News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

We had to get up early, so I managed to get to QBABM.  Good luck! Yesterday I gave up and needed help for gliding, of all things.  Too impatient!

No luck on LB, so congrats on the solutions!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

2fer! Something tells me we aren't going to have a lot of variety in our solutions today.

cathwen

Wow!  Congratulations, ciao_yall, I haven't gotten anywhere with LB yet!

ETA:  Congratulations on QBABY, ab_grp!  I have two six-letter words to go.  Trying not to cave.

ab_grp

Congrats, ciao_yall!

Cathwen, I don't think there were any words that were very difficult or that hadn't been in there.  That doesn't mean they come without frustration, of course.  Sending you bee juju!

cathwen

Thanks, ab_grp!  That juju might come in handy.

I just got a 2fer—and like ciao_yall, I think it might be the only possibility.  I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Langue_doc

cathwen, don't cave in -- they're all familiar words.

ab_grp, if you found an obvious word in LB, you'll see it's mate without much difficulty.

ab_grp

Thank you, Langue_doc! Got a (the?) 2fer! I finally found an obvious word.  Then I thought there is no way I could make a mate but wait... yep! Then it popped out. 

Congrats on your (our?) 2fer, cathwen! I hope you had luck with the bee, too!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBWCH - Queen Bee With Commenter Hints. Last words were bonito, hobnob which I forget is a fish, and thought was spelled hobknob.

LB - jukebox-xylophone of course. Sometimes it's easier when there is only one solution so I don't go down the rabbit hole.

Woke up at 3 AM and have GwP and a decent 2fer. So no excuses to not grade.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

I'm in shock as I just found the pangram which happened to be my last and only word to get me to QB. Now that the bee, the crosswords and sudokus (completed last night), and vertex are done, what am I going to do with myself the rest of the day? I've been waking up after four hours of sleep, and sometimes getting back to sleep after some bee-ing, but on days like today, staying awake only to crash at some point in the afternoon. Meetings and grading today, so crashing is not an option.

LB: "the" solution.

Last word yesterday was boob!

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Also QBWCH for bonito.  I really must increase my fish knowledge.

Today I am at QB-1 five letter word. 

LB:  I also had the official jukebox-xylophone.  I have a 2fer today, too.

Langue_doc, I hope that your meetings are not soporific and cause you to crash!

My big grading day will be Friday, as the deadline for submitting the final exam is Thursday.  Not looking forward to it, but I am looking forward to the end of the semester, which will happen only when I've submitted my grades.  I'm tired! 

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Easy QBABM today! Congrats, Langue_doc! The pangram wasn't that easy, and there weren't too many words to begin with, so I can imagine it being last.  Good luck, cathwen! My final one yesterday was hobnob.  I totally misread ciao_yall's post as saying it was a fish! Good thing I reread. 

Same LB solution, thanks again to Langue_doc! When I got jukebox, I thought that was a pretty obvious one but thought there was no way I'd find a mate that started with x or ended with j! And then, of course.  Congrats on your 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

Good luck with grading and meetings! Cathwen, I hope you can rest up before your big grading event on Friday.

Langue_doc, maybe you could reward yourself with a little dip into puzzlemania...

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

xylophone is one of those words I always look for when I see an x and y. So when I saw box, then jukebox it was a happy moment in my otherwise quiet little world.

Parasaurolophus

Genius without the pangram so far
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Sam reiterated on Twitter today that there will be a multiple pangram bee later this week (most ever!) and added that next week will have a puzzle with a Q that will need to be used frequently.