News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QB, with hints from the Forum. Odd words I should have remembered or guessed but hey, just makes the occasional ABM so much sweeter!

I'm feeling a little competitive now because we have a FB thread where people share their 2fer letter counts. The bare minimum is 13 total. I have a 15 which I'd normally be pretty happy with. But someone else has a 14 and now I'm feeling some pressure.

The theme at yoga was "letting go" and "gratitude" and I'm like... f*** that, you don't know the crowd I puzzle with.

Parasaurolophus

Didn't do so hot today, either. Oh well.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius.

conflated/dumb

I'll probably have to be out and about. Now that the weather is quite pleasant, it's time to be outdoors during weekends instead of staring at my electronic devices.

Crossword needs to be completed, so that's probably it for today's puzzles.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius and pangram this morning.  Yesterday my last words were imminent (which I had misspelled earlier) and eminent

For LB, I had bemoaned-defectual.  I was surprised that the second word was accepted.  I found a 2fer today, but normal words.

Letter counts for LB?  I just feel lucky to get any kind of solution!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - last words, with Forum hints, were mentee, nimbi. Met another Bee-er yesterday and introduced her to Shunn and Forum hints. She was horrified and fascinated at the same time.

LB - uncombed-deflate. My new friend didn't like LB, she said. I showed her my solution. Spelled out uncombed then walked her through finding the next letters until she said DEFLATE! Now I feel like I'm grooming a vicitim.

Anyway, happy solving!

cathwen

"Grooming a victim"—haha!  Love that, ciao_yall!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

One more word to QB today.  Argh.  It's a fairly short puzzle, and the pangram did pop out easily, but I don't think the other words are necessarily Scrabble words, so this probably isn't #1 on Sam's list.  I think bellmen was my final word yesterday.  Congrats on the QBs yesterday!

I had the same as Langue_doc for LB, conflated-dumb.  So I guess that is a fairly minimal number of letters.  Maybe if I ever get better at finding solutions regularly I'll try to up the challenge by counting letters.  Congrats on getting one today, cathwen!

There is supposedly a survey going around from NYT about the bee, but I haven't confirmed that it's legit yet, and it asks (optionally) for personal info at the end, so I haven't submitted it.  It mostly asks about playing habits and experiences with the game.

Enjoy the outdoors, Langue_doc! I will be digging into my computer trying to figure out what is going wrong with it for the foreseeable future.

Happy solving!

ETA: Got a 2fer on my first try!

ciao_yall

QB - 1 or 2 words. This tends to be when I run out of steam and hit Shunn.

LB - lots of 3fers. Some good words b4ss. So the 2fer is nigh.

monarda

Yesterday QB-1 with not too many hints.  minim was the missing word.

ciao_yall

QB - one new word.

LB - lots of contenders. Found a first word and Forum hints pointed to an (easy) second word that fit.

Parasaurolophus

Made it to genius, anyway.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and well above genius so far. Last word yesterday was unlevel, which was a new word for me. I'd seen the others (with the exception of julienne) in previous bees.

hawthorns/sporadic

Happy solving, all!

ETA: 8 points left, so I must have found both pangrams.

ETA2:  QB!

Langue_doc

Two-fer already. Crosswords and sudokus are done, subways are running on different routes, so it's a stay at home and clean house day.

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - guessed at unlevel, then had to look up venule so hey, new word.

LB - tropics-sandwich. Found tropics but didn't see sandwich until I got a hint. Kept seeing shadow, maybe because the ic was already taken!

Anyway, happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to QBABM this morning, but husband got there first again! I think julienne was my final word yesterday.  Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc!

My LB solution was the schmofficial one.  Guess I should have figured since it happened so quickly.  I like ciao_yall's solution better.  I wouldn't mind getting a sandwich in a tropic port! Congrats on already getting one today, Langue_doc! You are on a roll!

God the crossword done as well but need to get on sudokus and then probably more computer debugging.

Happy solving!