News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

QB and a 2fer, both of which seemed harder than they should have been. I got the Mondays.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Last words yesterday were hamate and thee. I found the foreign-sounding words and both spellings for the tent word much earlier. Much to my surprise, when I checked the words on the desktop, I noticed that phat had been entered, although I didn't recall typing that word which I would have found anyway.

Pangram and genius today; I saw the pangram as soon as I opened the puzzle.

airforces/showboat

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Last word, with Google, was hamate.

LB - crawfishes-stob.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Was everyone's last word hamate?  It was mine, too.  Embarrassingly, my next-to-last word was they!

Today I am at genius with the pangram.  It's kind of a slog today with a 287 point maximum.  Groan...

LB:  Yesterday I found crowbar-reshift—so it looks like a variety of answers, since Langue_doc's and mine are different from each other, and also from the "official" answer.   I have a 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to Alpha and GN4L but have a bunch of words left and no juice at the moment.  I think hamate was second to last for me, and I just kind of guessed it with the first two letters and length.  My final word was mahatma, which irked me because it was just in the crossword a few days ago and at that time I was telling my husband that there had been a bunch of comments on it the previous time it was in the puzzle and whether it was a proper noun or not and what it meant.  Ugh!! But, at least I did get it eventually.  Maybe someday I will remember that one.

My LB solution was crawfishes-strobe.  So none of us so far got the official one? And what is a stob?! Apparently a broken branch or stump.  New word! Good find, ciao_yall! Congrats on getting one today, cathwen!

Langue_doc, maybe the platform entered phat for you to spare you the indignity of having to do it yourself.  I wish mine would have!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

GWP, schlepping to QB.

Plenty of 3fers and contenders, no 2fer yet.

ab_grp

We finally decided to compare letters and move on.  We ended up having team QB and each got to impure solo QBs, him first.  Probably should have found some of the words without help, but oh well.

I did find a 2fer, though, finally.

ciao_yall

QB with Forum and a 2fer.

cathwen

QB with help from WP for first letters for those last two stubborn words. 

Congrats on the QBs and 2fers, ab_grp and ciao_yall! 

Langue_doc

ab_grp

Congrats on the QBs and 2fers, ciao_yall, cathwen, and Langue_doc! I wonder if we'll all have different answers again.

monarda

My first QB with the hints in the comments on the SB forum. Some decent clues in there.
Previously, I managed QB with just the matrix. My last word was IN-9, should have seen that one sooner.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, but no pangram yet. Last words yesterday were ecocide (I've seen this in previous puzzles) and dojo, both of which I managed to find by resorting to the Wordplay hints on word-initial letters and the number of letters for these words.

As for hamate on a previous bee, I found it by trying various combinations of letters. I'd seen mahatma, hatha, and a couple of other words in previous bees so I looked for them. ab_grp, I also remember the former in a recent crossword.

newt/triumphal

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram, but no 2fer yet.

Yesterday ecocide and innocence were my last words.  I dimly remember having seen ecocide before—it was a word I tried, not thinking it would be accepted.

LB yesterday was whup-parliament.  I was surprised that whup was accepted, as I consider it dialectal.  But I won't argue!  Langue_doc, I like your solution better!

Monarda, congratulations on your first QB!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Quote from: monarda on September 28, 2021, 08:06:03 PM
My first QB with the hints in the comments on the SB forum. Some decent clues in there.
Previously, I managed QB with just the matrix. My last word was IN-9, should have seen that one sooner.

Welcome, monarda!

QB - new word - ecocide, and I had forgotton codon from previous puzzles.

LB - went-triumphal. Really wanted to do something with elephant, narwhal but only made 3fers out of those.

Happy solving!