News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Didn't realize that there were two pangrams, but thanks to cathwen, found the second one.

That's it for puzzling today as there are assignments to grade, phone calls to make and receive, and get ready for an outing tomorrow.

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - GwP yesterday. boogalo?

LB - formalize-epoxy.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have 3 words to QB, and husband has 2.  Two of mine may be the same as his two based on length.  Neither of us are at Alpha.  We had boogaloo, tabla among our final ones yesterday.  Nytbee.com doesn't seem to be updating for me today.

I got the same 2fer as Langue_doc and cathwen.  Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen! Whatever it looks like!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

QB--it turned out that I needed only three more words.

ciao_yall

QBWG2LL. Probably could have gotten there on my own.

Two 2fer b4ss solutions and lots of 3fers.

Parasaurolophus

Blech. Just short of GWP.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

So close yesterday with the 2fer b4ss solutions!

nostrils-smacking
smolt-tracking
roam-stickling

And close but no cigar? arm-most-trickling and lots of contenders.

Well, today is a new day.

ab_grp

Good morning!

One more word to QB.  Hopefully it will come.  Yesterday I had trouble with ululate, luteal.

No luck on LB.  You were close, ciao_yall! Hopefully today will bring more luck.

Langue_doc, hope you are enjoying your outing!

I still have to figure out my crossword error and have a call with a pal this afternoon.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

My last word yesterday was luteal.  QB today, although with first-letter hints for the last two words (my usual impatience!).

LB:  I had monograms-stickling.   I have a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Woke up at 4, got the pangram, made it to above genius, then went back to sleep. I think I might have only 7 or 8 points left.

ransom/stickling--didn't think the latter was a word, but I'm not complaining.

ab_grp, I didn't make it to the outing which was limited to trip leaders and other volunteers because of the logistics involved. I had the choice of driving to the subway station and then taking two subways to the train station in Manhattan where I would board a train for the hour-long trip to one of the stations in Westchester. I could have also driven to one of the train stations in Westchester, and then backtracked to the train station where the group would be meeting, do the trip and the museums, and then take another train to the station where my car was parked. All this because you can park at some of the train stations and not at others. It would be a very long drive home as the traffic would be even heavier due to people doing their Christmas shopping. Pre-pandemic, we would be treated to dinner in a Manhattan restaurant. It's a group of people I enjoy interacting with, so I was sad to have to send my regrets this morning.

Hope you found the crossword clue--I liked this one but got temporarily stuck on the first part of  50A and 67A. The down clues helped so I eventually found the right solutions.

ETA Today's print edition of the NYT comes with a 12-page puzzle section.

ETA2 QB; familiar words all.

ab_grp

I gave up on my final word and got a first letter hint from my QBABH husband.  Of course it was an easy one.  Ugh.  Just not enough time to deal with it today!

Cathwen, congrats on your 2fer today!

Langue_doc, I'm sorry that you didn't get to go on your outing, but it seems like it would have been an arduous travel to get there and back.  Hopefully another outing with that group will come up again soon and be easier to manage.  By the way, I think this weekend is the puzzle mania section in NYT? If so, keep an eye out if you still get the paper version! And thanks about the crossword.  I finally fixed it.  I almost forgot about the early changeover deadline! My issue was at 100A.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Above genius, but no pangram yet.

cavorts/smithed; I found the latter first, and was surprised that it was accepted; it must be a relative of smith, smithy

ab-grp, I do have the puzzle mania section, but won't be able to get to it until after the semester.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB-4, and absolutely stumped.  I'll look at it later.  Yesterday I got impatient and gave up too easily—with one-letter hints and word lengths, I got diddling and indulging at the end.  Not hard words!

LB for yesterday was matriarchs-shoved.  Nothing yet today—I'm finding it very difficult!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Yesterday, GwP and lots of 2fer b4ss solutions but no 2fer.

shoved-dramatic
motivates-scorched
motivators-scathed
ravished-dotcom

And a very close sim-matched-drove.

Gah.

Happy solving!

ETA: Quick GwP and nowheresville with LB. Gonna be a sticky one!