News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Agreed cathwen on today's being a schlep. Amazing with 2 pangrams and a ways go go, but time for a shower.

Got a quick but strange 2fer though.

onthefringe

no 2fr yesterday, but a surprisingly quick one today.

Happy Monday puzzling to everyone.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to GN4L but only have one pangram so far.  Husband has both.  We are a little behind, having had to get daughter out the door for an ortho consult (but I am also just stuck right now).  Meze was also my final word yesterday, and I don't think I would have gotten it without Shunn and playing around with combos after that.

I got the same LB solution.  Had forgiven and similar for a while, then saw what looked like enjoyment with remaining letters, and voila.  Congrats on the 2fers today! I hope to join you!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

One point away from GN4L.

One. Bloody. Point.

Hoping this post breaks the spell, like when your car stops making that weird noise when you get to the mechanic.

Langue_doc

Good trip to the donation center. It was a long drive, but got there in less than an hour. I could park in front, unlike the locations in the city. On the way back, stopped at Home Depot, where I was distracted by 25-30 sparrows flying around in one of the aisles, quite at home.

Got both pangrams so might persevere.

ab_grp

Had to hit Shunn for the final two words.  One I got, and the other was a struggle.  Good luck, ciao_yall and Langue_doc!

Also got a 2fer!

And Langue_doc, great to hear that you had a successful trip to make your donations and got to be in the presence of happy sparrows enjoying Home Depot.

We had exciting news from the orthodontics consult, as apparently they went ahead and put daughter's braces on this morning! She still has to have 4 impacted wisdom teeth out on Thursday, so her mouth is not going to feel great this week.  Not sure what we will have for dinner.  I was a little surprised that they recommended she buy some sugar-free gum to chew (I guess to work out mouth pain)? We were so not allowed to chew gum when I had braces.  I had nightmares about accidentally chewing a piece!

ciao_yall

Finally hit the Wordplay blog - achieved GN4L but ran out of time to hit QBABM, though they were all familiar words I should have gotten. Some I thought I had... guess that's the problem with long ones.

Parasaurolophus

No joy today, I'm afraid.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB yesterday; found the "foreign" and suffix-ending words early on. It was the run-of-the-mill words that were a slog. Last word was natal.

Past genius today. Saw the pangram right away.

quivers/shacked

ab_grp, is daughter getting both sides of mouth anesthetized at the same time? I had each side done separately. I remember having had a long discussion with the dentist prior to the extraction insisting on two separate appointments only to have him ask me as I was still groggy from the first extraction if he could do the other side. I nodded an emphatic no--couldn't talk.
Good luck with the extraction and the eating/talking afterwards.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

In a reversal of my usual pattern, I got a quick QBABM this morning, but no 2fer as yet.

Yesterday I got to QB, but with help from Shunn on the last few words.  Tahini, lantana, and titillation were my last three words.

LB:  quicker-ravished

Langue_doc, I'm glad your trip to Goodwill was uneventful.  When we lived in NYC, I found the logistics of getting rid of stuff to be difficult.  Driving to a place with a parking lot was a good plan.

Ab_grp, that's great news about your daughter's braces!  Thursday will not be fun, though.  I hope it all goes well.

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - with help, but all words I should have gotten. I think my mental max is about 50 words.

LB - quivers-shacked.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I am stuck at one word from QB but did get to GN4L and Alpha.  Husband got to QBABH, so I will keep trying for a while! I think my last words yesterday were lanolin, notional.  Congrats on your QBABY today, cathwen!

And I got the same LB solution as cathwen yesterday.

Thanks for the good wishes for daughter's surgery.  Langue_doc, a groggy state is definitely not the best time to be asking questions or making decisions! She will have general anesthesia (which I also had), so they'll just yank them all out at that point.  She is a wonderful child but gets a little distracted at times, so I have been worrying about whether she will be able to remember not to drink or eat anything after midnight tomorrow, though we'll be taking every precaution we can! She is planning to possibly go to the homecoming dance with her boyfriend on Saturday, but I think that is optimistic.  Hopefully she'll do what she's supposed to do and everything will go smoothly.  Braces were not too bad last night aside from some scratching here and there (thankful for wax!), and she managed pasta fine.  This morning she's a bit sore, so we have to see if she's allowed Tylenol or anything prior to the appt Thurs.  She was pretty excited about the little swag kit they gave her with a smiley toothbrush case.  It's the little things, I guess!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

22 words but no QB screen? I protest!

3fers, no 2fer yet.

cathwen

Finally found a 2fer!

Ab_grp, the general anesthesia is a good decision.  Here's hoping she can get to the homecoming dance! 

Both Oldest and Youngest Daughters had wisdom tooth extractions and braces, but Middle Daughter was lucky.  Not only did she not need braces (she has a slight overbite, but her teeth are straight), but she also did not need to have her wisdom teeth removed! 

Ciao_yall, we know you are QB!  No Bee screen?  You was robbed! 

Parasaurolophus

Genius and 19 words. On to LB.
I know it's a genus.