News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Morning!

Almost genius with two pangrams. Didn't realize that there are a couple more-- thanks for the info, cathwen.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I'm at Alpha with four words left but am stuck for now.  The pangrams are many but are not too tough, so good luck, Langue_doc.  Congrats Parasaurolophus, ciao_yall, and cathwen! I agree, it's sometimes hard to spot the ones with -eing.  I think genii was my final word.

No LB solution for me either, though I was trying in the right direction according to the schmofficial solution.  Congrats on yours today, cathwen!

Not sure why when I can sleep in a bit my mind says it's time to get up at 6AM.  :-( More time for puzzling, but less brain available.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - last word before QB was innie. I knew I was missing an IN5 and couldn't see it. So the streak continues.

LB - According to the online solver fawns-seismology was the only (reasonable) solution. I had found fawns and maybe eventually would have found seismology but that i-not-before-e thing might have tripped me up. Did find a few 3fers but nowhere close.

The quest begins anew...

ETA: Genius, 2fer. 2 pangrams, and you say there are more? Okay. Will be a tired queen by the end of the day.

ETA^2: 4 pangrams now.

ab_grp

Congrats on your 2fer, ciao_yall!

Finally made it to QB with Shunn's help.  I think all the words were familiar ones, though.  Good luck!

Time to get on sudokus and try LB... then more vacuuming...

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on June 18, 2021, 08:20:11 AM
Morning!

SB - last word before QB was innie. I knew I was missing an IN5 and couldn't see it. So the streak continues.

The quest begins anew...

ETA: Genius, 2fer. 2 pangrams, and you say there are more? Okay. Will be a tired queen with a tiara by the end of the day.

Getting ready for Monday's appt, so have to put the puzzles on the back burner.

ciao_yall

Went to shunn. Still 2 words short. I know the first two letters. Really hope I don't have to hit Wordplay for definitions.

ETA: Okay, hit wordplay. One unusual spelling, one new word.

cathwen

Ciso_yall, where are you finding the hints/definitions on Wordplay?  When I go there, all I find are some general articles on puzzles, no blogs or comments. 

Parasaurolophus

Genius and four pangrams. Phew!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Congrats, ciao_yall and Parasaurolophus! Husband just got home and still needs a few words.

Cathwen, I think ciao_yall is talking about the wordplay blog associated with the NYT crossword puzzle.  On that blog page for each day's puzzle, there is a link to the comments.  People comment on the crossword there but also on the bee and LB.  Good info, but also some spoilers to be aware of if you are trying to avoid them.  But if Shunn doesn't get you all the way, sometimes you can find info there.  It sounds as though you have found the blog's site.  You can also get to the day's write up from the crossword in the app by clicking the "i" and then "Get solving tips, comment on today's puzzle" link at the bottom.  But here is a link to today's: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/17/crosswords/daily-puzzle-2021-06-18.html and there is a link to read the comments at the bottom.  Or right under the title, the little chat-looking icon.  If this is not what you were asking or looking for, don't mind me... ;-)

ciao_yall

Here you go.

https://www.nytimes.com/column/wordplay

Go to the comments, click on "Reader Picks" and the Bee crowd pops right to the top. Someone in Tokyo posts a grid and commenters post hints as well.

Langue_doc

Morning!

QB and two-fer yesterday. backbreaking/gizmo; took me a long time to find a mate for the latter.

Genius with a pangram so far.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Ciao_yall and ab_grp, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  Got it!

Langue_doc, congratulations on QB!  And Parasaurolophus, congratulations on genius with all four pangrams!

I was at QB-2 yesterday.  I should have seen martyr, and it probably should have occurred to me that rattly was a word.  Next time!

Today, SB is at Beta with both pangrams. 

My LB for yesterday was backer-romanizing. Looks like we have some variety for that one!   

I have found a 2fer today. 

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - tali was my last word and a new one for me.

LB - backcombing-gazer.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Broke the 200-point mark today but still a ways to go and a second pangram that I'm missing!  Found the first one right away.  I am struggling! I'm glad you found them both, cathwen.

Absolutely no luck on LB, though I think yesterday I had my longest list of really, really solid contenders.  Very long words! Lots of them! No solution.  Congrats on all of yours, which are different from each other and from the schmofficial solution! I feel sad not to have found one given the number of solutions.  Maybe I was concentrating too much on long words.  Maybe today will be more successful.  Congrats on already getting one today, cathwen!

And congrats on your QB, Langue_doc! Cathwen, you were very close! I think rattly was my third-to-last word, and I still had two 6-letter T words so tried tattly, to no avail.  My final two were tartly and trimly, the latter of which was also a final word for husband.  He also had trouble with tali, though that is one that has appeared before that is now lodged in my memory after having missed it a few times.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Had some good luck before breakfast and got the second pangram, which was a bit of a "duh" in retrospect (though that often seems to be the case).  One word left to QB! At least husband doesn't have to go into work, so we can take more breaks and keep trying.  He still has the second pangram left and a couple other words.  Maybe it will be a pure QB today.  I am at a loss for the final word right now, though.

No love on LB yet...