News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Lots of exciting stuff since my last post:
-got first dose scheduled.  Luckily I was going through emails when one came in about availability, so I jumped on it!
-found a 2fer!
-got QB!

Still have about 36 sudokus to try to solve, plus paperwork to do. 

Sorry to hear about your Windows update stuff, Langue_doc.  Definitely an argh! Can you change the update settings to ask you when to do so? I feel like I have been constantly updating my computers lately.

ciao_yall

So far...

SB: Genius, at least one word that is an unusual plural so without it I'd probably still be at amazing.

LB: 3fers and a sort of 2fer b4ss. So a 2fer is nigh.

LB is my jam.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on March 14, 2021, 11:33:50 AM
Lots of exciting stuff since my last post:
-got first dose scheduled.  Luckily I was going through emails when one came in about availability, so I jumped on it!
-found a 2fer!
-got QB!

Still have about 36 sudokus to try to solve, plus paperwork to do. 

Sorry to hear about your Windows update stuff, Langue_doc.  Definitely an argh! Can you change the update settings to ask you when to do so? I feel like I have been constantly updating my computers lately.

Woohoo on scheduling your first shot. Which one are you getting?

And congrats on your other accomplishments. Congrats to cathwen and ciao_yall.

As for Windows, my computer has a mind of its own, as some mornings it starts updating as soon as I press any key. It seems to have upgraded sometime last night as I had to enter my PIN this morning. I knew the laptop had also mysteriously upgraded as I now have to locate the password for the Adobe account. Aaargh!!!

Don't think I'm going to make any progress on the puzzles as I have to complete the crossword before 6. It's just an odd letter or two, but it's driving me nuts.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! It's Pfizer.  Hopefully the process will be as smooth as when husband got his first dose.  I guess we'll see how it goes! (Friday)

I hope you had good luck with the crossword.  I had a problem as well and had to put it aside and work on the bee a bit.  I had to edit because I just realized that if you're talking about 6PM your time, I guess that has come and gone, so wishing you luck won't help! I have a flag on this thread so that I get an email when someone posts, but it seems to take forever for them to come through.  It's been nearly two hours since you posted! So, I hope that you worked out your crossword business in time for the new puzzles to roll out.  Which reminds me that now I have three more sudokus to solve.  Zoinks! I think my eyes are going to fall out from working on taxes.

Did you get your 2fer, ciao_yall? You sounded pretty close!

Langue_doc

ab_grp, I too got the Pfizer. Keeping fingers crossed for a smooth shot and no waiting.

As for the crossword, I just got off the phone talking to an old friend for over an hour and a half. So, friendship and a nice chat trump the streak. Among other things, we were talking about taxes, and of course, politics.

Good luck with the sudokus.

I had good intentions of catching up on the grading but was sidelined by a nap earlier this afternoon. I'm glad for the nap as it's going to be a long night.

ciao_yall

Yep, achieved a 2fer.

Still barely into genius on SB with pretty basic words, so if anyone feels like creatively hinting some weird ones, pm away.

Grading, making dinner, catching up on TV.

cathwen

Congrats on your QB, ab_grp, and on your 2-fer, ciao_yall! 

I'm at 204 on SB, but doubt that I will make QB tonight. 

Ab_grp, I'm glad that you have your vaccine scheduled!  My second dose is April 7 (Moderna).  My husband just had his second shot, and has not had anything more than a sore arm—and that lasted only a day.  I know this country has a good way to go, but I am feeling optimistic as the vaccination count climbs.

Langue_doc, my husband just went through a s-l-oooooo-w upgrade to Windows.  He came up from the basement office to vent at some length while it was going on.  And good luck with the crossword!

Parasaurolophus

Fell 4 points short today, I'm afraid.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB yesterday and genius today.

I hate DST.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning, all! 

Congratulations on making QB yesterday, Langue_doc!  I was three words short—I missed genii (which I've missed before), hieing, and innie (also missed previously). 

Parasaurolophus, congratulations on getting so far! 

I've made Beta today so far, but will stop for now and come back later to look at SB with fresh eyes. 

As for LB, I got the "official" solution yesterday, and have a 2-fer for today. 

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - already at genius. Yesterday I tipped into genius. It wouldn't take eeling. I was glad it took weenie, but wienie?

LB - yesterday thumbing-granola. Already at a 3fer so 2fer should come soon. Gotta keep up with cathwen!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Congrats on the QB, Langue_doc, and the close to QBs, cathwen and Parasaurolophus! I think hieing was one of my final words.  The last one, eight letters of course!, was negligee.  I remembered the weenie/wienie thing because it bit me in the past.

I'm at 144 today, not Alpha yet, one pangram so far.

Congrats on your 2fer already, cathwen, and ciao_yall sounds close! I got the schmofficial solution yesterday.

As for the vaccine, I am relieved to be scheduled because I missed the first opportunity (full by the time I tried to get the appt).  I wish it were at the well run site husband went to, rather than the small drugstore I will be going to that has had mixed vaccination reviews with respect to social distancing and wait time, but I will give it a shot (ha!).  Very glad to hear that your husband's second dose didn't have major consequences, cathwen.  Mine has his next Wednesday.  I hope his and yours both go smoothly!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Langue_doc

Everybody's getting two-fers. Not me, sigh.

Yesterday I found negligee early on and was tempted to give a hint, but resisted. Several of the other words were familiar because I'd seen them in previous puzzles.

My last word today was a four-letter word that I thought I had entered when I first started working on the puzzle.

The crossword was ridiculously easy--not complaining though as it didn't take up much time.

One of these days I'll beat cathwen and ciao_yall to a two-fer. ab_grp, hope you made it to QB, and the rest of you too, including Parasaurolophus.

ab_grp

Well, I haven't gotten a 2fer (yet?), but I do have a couple possible contenders to work with.  Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall!

As for the bee, I did get to Alpha (161) but still have 11 or so points left (so I guess just one pangram).  Sounds like you got to QB, Langue_doc? Congrats!! And good luck with a 2fer.