News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good afternoon!

(Can it possibly be afternoon already?)  QB yesterday, but couldn't figure out the last 4-letter word, so went to 1L hints.  It was eave!  I felt like bonking my head with a dictionary.  Today I have 2 words to go, but cannot find them. 

LB:  I had the "official" quantum-mockery.  I have one today as well.

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Fell a little short today. Oh well.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and genius. It's a difficult one today. Last word yesterday was maraud.

doubter/rafting; breadfruit/tango

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got both pangrams but not yet to genius.  We almost made it to team QB yesterday, and I almost made it to QB myself, but we were both missing amour.  Oh well.  Or, ouh well.

I also had doubter-rafting yesterday. Congrats on two, Langue_doc!

We had a friendly little power outage and extended internet outage yesterday that made trip prep a little more difficult than usual since it was also a very dark and rainy day.  But in a couple hours we are back off to hospitalville for the 10 minute follow-up appointment tomorrow morning.  Luckily the precip seems to have stopped, and hopefully the roads are dry since there were several fatal accidents yesterday due to the little bit of rain that we got.  Hopefully this long trip is worth it! I am sure I will at least check in briefly while we are away but just a heads up.  Due back tomorrow evening.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBABM - tipped into genius with dumdum, last word aura.

LB doubter-refraining, doubting-grafter.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, hope you made it safely to hospital city. Seems that someone local could have done the follow-up.

Found a not-too-economical twofer, but I liked the first word, so decided that what I liked trumped economy.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. I didn't get around to completing the bee yesterday--had to catch up on my readings for the book discussion. I might not have found at least a couple of the words, so I'm glad I didn't waste time looking for them.

playboys/supernova

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I never did check in yesterday.  Tuesday I needed help for dumdum and maraud; yesterday I got to genius, but did not ever get back to the puzzle.  Today I have one 5-letter word to go!  I'll look for that later.

LB:  I had doubter-rafting on Tuesday, and supernova-ably yesterday.  No 2fer yet today.

Classes started yesterday, but today is the first day of my synchronous online course.  I have been scrambling!  I've taught the class many times in the past, but never online.  And I've been teaching online for along time, but asynchronously.  So in addition to firming up the syllabus and all that stuff, I've been frantically trying things like the whiteboard, screen sharing, etc.  My husband has been a willing guinea pig this week as my fake "student"  as I explore the various features of Webex.  Wish me luck!

And happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH and a reminder for taiga. Maybe I should make a list of bee specials. LB playboys-supernova*, supernova-ably.

Happy solving!

*langue_doc, that is among the more awesome solutions.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius so far.  Since I had to do the driving yesterday, I still had a few left when we compared, and we we both needed help with three: gelati, taifa, titillate.

No luck on LB, so congrats on the awesome solutions!

We got here without trouble and are just sitting around for another hour until the appointment.  Hopefully we can get on the road in early afternoon.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word yesterday was lunula.

The crossword seems to be rather easy for a Friday.

Good luck with the synchronous course, cathwen. My online courses have all been asynchronous which seems to work well with the content and format of my courses.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM yesterday, last word annul.  Today I'm well above genius with the pangram. 

LB: I had the very uneconomical exclamation-nobility.  No 2fer yet today!

Langue_doc, the class was kind of a jolt.  All those gray squares!  We're apparently not permitted to require that cameras be turned on, although I strongly suggested that they do so.  (Have to tread carefully here.). I thought that the class went miserably, but then later I got two nice notes from students.  Monday should be better, when they have actually studied something and have something to say. (One hopes.)

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius but no pangram yet.  Yesterday I was missing cannula (which I tried but had spelled wrong) and lunula, and we were both missing ulna.  Congrats on your QBABY, cathwen!

No luck on LB again, despite some good contenders.  Congrats on your 2fers yesterday and today, cathwen!

And I hope your class goes well.  That seems daunting to launch for the first time, but it sounds like you have done your best to prepare.  Hopefully they will engage at a level that feels comfortable to you.  I'm sure you are an excellent professor!

I also thought the crossword was easier than usual for a Friday.  I'm glad, as I have some catching up to do post-travel.  Luckily the appointment was fairly brief but productive, the hotel let us keep our room an extra hour so we could eat some of our Subway lunch before heading out, and we made good time.  The PA said that husband is recovering leaps and bounds better than most, which is not terribly surprising given that he is probably a good bit younger than most and has more mobility and strength to start with.  I'm glad he has been so compliant with his discharge instructions and is really doing so well! He put his own t-shirt on for the first time yesterday and has figured out a way to get out of bed on his own more or less successfully.  He still can't lift/push/pull more than the gallon of milk but can extend his range of motion somewhat, so that will help a lot.  And no more anti-embolism hose! Woohoo! Hopefully that is our last trip for this purpose, as his coming appointments and cardiac rehab will all be local. 

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Yesterday QBABM, last word lunula. LB was excitable-emoney which I thought I made up but it took so hey, it counts.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram after a bit and finally got to genius.  Yesterday I needed help with apogee, and we both needed help with ogee, falloff.

No luck on LB despite many tries.  Some were good possibilities! I did have volcano, but oh well.  Ciao_yall, I never would have guessed emoney would be in there.  Congrats! And congrats on your QBABY!

Happy solving!