News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Went to the online solver. Okay there then... only one reasonable solution and I wasn't even close. All shall be revealed in the morning...

Parasaurolophus

All the puzzles have gone poorly today where I'm concerned. Tomorrow's another day!
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Yesterday's puzzles were difficult. Missed nonpaid (!?) and podia. I should have found the latter as I've used it in at least a couple of bees.

Two pangrams, 21 words, and genius.

Megabit!? Can't the NYT come up with normal words?

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp, what was the word with plenty of Cs?

cathwen

Good morning! 

Yesterday's SB was not an easy one!  RiparianApiarian?  Okay, I got apiary, but still...  I'll have to remember those for another time.  But if Langue_doc and ap_grp didn't get to QB, what hope was there for me?  : )

Today's SB stands at Beta with two pangrams.  As usual when I get to this point, I'm running out of steam. 

I'm almost embarrassed to reveal my solution for yesterday's LB, because it is so weird and involves a word I had no idea existed, and which I found by just using up the remaining letters in what I thought was a nonsense word.  Anyway, my solution was unfairest - tumbaga.  What the heck is that, you ask?  It's an alloy of gold and copper.  I looked it up when LB unexpectedly accepted it.  What annoys me is that I had transfuse, but did not see megabit, a word I've actually heard of!

I found a more normal solution for today's LB.  Words I've actually heard before. 

Good luck with today's puzzles!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I actually got an LB solution last night, but not the schmofficial one: misnumber-regraft.  I had megabits as a contender and thought of a ton of trans- words, but not that one.  I definitely had not heard of tumbaga, so a new word! The C word that for some reason came to mind was caricature.  Okay, it only has two Cs.  I think I ended up with (and this is not hyperbole, unlike the C word) 40 contenders.  I started classifying new ones into sort of subset classes, like fugue is in the subset class of fumigate or fatigue, in that I had already tried them, and they had all the letters of fugue plus some, plus it started and ended with the same letter as them, so it wasn't worth pursuing.  Oh yeah! It took numbnuts but not barfbag or faustian.  Hmm.

As for the bee, I got apiarian second to last with the help of knowing it was an 8-letter A.  Husband was laughing at me about my final word because it is a word I use a lot, prior.  I tried prion, but it wouldn't take that.  Didn't even think about prior! Anyway, not a QB, but close enough for a cheap cigar, I guess.

For today, I juuuuust got to Alpha (148).  Three words left, 13 points.  Good luck to us all.

Congrats on your 2fer, cathwen! I hope today does not require several pages of contenders.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB yesterday - missed a few easy words and a lot of new and tricky words.

This morning - genius and 2 pangrams.

LB yesterday - I wasn't even close. And the only reasonable solution on the online solver was the official one. But I had lots of 2fer b4ss solutions: grafters-submarine, gamifies-sunburnt, mains-subterfuge, faints-submerge, fumigates-suburban, and some 3fers. Seems like they use the same side thing to make it harder, which is fine, but then we don't all come up with cool different answers.

This morning already have a couple a 3fers, which normally is a sign that I'm off to a good start. But you can see from yesterday that isn't always the case.

ETA: Well, it looks like people did come up with solutions to LB at long last!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

QB, only one weird word which I remembered from an earlier puzzle. The four letter words gave me some trouble. Weird word was one of the long ones.

Parasaurolophus

Got to genius and two pangrams pretty easily today. LB eludes me, however.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

I finally got to QB as well, and the weird long one missed in a somewhat recent puzzle was my final one.  Some of the four-letter words also eluded me for a long while, which is odd because I can usually spot those pretty well.  Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc!

I forgot that yesterday I really wanted subterfuge to be a solution word, but there were b4ss issues as ciao_yall mentioned.  Would have been nice to have sub- for many reasons.

A couple contenders on LB so far, but no mates yet.  Busy morning with husband having to go with minor (soon to be 17 yo) daughter to get her first dose, as apparently that is required.  It was in a grocery store (one that had been closed down due to COVID a couple months ago...) but was seemingly very well organized.

ciao_yall

Yeah, 3fers coming out of my ears and I keep finding new words... alas, all end up as 3fers. The dopamine jolt of "hey there's another word" coupled with... argh... still have a stray B or K I don't know what to do with...

ciao_yall

Little hint from the online solver. I was soooooo close!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

My last word yesterday was lallygag, which I remembered from a previous puzzle that also had lollygag, if I'm not mistaken.

Genius today with one pangram.

I found skimped and other words that contained either a c or a k, but gave up early on.

ab_grp, glad to hear that your teen has been vaccinated. She'll have a lot more freedom to get out and about after the second shot.

Happy solving, all!

Langue_doc

I need one four letter word for QB. Familiar words so far.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I also had lallygag as my final word.  Barely remembered missing that one before.  At least I got to QB today.  Good luck, Langue_doc!

For LB, I had a bunch of good contenders and thought skeptical might work, but no dice. 

Thanks about our youngest! She works, so though her school is remote for this semester it will be good to have more peace of mind about her employment, at least. 

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations to Langue_doc and ab_grp for yesterday's QBs!  I missed lallygag, although I now remember it from a previous puzzle.  I also missed eely.  Today I'm at genius with one pangram.

Yesterday's LB:  I had debacles-skimpiest.  I have not yet found one today, though! 

Ab_grp, congratulations on QB already on today's SB!  And what a relief that your daughter is now vaccinated.

My daughter, son-in-law, and grandson (age 12) are arriving today.  All except grandson are vaccinated, but because of him, we'll be doing mostly outdoor stuff.  Walks in parks.  Mini-golf.  That sort of thing.  I haven't seen my daughter and grandson since August (they came down when both our states were at very low infection rates) and I haven't seen my son-in-law since Thanksgiving 2019.  Therefore, I will not be spending much time on puzzles this week!