News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

ab_grp they were like "Oh, lots of great words like lollipop, hellhole..." and a few others. They got shamed.

I am 2 points away from GN4L with only one pangram. I guess I could do GOTN by putting in two 4 letter words but where is the fun in that?

ETA: Oh, I had 2 pangrams and didn't even notice. Surprise. Then I got one more word and tipped into GN4L.

ab_grp

Thanks for the info, ciao_yall! That is really rude to do.  They make people read the rules before joining, so there seems to be no excuse.  I know sometimes people give away an answer inadvertently by saying that some other word that contains it is not in the list, but this definitely seems intentional.  And congrats on the GN4L!

I'm now at Alpha with 4 words to go.  Blah!

ciao_yall

The problem with GN4L is that once I am free to put in all the 4Ls, I put in words quickly but the points are pretty much meaningless. Woohoo, I've gone from 198 to 214 and I'm still not even at Beta....

ab_grp

Yep, on the one hand, doing all the 4s at once after genius feels a little anticlimactic because of the points.  But, it also means getting a lot of words really quickly, maybe even doubling the word count!

We decided to compare first letters since we were both at Alpha.  And I still have 2 words to go, even after asking Shunn for help.  I know how long they are and what they start with (first two letters each), and no ideas.  There are a couple words that were not accepted today that would fit.  Of course!

But I did get a fast 2fer.  My first contender led to a second and a solution, thankfully.

cathwen

Argh!  Finally got a 2fer.  It now seems obvious, so I don't know why it took me so long.

ab_grp

Hooray, cathwen! It's funny how they seem obvious sometimes after the fact.  ;-) I feel like yesterday's and today's, in particular, each had one specific word that was probably obviously going to be part of the schmofficial solution (we'll see, I guess), whereas some days there are a lot of good ones.

We finally straggled to team QB.  I thought we might just have to quit.  Luckily, husband found one of my two words, and I found the other that we both needed.  I did not remember having seen his word before (but could have and forgot), but my last one has been in there occasionally and is definitely a bee word, in my opinion.  Thankfully, I finally remembered it and put us out of our collective misery.

Langue_doc

Just saw this in the Gothamist: Maki Kaji, the creator of Sudoku, has died at 69 from cancer.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bc-as-japan-obit-maki-kaji_n_611bc70ee4b077b33b2ba4cf

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! I had forgotten that I had seen a NYT article about him earlier today (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/17/world/asia/maki-kaji-dead.html).  They have some different info between them, so check that out as well if interested.

ciao_yall

QB -1 and I R stuckity stucky stuck stuck. Missing the 2nd to last PI word. Tried the Wordplay clues which didn't help, and also tried the old-school dictionary. So, any hints will be welcome! It has 8 letters.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ciao_yall on August 17, 2021, 05:34:34 PM
QB -1 and I R stuckity stucky stuck stuck. Missing the 2nd to last PI word. Tried the Wordplay clues which didn't help, and also tried the old-school dictionary. So, any hints will be welcome! It has 8 letters.

Got it. Gah.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and almost genius today. I'll stop after getting to genius today. Yesterday got the pangrams, but had trouble with plebeian as I thought the word was spelt plebian, which I entered multiple times. I did get plebe and pleb early on. A few words that I thought I had entered didn't make it to the list, which is not unusual.

The official LB solution--gah!

ab_grp, thanks for the link.

Will be slowing down on my reading/puzzling as one eye is still giving me grief. Seeing the doctor on Sat--think he's on vacation until next week.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram this morning.  Yesterday I got to QB, but not without some help from Shunn.  My last word was panini!

LB was amazingly difficult for me yesterday, but when I found the "official" quicksand-dozy I couldn't imagine why I hadn't seen that before.  I had found quick...and sandy...but somehow didn't put it together to get quicksand.  The remaining letters gave me dozy, which I didn't think was a word, but if LB says so, then it is!  I have a 2fer for today. 

But SB might not be getting much attention today, or the rest of this week, as we are leaving for a four-day mini-vacation in a few hours.  I would just as soon stay home, but my husband is jumping out of his skin with the need to get away, so...off we go.

Langue_doc, I hope that your doctor is able to clear up your eye problem! 

Happy puzzling, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB WATHICG with a few new words palp, plena but the last word that vexed me was... pipeline.

LB - quicksand-dozy. Okay there then.

cathwen, enjoy your vacay. Langue-doc, sorry about your eye.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I think I have 5 words to go today and did get GN4L and the pangram.  Yesterday I got tripped up by plebeian because I thought it was spelled plebian, too.  So when I finally got that, I quickly put in plebe and pleb and then realized I had messed up going for the GN4L.  Ugh! Our final words were plena, which husband happened upon, and palapa, which I finally managed to remember.

I also got the schmofficial LB solution.  I had only found one contender, quick, which wasn't too promising, then I happened to see the sand part and tried dozy.  Congrats on getting one today, cathwen!

Also enjoy your mini-vacay, cathwen! I hope the time away ends up being enjoyable for both of you!

And it's too bad that they can't get you in sooner for your eye, Langue_doc.  I hope the rest helps and they can take care of it Saturday.

Happy solving!

ETA: Got a 2fer on my first try! Woohoo!

ciao_yall

QB -3, needed a few reminders.

LB - lots of 3fers, again missed a pretty easy finish. Where is dozy when I need it?