Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius.

ab_grp, that's quite an interesting bird, it looks like a punk cousin of the cardinal. May I suggest getting an ebird account, and reporting your bird sightings? You don't have to use your real name nor do you need to include your address when you report bird sightings. The Cornell Lab website has a free tutorial on ebird. I think I'm listed as one of the numerous "anonymous ebirder" or something similar.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius but not much further.  Yesterday we failed to get team QB.  I know I needed auto(crat), actuator, and we needed outro, oracular, lull and something else.  Husband did not get coloratura, but that was actually my first word! I just like the sound of it.  I think I first heard it in mid-adulthood when I took my mom to a performance by a small group that included one.  I would guess a lot of people haven't even heard that word before.

I almost got a 2fer, kept circling it but could not make the sale.  Congrats, ciao_yall!

Langue_doc, I will look into that! I hope they don't require any proof or accuracy.  Being new to bird looking (I don't know if I could say I'm a bird watcher at this point), I believe that was the correct ID for the bird, but who knows.  It is a cool bird, and I told husband this morning to take a pic if he sees it again while we're out.  I love cardinals, so I'm glad to have this cousin of sorts in my area.  This morning we had a lesser goldfinch with a bright yellow belly up in the same tree.  I did get a pic of that one, though I'm not sure how good it is. 

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday, but only with help to find actuator, curaçao, occult, outro, and tactual.  Today I have one word 8L word to go.

LB:  I finally got the "official" glaze-execution.  No 2fer yet today, but a lot of "almosts." 

ab_grp, I have never seen a pyrrhuloxia (having lived all my life on the east coast, with only occasional visits to the southwest.)  But, like cardinals, they look like elegant birds.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QB w Grid! Last word doxed. Darn those alternative spellings or it could have been an ABM. LB was nowhat-trickle which I tried on a lark because whatnot was SS.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. Last word yesterday was one of those easy four-letter words. I did remember the various spellings of dox. As for the previous puzzle, I remembered coloratura, but had to look up the spelling before typing the word.

ab_grp, you could look at the ebird reports in your neck of the woods (look under the usual hotspots in your area https://ebird.org/hotspots) to see how other birders report their findings. Photos and sound recordings are always helpful. If the bird you report is off the charts, someone from the Cornell Lab will get in touch with you, just to make sure that you didn't misidentify the bird.

So many easy hikes coming up for Sunday (rain and thunderstorm on Saturday), but I'm registered for a paid bird walk, so will have to miss the walks.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with help for the last word, étouffée.  Today I am at genius with the pangram.

LB:  No 2fer yesterday!  But I did get one today.  The second word is iffy, so I may try for another. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius.  I think I have 3 words left to QB, so I will cross my fingers.  The days have been busy, so I am not super confident if I don't get there in the morning.  Yesterday we failed to get team QB, both missing toed.  So close. 

No luck on LB, again.  Congrats ciao_yall! I did get a quick 2fer this morning.  Congrats on yours, cathwen!

Thanks for that tip, Langue_doc! I got a little nervous after reading that these spottings help to populate Merlin, but I did see that there is a fair amount of info required for submission, and it's good to know that they follow up on outliers.  I hope you enjoy whichever walks or hikes you end up doing.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

ciao_yall

QBwH for callback, kickback. Just 3fers such as armful-lingo-oboy, ships foraying::album and 2fer b4ss foraying-gumball yesterday but after seeing the hints? I don't feel so bad.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB yesterday with help from my Bee list to find likable and balalaika.  Congratulations on your QBABY, ab_grp!  Today I have three words to go.

LB:  I first had fumbling-goray.  I had never heard of the second word before; apparently it means 'white or fair-skinned.'  Then I tried again and found the "official" bulgogi-infirmary.  Youngest Daughter brought home a recipe for bulgogi from an international fair when she was in fifth grade, and I've been making it ever since.  Otherwise, I would never have thought of it.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius but the pangram took a bit.  Yesterday my final word was bilk.  Thanks, cathwen! I was pleasantly surprised to remember balalaika this time after missing it before.  Good luck today!

For LB I also got the schmofficial bulgogi-infirmary.  I saw the second word first and was happy that the first one was accepted with it! I have only had it a few times here at home when we got into Korean cooking for a bit, so I will have to stop by your house for dinner, cathwen.  And congrats on both 2fers! I had not heard of goray either, but good to learn a new word (even if I'll forget it).

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and genius. I think the last word yesterday was one of those familiar four-letter words.

I'm away from home--one of my outdoors organizations had organized a lunch at the CIA (not the spy one) where they offer prix fixe lunch at a discounted rate through the end of March. It was also a good time to visit because the students who prepare and serve lunch are about to graduate and hence much more experienced than they would be at the beginning of the semester. I decided to make it a two-day trip, so visited the FDR library before lunch, and might even go back because I didn't have the time to see the entire exhibit. Tomorrow's outings depend on the forecast, which is rain and thunderstorms. We'll see.

I think I'm spring breaking with a vengeance.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH, last word briny. Lots of 3fers yesterday including facelifts-swan-nimble but a 2fer today.

Crossword puzzle is a bit weird.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and genius.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams and to genius and then onto other puzzles.  Yesterday we were both missing briary, and I was also missing briny.

No luck on LB! Argh.  I feel dumb to miss webcasts-semifinal during the Final Four.  The closest I could come with the tougher letters was webcams.  I had about 40 tries and no luck! Persistence did not pay off.  Congrats on getting one today, ciao_yall!

Langue_doc, it sounds like a nice trip! I would love to have lunch at that CIA sometime.  I hope your outings today are not foiled by weather.

While I was recording Merlin today and getting a pic and recording of a different bird, pyrrhuloxia came back up but was somewhere around the corner.  I tried to sneak around, but I think I scared it away due to moving across gravel.  I thought maybe my giant magenta snuggy would make it think I was a cardinal friend, but no dice.  I will try looking in that tree next time.

Happy solving!