News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QB, took me forever including going over the hints several time to realize I didn't have bobble entered. Gah.

LB - just 3fers including the close clang-grump-potion, magician-nut-tropical, and a rather elegant gnu-umlaut-tropical.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with pangram.  Yesterday we had team QB, each needing one word (mine was botnet again).

No luck on LB despite many valiant tries.  You had some good 3fers though, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

My last words were boll, botnet, and bolt—my last word.  I was going crazy looking for that last word, because I was so sure I had entered it already!  I certainly had seen it. 

Today I have GWP, and don't see myself getting too far without help.

LB:  I had the "official" grump-politician.  (No comment.)  Today I haven't had any luck yet.

It's already been a frustrating morning.  Our condo has a new swimming pool—it is beautiful!—with a new wooden fence around the pool area, and a new gate with a locking device.  So I decided to go for a swim, but  I could not get the gate open!  It was obvious that you needed to push, pull, or squeeze the device in some way, but no matter what I tried, I could not open it.  I am extraordinarily inept at such things (and having arthritic hands doesn't help), so when I go down later with my husband, he'll probably open it right away, and I'll say, "Oh...".

Anyway—happy puzzling! 

ab_grp

Cathwen, congrats on getting the official 2fer! I haven't had any luck today yet, either, though I have some good contenders.  I'm sorry about the pool gate.  That is so disappointing!! Some gates are hard to open if you know how.  I'm sure that's especially true if you have arthritis.  I hope you get in and have a good swim in the beautiful new pool!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Genius and pangram. QB yesterday--the last word was one of the four-letter words I thought I had entered earlier.

ab_grp, hope your thumb is healing. cathwen, I think all you need is for someone to show you how to open the gate. Just a couple of hours ago, I couldn't get any water out of the faucet in the library despite waving my hands, positioning them at different angles, and holding my wrists in front of what looked like a sensor. Fortunately, the person who came in after me showed me what to do to get the sensor to work.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! It is doing a lot better, so I mainly just wear the stabilizer at night so I don't accidentally do something dumb to it, and I avoid too much pressure on it.  But I can do most things fairly normally now.  I don't think I'll be holding weights for a bit.  As for sinks, I am hopeless on that count.  I swear I'm invisible.  And if I move my hands around to get the water on or the soap on, nothing happens until I walk away, and then everything starts going.  Some people just watch and laugh.  I'm glad you got some help and figured it out! And congrats on QB yesterday!

cathwen

Glad to hear your thumb is improving, ab_grp!  And Langue_doc, I have also had trouble finding the sensors for water faucets. 

As for the gate to the pool, it happened just as I had imagined.  My husband and I walked down there, he took one look at the lock, and said, "I think it works this way."  And it did.  I tried it, too, and even I could do it.  So, tomorrow morning I will try once more to take a swim!  But talk about feeling dopey.

Still no 2fer today!  Lots of good words, but no solutions for the leftover letters. 

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer!

Cathwen, you probably loosened the gate lock, as they say.  Hope you enjoy a lovely swim tomorrow!

Parasaurolophus

Close, but ran out of time today.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBwH, last word pitapat. Forgot about that one.

LB conditionals-sambar.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Also QBWH, last word maillot.  So far today I am at Beta, and have found all five pangrams!  That's enough of a victory for me.  I am struggling at this point to find more words.

LB:  Like ciao_yall, I found conditions-sambar.   I kept trying to find something to fit with balsamic, but did not see contraband (the "official" solution)!

No 2fer yet today!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Just started and have one pangram today.  Congrats on finding all 5, cathwen! I guess no S was correct.  We had team QB again.  I needed taillamp, tattoo.

For LB, I finally got contraband-domicils.  The latter took forever to find as a mate! That was a tough one.  Congrats on yours, ciao_yall and cathwen! I had to look sambar up.  Looks delicious!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer! And finally got to genius, though I still only have 2 pangrams.  Eek.

Parasaurolophus

I, too, have only found two pangrams, but a third would push me to genius. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning! Almost genius and no pangram so far.

Missed telegenic and a few other words yesterday.

Happy solving!