News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on the QB, ciao_yall! Sorry you didn't get the well deserved QB screen!! I'm still working on my final word.  :-(

Cathwen, it's funny to see who ends up with what needs in the same family.  Her older sister did not have braces either.  However, the older sister has had a bunch of cavities, youngest has not had any.  Neither have needed glasses so far.  Sounds as though Middle Daughter did get very lucky! Were the others envious? Our young 'un wanted braces from an early age (I guess it seems exciting), and now she is not super thrilled with the reality.  But I guess it's good timing as she gets to wear a mask most of the time!

And congrats on the 2fer, cathwen!

And congrats on genius to Parasaurolophus! You are closing on QB!

Langue_doc

Will keep fingers crossed for the homecoming dance.

Got to QB.

ab_grp

Congrats on the QBABY, Langue_doc, and thanks!

I just happened upon this podcast episode with Sam as a guest: https://slate.com/culture/2021/08/nyt-spelling-bee-sam-ezersky.html  There's a link to the full transcript, so I just read that rather than listening.  Nothing really new for us pros, but I figured I'd share in case anyone is interested.

ab_grp

Got a 2fer but may not be schmofficial so will keep looking for another...

ciao_yall

Still stuck in the 3fer slog here. A few good words but keep leaving odds and ends.

ciao_yall

Okay got a little help with a weird word. So I don't feel so bad.

Then I tried again. There was an easier word I overlooked. Gah.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and above genius.

The same words keep cropping up in the crosswords. Recently there were a couple of days when "The Rock" was featured. Acai is another example. Sometimes I'm not sure what the theme is as I can complete the puzzles without "finding" the theme. Easy one yesterday (today's puzzle).

Thanks for the link, ab_grp.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

QB - guessed at wight.

LB - with a little help found bebop-paroxysmic. Then realized bicep-paroxysm was hiding in there.

Oh well, happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with both pangrams, but I foresee dipping into Shunn.  I am out of ideas.

LB:  I had the schmofficial paroxysm-microbe.  Ciao_yall, the combination of bebop and paroxysm has me imagining all kinds of frenzied dancing to lively music!  (As opposed to writhing microbes.)

I have a 2fer today as well.

First day of classes!  I always look forward to the beginning as much as the end. 

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Two pangrams and genius. On to LB.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: cathwen on September 01, 2021, 07:27:16 AM

First day of classes!  I always look forward to the beginning as much as the end. 

Me too! Happily tweaking a course now.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have 2 words left to QB and got GN4L and Alpha but am stuck for now.  Yesterday my final word was eightieth, which I finally figured out but should have gotten earlier!

I had paroxysmic-comber for LB yesterday.  Congrats on the 2fer already today, cathwen!

Langue_doc, there was a clue/answer in the crossword today that made me chuckle due to recent discussions here! You're right that they do keep including particular words.  Today was not difficult, though I am sad to say it took me a while to see what I was supposed to be seeing in the grid.  Needed the coffee to kick in, I guess.  The theme puzzles that can be completed without any understanding of the theme are a let down, in my opinion, especially since some constructors can pull it off really cleverly.

Happy first days of class!

And happy solving!

Langue_doc

I too chuckled when I saw that word last night and thought of you, ab_grp and cathwen. It was spelled correctly though in the crossword. I was going to bring it up tomorrow.

ab_grp

Still one word to go to QB.  Ugh!! Husband finally got to Alpha and did so with the word I need, so at least we have team QB.  And I have a few LB contenders that seem good but no mates yet.

Langue_doc, I'm glad you also got a chuckle out of it! I figured I'd mention it sort of obliquely but more tomorrow, as well.

ciao_yall

QB, got the screen. Woooh. Learned a new word which I think I should have remembered from another puzzle, plus a few I had overlooked. After 40-odd words I seem to miss a lot of easy ones.

LB, finally got a 2fer but one of the words was weird so I don't feel so bad. Hope an easy one doesn't emerge later.