  Did get to GN4L and Alpha, at least, but I fear we might be heading Shunn's way next break.  Indigene was our final word yesterday.  Just finally guessed it but probably wouldn't have without Shunn.

Congrats on your QBABY, cathwen!!

For LB, I had jumper-romantic.  I guess none of us had the schmofficial one! ? Congrats on already getting one today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Am 6 or 7 points short of QBABM and really don't want to check the grid to see if it's one word or more. Hoping it pops out at me later today.

Quick 2fer this morning.

ab_grp

Good luck, ciao_yall, and congrats on the 2fer!

We ended up comparing and asking Shunn for some help for our final words.  Should have gotten two out of three, but too much to get done today.

Also have a couple good contenders in LB, but no luck yet.

onthefringe

Another non-schmofficial 2fer of amputator-rejection. But no luck today.

ab_grp

That's a good one, onthefringe!

Finally got a 2fer after looking at my contenders-remainders list and realizing I just had to make a minor adjustment to get a match.  Argh.

Parasaurolophus

Easy genius for me today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB yesterday, but it did not "bring me joy" per Marie Kondo. Some puzzles are just blah.

Amazing today, no pangrams yet.

Easy two-fer, much to my surprise.

forgive/enjoyment; found the latter first, but took me forever to find an e-final word.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on yesterday's geniuses, QBs, and 2fers!

Today I am at Beta with both pangrams.  It's another sloggy one today.  I foresee Shunn in my future.

As for yesterday, meze was my last word, tried in desperation by combining letters just for the heck of it.  I did not realize that it was an alternative spelling for mezze

LB:  Like Langue_doc, I had the schmofficial forgive-enjoyment.  I wonder if we'll have any variety?  It was fun to read all the different solutions for Saturday's LB!   I have found a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Last two words with help from Shunn were mezzo, meze. Both kind of wild guesses when I saw I was missing 2 me words.

LB - forgive-enjoyment. Found enjoyment first.

Happy solving and happy Monday!