News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with the pangram so far.  It seemed like it took a lot of words to get to genius.  Not sure why! I don't remember some of the words I was missing yesterday, but I know minimizing was one, and we were both missing gimme.  This despite my just having seen Sam tweet a screenshot of that word repeated, apparently as a reference to a song.  Oh well.  I don't usually pay attention to his bee screenshot tweets because they sometimes give things away!

No luck on LB despite a lot of trying! Congrats on two 2fers, Langue_doc!! Maybe today will be the day.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBW2LL, last word ignited. Lots of 2fer b4ss including hangup-practitioner but finally got a hint for neuropathic-cog.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

I ran out of time (and ideas) yesterday so resorted to 2LL hints to find gimme, ignite/ing, teeming, and tinting.  Today is not much better—Beta with pangram, but six words to go. 

LB:  I had hepatic-congruent.  Congratulations on two solutions, Langue_doc!  I found one today, despite some fruitless struggling this morning.  This afternoon I came back to it, and there it was.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius and then the pangram.

Didn't have the time or energy to complete the puzzle yesterday--don't think I would have found durag anyway!

Easy jockeying/grape.

I have to take the subway for a doctor's appointment. The highs are going to be in the low twenties, so the trips and transfers should be fun, with non-riders stretched out across several seats. 

At least, tomorrow's bird walk was rescheduled because of the weather, so self, stop complaining.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and past genius pretty easily today, thankfully.  I managed to get most of the words yesterday, but we failed to get team QB.  We were both missing augur, and I was also missing angora, ran, orang.  At least I managed to find grand(d)ad this time.  One of them actually got me to genius.

I am kicking myself over LB! I finally came up with jockeying before bed and just couldn't come up with a mate! Argh!! Congrats, Langue_doc!

And oof, sounds like quite a chilly morning to be running around the city, Langue_doc.  I hope your trip and appointment go well and that you stay as warm as possible.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH and a few new words to add to my magic list because I overlooked them. Gah. LB jockeying-grape.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Not in top form yesterday.  I needed 1L hints for agar, agora, durag, radon, and grand(d)ad. And then I went to hints to find guar.  Today is better—I'm at QB-1 and trying not to go to hints.

LB:  jockeying-grape, like everyone else.  No 2fer today yet. 

I wish you well on your chilly trip to the doctor tomorrow, Langue_doc!  I am also going to the doctor, but that will entail nothing more than running from my front door to the car, then from the parking lot to the office, and then back again.  My husband got me a heavy goose down parka for Christmas for the extreme cold we'll be having. 

When I lived in Upstate NY, I remember that we had had a string of days at zero and below.  One day I went shopping downtown, and as I walked around, I felt hot.  I loosened my parka and scarf and took off my hat.  Then I looked at the time and temperature sign at the bank: 22º.  I guess it's all relative!  22 above zero felt toasty! 

Anyway—happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and genius, but that's probably it for today. Last word yesterday was envelope--took me quite a while to find it.

anticoagulant/thumb--found an easy twofer already.

The trip to the doctor's wasn't too bad as I had to remind myself that "cold" meant freezing or below freezing, and that the weather reports of cold blasts that were too cold for people to get out were merely hyperbole because people still had to get to jobs, schools, pick up kids from school/daycare, and so on. I had to leave enough time to find parking near the subway station which is quite a challenge, so got to my appointment an hour early. I didn't have to wait as I was seen by the assistant, the X-ray tech, and then the physician right away. Fortunately, I was just given the options (therapy, injections, or surgery) without having to choose any of them. I was in the subway station for my trip back a good 15 minutes before the start of the originally scheduled appointment!

Hope you have good news/reports from your doctor, cathwen.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got two pangrams and to genius so far.  Yesterday I was missing envelop, voodoo, and we were missing delve(d), veld.

For LB I finally got the schmofficial mucho-obligation right before bed.  I got the second word and then was a little surprised (btu happy) that the first word was accepted.  Congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc!

And I'm glad your trip to the doctor went well and hope your choice is easy to make when you do.  That is amazing, being headed home before your appointment was officially supposed to start! I love when that happens.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for delve(d), envelop. LB was a 2fer b4ss thumbnail-logic  until I got a hint for mucho-obligation.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Envelop was my last word yesterday.  Today I'm at genius with all three pangrams. 

LB:  No solutions yesterday, so congratulations to everyone else!  I did find one today, though.

Langue_doc, I'm glad the timing of your trip to the doctor worked out so well.  I put on my heavy down parka (the one I think of as my "Ithaca Jacket"), and that kept me toasty warm on my morning trip to the doctor.  The visit was okay.  He's sending me to a cardiologist because it's been years since I've seen one, and I have an alarming family history.  Better safe than sorry, as they say!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got to genius after getting the pangram fairly early on and then struggling pretty hard.  I was excited to see that it was a "short" puzzle.  Silly me.  Yesterday we got team QB.  I missed chica, chitchat, hematite.  I usually miss the first two but tried hemite so was at least close for the third.  I noted down that I would consider adding hamachi, mamacita given the others that are accepted.

No luck on LB again! I swear I try watchtower every time it's there, except not this time, apparently. 

I'm glad your appointment also went well, cathwen.  I am definitely growing more into the better safe than sorry camp about getting medical tests and checkups on a timely basis.  Your down parka sounds nice and warm!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Was out late last night so by the time I was ready to finish the Bee, it was past midnight. Was missing chichi, chitchat, emaciate, mahimahi, maim, titmice. LB wraith-hockeys.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall! Dangit, I got hockeys but never made anything out of it.  Good one! I was excited to finally get mahimahi, titmice since I almost always miss them.  Hope you had a good night out!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Almost there with the Pangram as my first word. Made it to QB yesterday, found the difficult words much earlier.

watchtower/risky, then cowcatcher/risky.

Twofer today.

My hip has been sort of out since Friday. I had good intentions of going to the ER for an MRI, but didn't think I'd find parking. If things don't improve, I might have to make an effort tomorrow. The nearby ERs are a nightmare for most normal people, but have heard that they're good for gunshot wounds.

Happy solving.