News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Langue-doc, I also had a laugh when I saw that word in the crossword!  It's the only context in which that spelling is legitimate.

I got to QB, but with some help from Shunn. 

Congratulations on QB, ciao-yall!

Students in my online class are now doing the "Introduce Yourself" discussion board.  Such an interesting group!  And the diversity is amazing.  They're from all over—we could have our own little United Nations.  Not only that, but there is a lot of expressed enthusiasm for the subject matter.  Let's hope that continues!  I'm on a Day 1 high. 

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Missed demimonde. Pangram and above genius today.

adopts/squinch; couldn't find mates for adoptions or quotations (I think these were the words--didn't write them down).

Just canceled a medical appointment because I didn't want to deal with the subways today.

cathwen, sounds like you're going to have an interesting semester. A year ago I had students from the West Coast, one of the southmost states and Europe in my class.

Happy solving, all.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Should have gotten mizzen on my own, plus a few others.

LB - with some help got adopts-squinch which I didn't know was a word. Schmoffficial solution - gah, those compounds always get me! 3fers abounded - here is a sample: pods-squint-tach, shop-panda-acquit, scads-squish-hotpants, quips-scotch-hand, cops-squish-handstand, hand-squish-hopscotch, chop-piquant-tads.

Woke up in the middle of the night and made some progress.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I am at genius with the pangram.  Yesterday my last word was nominee.  Another -ee word!  But I should have seen it sooner.

LB:  daphnia-acquisition.  Daphnia was a wild guess, but I had a dim memory of having heard the word before.  Turns out it's a kind of plankton.  Ciao-yall, you certainly have a good variety of words in your 3fers!

I do not yet have a 2fer for today's LB, but I have a terrific word that leaves only three letters—and I can't make a word out of them!  Grrr!  I'll keep working on it. 

Langue_doc, from what I've seen on the news, you are wise to avoid the subways today!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have 4 more words to QB and did get GN4L but no Alpha yet.  Demimonde was my final word, and I only got it with hints from husband.  I guess there's some show or movie coming out with that name, and he had come across it in his newsfeed.  You never know what will help, I guess.

Had no luck on LB yesterday, though squints was my first attempt, so I guess I was on the right track.  Oh well.  Congrats on your 2fers yesterday.   Cathwen, good luck with your awesome word! Hope you find a mate for it!

The Hoagy Carmichael crossword clue/answer was also kind of funny because a couple days ago I kept hearing "Heart and Soul" in my head.  Maybe somewhere deep inside I knew it was his tune? I surely did not know it explicitly.  I wonder if that was after that bee day.  Maybe this will seal the connection in my head for good.

Cathwen, sounds like a very interesting class and very promising start to the semester! I hope it continues.

Langue_doc, I agree... seems like a good day to avoid the subways. 

We seem to have been successful in the no drinking/no eating after midnight, and the child will be in her oral surgery in a few minutes.  I don't think anyone slept super well (not as poorly as could have occurred), but whew! I feel like that is my accomplishment for the week and am giving myself a day of rest from taking on too many obligations.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, hope you're all back home and child isn't in too much pain or discomfort.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! Her surgery was pretty quick, and her mouth was pretty dry after, but she came through like a champ.  She has some shows queued up to take her mind off things.

We got to one and two words left and to Alpha so compared and figured out our final words.  Mine is one I had missed before.

No luck on LB yet.

ciao_yall

One word short of GN4L with pangram, and 3fers are piling up.

Close but no cigar...

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Last word yesterday was bomb, which I thought I had entered much earlier as I remember trying atombomb (two words, alas).

Genius with at least two pangrams. It was too early in the morning to see what I was typing.

Completed the crosswords last night.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

I made QB yesterday with help from Shunn on the last word—mahatma.. Today I am at genius with the two pangrams.  It looks like a sloggy one today!

I had no LB solution yesterday—blobfish?  I had harmonica, but blobfish just didn't pop out at me.  I do have a 2fer today, though.

Ab_grp, I hope that your daughter is doing well today!  It sounds as though she's a real trooper.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

One more point to go.

Blobfish indeed!  Even autocorrect is getting upset.

ETA Found it, so QB!

ETA2: twofer!

cathwen

Congratulations in QB, Langue_doc!  I am at QB-2 and struggling. 

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB-1 ABM, then finally relented to the Forum blog for...  mahatma? Whatever.

LB - what on earth is a blobfish? Even the solver site only had weird solutions. I did have a few 3fers barf-flacons-shim, fob-brainiacs-shalom.

Well, today is a new day. Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Familiar words all, cathwen.

Remembered to enter mahatma as I'd seen it in at least a couple of bees.

ciao_yall

I find going for GN4L helps. I can usually fill in the 4Ls later, but the longer words take a little more attention to find.