News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I needed 1L help yesterday to find cadet and acetate.  Today I have three words to go.  Ab_grp, it took me a long time to get the pangram, too.

LB:  I had czarinas-stoutly.  I have one today as well.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Got a 2fer on my first try! I guessed at the mate, though, and wasn't sure it was a word.  Maybe I will try again later if I have time.

Cathwen, that's a great solution! I thought I might get somewhere with zirconia, but no dice.  Congrats on another today! Good luck with your final words.  Husband hadn't found the pangram yet, last I heard.

I also found two ships yesterday crazily~snout, zanily~courts.

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Found the pangram early on, but it took me a while to get to genius.

Missed exacta yesterday.

consular/ritzy; so many different solutions so far!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Stumped at a pangramless 'great'.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. Last word yesterday was logroll, which I remembered at the very end, and which I had missed on at least a couple of previous bees.

wealing/groundhog; found the latter first, and then tried various combinations with the remaining letters.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH for longhorn. LB whaler-grounding.

Enjoying the mental peace before I hit the election news.

cathwen

Good morning!

QBw1L help for gorgon, longhorn, and oolong.  Today I have only a few words to go.

LB:  I had howling-gaudier.  Another day with lots of variety!  After a bit of a struggle, I found a 2fer today.

Ciao_yall, I sympathize with wanting mental peace before hitting the election news.  I had to look this morning, and I am trying to discipline myself not to look again until lunch time. One happy thought is that all those annoying campaign ads are over!  If I were Queen of the Universe, they would be banned. But alas, I am not, and so I simply mute them.

But I digress.  Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I was struggling and then all of a sudden hit a streak and shot past genius by a fair bit but then went to other puzzles.  Good luck, cathwen!! Yesterday we had team QB by some miracle, but I needed help with guru, long, longhorn, unhung.

For LB, I also had wealing-groundhog.  Found the latter and was trying to find an -ing, so I just tried the remaining letters with it.  Today I also got a 2fer on my first try! Much more normal words.  Congrats on all the varied solutions yesterday and on another today, cathwen!

I looked at the races that were of the most personal interest to me last night (all went the way I wanted them to, luckily).  I haven't read about the big picture yet.  More coffee needed first.  I am kind of surprised that I wasn't bombarded with notifications about it.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and above genius. Missed alcopop which I've probably seen before, and pale, which I knew I'd entered quite early on.

blacksmith/harp

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Last word yesterday was plop.  Today I'm at alpha with two words to go.

LB:  I also had the "official" blacksmith-harp. I have found a 2fer today also.

Lots to do today!  Middle Daughter and Grandson, who is now a teenager, and reportedly now taller than both his mother and I (5'2"), are arriving tomorrow for the weekend.  What with my husband's cancer appointments, their summer schedule, and then Covid (them, not us), we haven't seen them since April!  I can't wait to see them! 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning! QBwATHICG because for some reason I could not remember lollop. Ended up reading the dictionary.

LB blacksmith-harp. Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams and finally to genius after a little work.  Yesterday we had team QB, and I was missing alcopop, lollop, paella.  I would never have gotten the first of those, so I'm glad husband remembered it from a previous bee.  I should have gotten the other two.

Also got the schmofficial solution.  Blacksmith appeared to me right away, and luckily its mate was very obvious then.  Congrats on another today, cathwen!

And I hope your visit with Middle Daughter and Grandson goes well! I didn't realize it's been so long since you had seen them.  Sounds like he will be able to reach stuff from higher shelves for you soon. 

Happy solving!

ab_grp

I got a 2fer fairly easily again but am totally stuck on the bee.  Ugh! Hopefully some more words will become apparent at some point.

Langue_doc

Congrats on your twofer, ab_grp!

I think I'm missing just one or two words in the bee, most likely along the lines of alcopop, so I've given up for today. There's still the crossword to be done.

cathwen, enjoy your visit with Daughter and grandson!

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! And thanks for the reminder to go back to figure out the crossword big picture.  I solved it in record Thursday time but had no idea what the heck the next step was and totally forgot to revisit.  I just read the blog and finally get it.  Hopefully you are quicker to catch on than I was!