News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

Langue_doc, congratulations on QB yesterday!  And happy travels with your newly tuned-up car with properly inflated tires.

Yesterday I got bogged down, went to first-letter hints, and saw that I needed a bunch of words beginning with G.  I almost immediately saw most of them, but then got a bit bogged down with the last word.  I finally got geotag

Today I am at QB-1.  I need a 6L word, but just don't see it yet.

LB:  I had abduct-temptation.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Happy puzzling, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Not a great puzzle day. GwP, and lots of 2fer b4ss and 3fers but no 2fer. Not a great puzzle week, actually. Seems I should have gotten a 2fer - cathwen's looks pretty straightforward even though the schmofficial one is a little weird.

Oh well. Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB!

My beef with the bee is that words such as gonna are accepted, but not legatee or allottee, as for example, in yesterday's bee.

abduct/temptation

ab_grp, yes that was the website; I quickly turned my eyes away.

Happy solving, all!

ETA: cathwen, I think I know the 6-letter word you're missing. I found it because I was on Amazon, looking for something entirely unrelated.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to GN4L.  I think I have 4 words left to QB, so I'll look at it again later.  Yesterday we almost had team QB but needed help with vegetal.  As for Shunn, that link I posted should just take you to the month of March page, not any particular day's page.  I just think it's interesting that he has changed what options he includes.

Congrats on your 2fers, Langue_doc and cathwen! Neither the schmofficial one.  I feel a lot of temptation for an empanada right now.  An abduction, not so much. 

Hope you do have safe travels when you get on the road, Langue_doc!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats, Parasaurolophus!

We got to team QB with kind of funny final words.  And I have a couple good LB contenders, one of which only leaves 3 letters!, but no luck.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

156-8 or so points. I doubt if I'll find the remaining words.

Last word yesterday was boba.

As for LB, wrench/harmonious, manicures/show, ceremonious/shaw; didn't think that the last one was a word.

Thanks for the good wishes, cathwen and ab_grp. I'm leaving tomorrow for what I hope is peace and quiet. I have to complete the grading and early warnings today.

Happy solving, all!

ETA: QB, words we've seen in previous bees.

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM already, but no LB as yet.

Yesterday my last word was bowwow.

LB was manicures-show.  Langue_doc, congratulations on your many combinations!

Happy puzzling!

ETA:  Just got a 2fer!

ciao_yall

QB-2. Should have gotten bonbon but wannabe? Really?

LB - this has not been a good week. Lots of 3fers including mouches-swain-nurse, chewier-runs-snowman, niece-runs-showman but never a 2fer.

Anyway, happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to GN4L with the pangram but not alpha yet.  Congrats on all the QBs and close-to-QBs! Yesterday we had team QB, but he was missing baobab, and I was missing jojoba.  Both things found in hair products, I guess. 

We also got a team 2fer: unceremonious-shawarma.  I was hoping that maraschino(s) would work out, but no luck there.  I am definitely impressed with all the solutions you found, Langue_doc! Congrats on yours yesterday and today, cathwen! And better luck today, ciao_yall.  You were close!

Langue_doc, good luck with the rest of the grading and notifications.  I hope you are able to have a peaceful trip!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Blah, didn't do well today.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

GwP and 3fers yesterday.

GwP and a quick 2fer today.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon! Maybe just afternoon now?

Internet was out this morning, so we didn't get too much done yet on puzzles.  Yesterday my final word was menu.  Kind of surprised that unimmunized, unmended weren't in there?

No luck on LB yesterday.  Congrats on your 2fer today, ciao_yall!

Gotta catch up on everything, as seemingly everything relies on the internet! At least I did some vacuuming in my spare time.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB-2 today and completely stumped. 

My last word yesterday was deemed—found long after I had found deem

Ab_grp, I was also annoyed that unimmunized and unmended were rejected, also unmined.  SB seems to be very stingy with which un- words it allows.   And I'm glad your internet is back up!  We had very high winds yesterday, with power outages in parts of the state, but we were lucky.

LB:  I had blimp-purgators.  I have a 2fer today also.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, cathwen! I hope you were able to get your final 2 words in the bee as well.  I'm down to three words but am not at Alpha yet.  No luck on LB, but I feel like I am totally out of sorts today with the time change and internet loss and related delays. 

ETA: Got a 2fer!