News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Ciao_yall, sounds like you saw the same thing I did! As I reported previously, my 2fer solution did not make sense with what was posted as the official solution since it had totally different letters.  I thought I was going nuts, but I guess something must have happened on the site.  I'm glad you saw the other letters as well!

ciao_yall

QBwH for paginal, painkilling. LB wrench-halibut.

Quick 2fer today but LB is a slog. Oh and I achieved a 51-word streak in Wordle!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with help to find paginal.  Today I'm above genius with the pangram.

LB:  I saw wrench yesterday, but did not see halibut!  Instead, I found two iffy words (but they were accepted, so...):  twitcher-ruinable.  I got a quick 2fer today, though, with normal words.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday I totally ran out of steam after my work call and was missing a few.  We were both missing paginal and needed to go to the community hints for that one.  Painkilling took me a while. 

For LB, I finally happened upon wrench-halibut right before dinner.  And I got one already this morning, probably the only one, but who knows.  Congrats on yours, ciao_yall and cathwen!

Congrats on your wordle streak, ciao_yall.  Mine keeps getting erased for no reason.  But at least I feel less antsy about keeping it intact now! I still do it every day, though.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and genius. Didn't get back to the puzzles after posting here yesterday.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Finally found the pangram which got me to genius. Missed moneymen (didn't think that was a word).

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for monotone which drives me batty because I kept seeing mononym. LB quotations-swampy.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram this morning, and a good way to go.  Yesterday I went to 2LL hints to find mentee and tonne

LB:  I also had quotations-swampy.  I found one today, but it isn't very economical, so I may try again.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram but not to genius yet.  I got up late.  Yesterday I was missing a few (moneymen included), but we failed to get team QB because of metonym (though husband had the longer word... gotta try it with and without a y!).

I also had quotations-swampy

I read that today's crossword is not fun or clever.  It received a 0 ducks rating.  Eek.  Definitely looking forward to that slog. 

Happy solving, and happy Easter to those who are celebrating! 

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Last words yesterday were cami and marm.

mail/loveworthy (I think)

Belated Happy Easter to all. I was at a subway station platform, waiting for the train when a woman with a very decorated Easter hat started chatting with me. She was on her way to the Easter parade, and was proud of the fact that she had decorated the hat herself.

As for the crosswords, I've been out and about these past couple of weekends, so my streak is back to 1--no regrets, though.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for cataract, maraca and tramcar which I thought I had put in but it didn't take? LB whare-emotively. I thought I made up whare but it turns out it's a Maori traditional tribal dwelling.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with a 2LL hint for ratatat.  It's been in the Bee a number of times, but sometimes it doesn't register in my brain as a word. 

LB:  I had the "official" overwhelm-morality.  But before I found morality, I had martiality, which I thought was weird, even if accepted.  Why I didn't see morality right off the bat is anyone's guess.  No 2fer yet today!

Bird news:  Saturday my husband and I went to an Audubon center to walk the trails.  As we were about to leave, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye, turned to look...and it was a bald eagle chasing a hawk of some kind!  We stood mesmerized as the eagle swooped and soared in search of...lunch?  Or maybe just chasing the hawk out of its territory?  I didn't get a good enough look at the hawk's markings (it was moving very fast!) to determine what kind it was.  Perhaps red-shouldered, as I've seen them there before, but I'm not at all sure.  But, the bald eagle!  Seeing one is always a treat and always takes my breath away.

Happy puzzling! 

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday the day just got away from me, even though I don't think I did much.  It was a good rest day! But I was missing several words when we compared lists, and we failed team QB due to ratatat.  Weird to suddenly forget that one.

For LB, I finally got whomever-rivality, which I finally guessed not thinking that the latter was a word.  I tried so many compounds and had a bunch of good contenders.  Never saw overwhelm, though.  Lots of interesting solutions and new words today.

Wow, cathwen, that must have been a pretty cool moment to see! I wouldn't want to be in the way of those birds or caught in the middle of their little issue.

And I guess I forgot that there were Easter parades, Langue_doc! Or maybe I never knew.  Sounds like a fancy hat!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

QB.

cathwen, that must have been quite a sight.

ab_grp, the Easter parade is quite an event-- https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/04/09/nyregion/easter-parade-manhattan.html

This is probably behind a paywall:
https://www.nydailynews.com/photos/ny-easter-parade-2023-new-york-city-fifth-ave-20230409-b4sywnxp5nbibifg7lj236abfy-photogallery.html

The church in the background is St. Patrick's.

ab_grp

Langue_doc, that is some affair! The outfit spectacle kind of reminds me of the Mummers Parade in Philly.  Looks like people have a lot of fun, and I didn't realize it had such a history!