News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good to know that, ab_grp, as I need eight more points. I'm in a state of shock as I just found a two-fer, the first word that some of you probably found, but the second, a short one, is unfamiliar to me. I tried it as a joke, not thinking that it was a real word.

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, Langue_doc! I have a few contenders, but no luck yet.  As for the bee, my final word was one that I would consider dumb.  I'm sure it may have been in there, but it's not one of the more frequent flyers, at least.  Not sure if you need that same word or not, though.  Good luck!

ciao_yall

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 18, 2021, 04:16:45 PM
Good to know that, ab_grp, as I need eight more points. I'm in a state of shock as I just found a two-fer, the first word that some of you probably found, but the second, a short one, is unfamiliar to me. I tried it as a joke, not thinking that it was a real word.

Mine were both pretty evenly balanced and not unusual. Curious to hear what you found... if you are on in the next 12 minutes!

Parasaurolophus

Most of the way to genius (with pangram) while the hatchling dozes in my arms. I'm surprisingly bee-spry for someone creeping up on 48 hours without more than one ten-minute nap!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats again, Parasaurolophus! So happy for you.  It sounds like you are doing more than great, considering that much lack of sleep! Good luck to you and your bee partner!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

ab_grp, I think we had the same final word. It looked familiar once I had found it, but as you note, it isn't one of the often-seen words such as baobab, acai, and acacia.

Made it to amazing and no pangram. It's a tricky one today.

LB quintuples/swob. I didn't think that the latter was a word, so entered the pair again just to make sure that the first acceptance wasn't a fluke. ciao_yall, I couldn't think of a hint as I still don't know the meaning of the word.

cathwen, did you get the crown?

Parasaurolophus, I hope you get some much-needed sleep and TLC.

Happy solving, all.

cathwen

Good morning, everyone!

Parasaurolophus, congratulations on your SB success, and even more so on the little one!  Where is the heart emoji?

I never made it beyond Beta yesterday.  I am very annoyed that I missed baobab yet again.  Congratulations to sb_grp and Langue_doc on QB!

Today, I'm at genius with the pangram in SB.  I have also found a 2fer in LB.

Yesterday, I had quintuple-elbows, which is the "official" solution.  Langue_doc, a victory is a victory, even with a weird word!  If LB accepts it, that is that.  Apparently swob is an archaic variant of swab.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Boogaloo was my final word.  Was it yours, Langue_doc? I also got ciao late in the game, again.  Today I'm closing in on Alpha (at 95 now) with 1 pangram.  I didn't sleep very well and have my first dose in a little over an hour, so I'm not sure what today will bring for puzzles. 

Congrats on your 2fers yesterday! I just couldn't get there.  I thought maybe quotients would work, but I kept having p, b, w leftover.

Happy solving!

ETA: Sorry, cathwen! Congrats on your 2fer today as well! I swear my brain is like mush this morning, but I just opened LB and was reminded.

ciao_yall

I also had quintuple-elbows for LB. Already have a 3fer this morning.

SB is a slog today. Yesterday, with help from the Wordplay crowd I got everything but bilabial.

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on March 19, 2021, 08:13:58 AM
Good morning!

Boogaloo was my final word.  Was it yours, Langue_doc? I also got ciao late in the game, again.  Today I'm closing in on Alpha (at 95 now) with 1 pangram.  I didn't sleep very well and have my first dose in a little over an hour, so I'm not sure what today will bring for puzzles. 

Glad you're getting the vaccine! Yes, that was my final word--took me a long time to find it.

I made it to well above genius and found the pangram earlier this morning. I'm not sure how the puzzles will get done today and tomorrow as I have to be up at the crack of dawn to go on a birding trip--my first one with a group since the pandemic. The event is limited to 10 participants, so I'm not too concerned about the people, but only with the early morning schedule and the lack of bathrooms in public places.

ciao_yall

Morning!

2fer on LB, so yay.

SB is a slog. Found the pangram and still at amazing. Are there a lot of weird words or do I just need more coffee? Wouldn't take orlon though it usually takes nylon even though both are proprietary eponyms (fancy word for generic trademark).

Off to yoga class today, double yay!

ab_grp

Yep, the vaccination was not nearly as smooth as husband's, but it is over with, and I met my big deadlines earlier in the week, so I am taking it easy and puzzling! Hope you enjoy your birding outing, Langue_doc, though the early morning schedule and bathroom availability would not be my cup of tea.   For as disorganized the pharmacy was this morning, you'd think they'd have the bathrooms open there, but nope.

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall! I don't think there were weird words, mostly ones from previous puzzles, as far as I recall.  I got no more words while waiting in line for the vaccine but did get to Alpha when I got home (105) and apparently have one more word to go.

cathwen

I'm also finding SB a bit of a slog. I'm a little beyond genius at 84 points. 

Ciao_yall, I am also annoyed about the rejection of orlon.  But you're going to yoga class!  That is great news!  After my second vaccine injection, I will be looking for a new gym (my old one closed in December) and looking forward to getting back to yoga and Zumba. 

Congratulations on your 2fer!

And Langue_doc, enjoy your birding trip! 

Ab_grp, congratulations on Alpha!  You are sure to make QB.  And I'm glad the vaccination is over (this is the second shot, if I recall). 

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen! This was just my first dose, which I guess is why I was a little more anxious about it.  Also, this was my first time inside a building other than my house since medical tests last March, so I was nervous about that and whether people would be social distancing correctly (a mixed bag, as it turned out).  I know I am probably in the minority on that (having not been in another building in so long).  Fortunate to be able to do so, but there are consequences.  At least I will know the procedure better for the next dose.  I am curious if this is the case for those of you who have been vaccinated: our group this morning got a card with 4/9 as the next date but the follow up DOH text/email with 4/8.  We were told to follow the DOH, but is that weird?

Also, I love Zumba! I thought I wouldn't because it's a group thing (which also makes me anxious that I'll mess up, despite being a total dancing dynamo, ha!), but one of the finance ladies at work gave a class on campus after work hours, and it was so much fun.  I miss it! Hope you get back to yoga and Zumba soon and that ciao_yall enjoys the yoga class today.

ciao_yall

Glad I went.

Glad it's over.

Still stuck at amazing.